Quantcast

Depression , keen to know other peoples coping mechanisms and experiences .......

mij

Great to hear it's helping Paul, the feelings you have will be due to all of the changes you have made. Enjoy them and stick with it :thumbsup: Have you tried exercise to help with the sleep problem? I find even the smallest amount can quieten my mind helping me to sleep, when my mind begins to race even a gentle walk in the park can sometimes help.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Great to hear it's helping Paul, the feelings you have will be due to all of the changes you have made. Enjoy them and stick with it :thumbsup: Have you tried exercise to help with the sleep problem? I find even the smallest amount can quieten my mind helping me to sleep, when my mind begins to race even a gentle walk in the park can sometimes help.
Cheers kidda , lots of work still to do , but I can at least see the light for the first time in a long time , got a meeting at work next week to discuss where it goes next , that should be interesting , there will be things I cannot say in that meeting for various reasons so I’m thinking about penning a letter strictly for personnel’s eyes only , just hope they are professional enough to do with it what I want without any comeback on me ....

mij

Have a look at the Mind website, they may have some information that may help before you do anything.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
another interesting day , been put upto 200mg of sertraline by my GP , went to work for the meeting , and all seemed to go ok , they asked why I was so worried about going back and I told them straight , I said I thought I was going to be sacked , they told me that wasn't the case at all , so it just shows how your own mind can blow things out of all proportion , which is exactly what the psychologist said to me , so now I will be back to work in a couple of weeks , they asked me if I wanted the disciplinary meeting before I went back and said yes , makes sense to start with at least as clean a slate as possible , and after more discussion with the psychologist we have decided the root cause of most of my issues was alcohol , I wasn't quite an alcoholic but maybe close , so , if you think you are on that slippery slope please please please seek help before you end up as far down the path as I have been ......

mjn

Distinguished Member
The north east can be depressing. I know, i grew up there, my family still live there. Very familiar with Spennymoor, Ferryhill, Metal Bridge, Doggie, etc. I’m there helping my elderly parents every 6 weeks or so. There is nothing there, although some areas are seeing massive redevelopment. The new Amazon warehouse near the A1 at junction 61 will provide new jobs. They’re building new housing estates but no facilities.

A lot of the former mining towns and villages are a shadow of their former selves as well, it must all be fairly depressing. You don’t really notice it when you’re younger, you just seem to enjoy life. Then you realise that after school, opportunities are slim.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Couldn’t agree more about the majority of ex pit villages , there was a series on bbc recently about police in that area , it was shocking .....

reiteration

I remember visiting a place at Seaham once, it was like a ghost town.

yep, I'm originally from Newcastle, but got a job in peterlee (of all places) back in '99...wasn't driving, so moved down to murton, was a bit of an eye opener, but the people were friendly as anything..! used to go to seaham a bit at first as if I was going to Newcastle then I'd get a bus there... that area has been tidied up since, but the overall area is still poor... I've long since moved away from that part now, but still have a drive down that way from time to time..

mij

another interesting day , been put upto 200mg of sertraline by my GP , went to work for the meeting , and all seemed to go ok , they asked why I was so worried about going back and I told them straight , I said I thought I was going to be sacked , they told me that wasn't the case at all , so it just shows how your own mind can blow things out of all proportion , which is exactly what the psychologist said to me , so now I will be back to work in a couple of weeks , they asked me if I wanted the disciplinary meeting before I went back and said yes , makes sense to start with at least as clean a slate as possible , and after more discussion with the psychologist we have decided the root cause of most of my issues was alcohol , I wasn't quite an alcoholic but maybe close , so , if you think you are on that slippery slope please please please seek help before you end up as far down the path as I have been ......
Good to hear that you are getting there :smashin: Alcohol like all drugs can be the cause or the result of depression, best way is to just deal with the problem...But again, easier said than done. Stay positive.

The north east can be depressing. I know, i grew up there, my family still live there. Very familiar with Spennymoor, Ferryhill, Metal Bridge, Doggie, etc. I’m there helping my elderly parents every 6 weeks or so. There is nothing there, although some areas are seeing massive redevelopment. The new Amazon warehouse near the A1 at junction 61 will provide new jobs. They’re building new housing estates but no facilities.

A lot of the former mining towns and villages are a shadow of their former selves as well, it must all be fairly depressing. You don’t really notice it when you’re younger, you just seem to enjoy life. Then you realise that after school, opportunities are slim.
As well as the North East, I have also lived all over this country and think the same can be said of anywhere if it's poor and with out opportunity, lot's of places just like that down south and including parts of London unfortunately. Too much neglect for too long in the north east as an whole has resulted in things I never thought I would see though, the tories winning seats there was one of them.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Good to hear that you are getting there :smashin: Alcohol like all drugs can be the cause or the result of depression, best way is to just deal with the problem...But again, easier said than done. Stay positive.

As well as the North East, I have also lived all over this country and think the same can be said of anywhere if it's poor and with out opportunity, lot's of places just like that down south and including parts of London unfortunately. Too much neglect for too long in the north east as an whole has resulted in things I never thought I would see though, the tories winning seats there was one of them.

thanks , as for your second part , Ben Houchen is working wonders in the Tees Valley area after years of as you say neglect .....

AdamskiP

Currently going through a difficult spell of anxiety and depression. Mainly caused by work, being 37 and feeling like I’ve under achieved (I’m sure we all feel like that) and a bit of Coronavirus worry thrown in for good measure.
most of the stuff is physical and awful tbh. My throat feels closed and I can hyperventilate easy or habitually cough. Get pins and needles in hands and sometimes head, shoulder pain from being so tense, random sweating in public places etc. Then of course I am aware of all this sh*t so I am crap to be around as well, which again I’m aware of and that makes me feel even worse.
I am on day 4 of being off from work. I took about 4 months off a couple of years ago when this happened for the first time, went on sertraline and sought therapy. Things improved but now I realise it was just a band aid. This time I need to try and find some things that are going to work more permanently.

I am going to remain positive. My Wife is amazing and I want to be the best I can be for me and her.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
pretty much echoes my situation , you obviously want help , do you have medical cover at work ? , if you do then you may be able to get some more counselling , it has helped me , no end , why did you stop the sertraline ? , be careful with the cough and sweats , I started like that and ended up in hospital with pneumonia .......

AdamskiP

pretty much echoes my situation , you obviously want help , do you have medical cover at work ? , if you do then you may be able to get some more counselling , it has helped me , no end , why did you stop the sertraline ? , be careful with the cough and sweats , I started like that and ended up in hospital with pneumonia .......
Yeah I have medical cover at work. Ended Sertraline because I was weened off it. Perhaps I shouldn’t have.
Pretty sure I don’t have pneumonia. I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago and all good. I cough more when I am super stressed and the sweating only happens under extreme pressure, like very built up locations. Totally anxiety based. Going back to Docs on Wednesday so I will mention it just to be sure. Hope you are feeling better?

mij

thanks , as for your second part , Ben Houchen is working wonders in the Tees Valley area after years of as you say neglect .....
Yes, the two main parties have both badly neglected the north east for all of my life. I do hope things improve quickly up there, but I doubt it.

I would happily live there now as I am retired and would benefit from the cheaper house prices, along with some very nice places to visit and walk in every direction. My still young nephews who live there would disagree though :(

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
You may have missed it but there is something called the green book which contains a funding formula for government spending which allocates more money to the south east, particularly London on the basis that more wealth can be generated.
In January there was a small item about this last month about reversing the formula so the emphasis is on other regions.
This is going to be slow but it is the first change for decades.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Well, I've not been on here over the last year or 2 much due to depression and anxiety issues. Even to the point I would right replies to threads then delete in case I came across as arrogant. Unfounded I know but things really hit me hard, self confidence was very low.
The way I have coped is to evaluate the things that cause a low and try and tackle or distance myself from them. Many small things can build up, then add a huge thing and it all goes south. My mental health has taken a kicking recently and back on medication. It appears to help me as some days I have back my self confidence but then it just falls away.
I have spoken with people and also tackled things head on which has then caused other problems but these are not my doing so I tell myself its not my fault. I can't take the blame for everything.
I seem to be on a round about all the time.
My marriage is still holding but only just really, wouldnt take much to tip the balance.
Good luck to anyone suffering

richp007

Distinguished Member
Yep and I wonder if there's any possibility of the mods making it a sticky thread at all? Could be great help for someone who might not realise it's here if it got lost amongst all the other threads.

mij

Currently going through a difficult spell of anxiety and depression. Mainly caused by work, being 37 and feeling like I’ve under achieved (I’m sure we all feel like that) and a bit of Coronavirus worry thrown in for good measure.
most of the stuff is physical and awful tbh. My throat feels closed and I can hyperventilate easy or habitually cough. Get pins and needles in hands and sometimes head, shoulder pain from being so tense, random sweating in public places etc. Then of course I am aware of all this sh*t so I am crap to be around as well, which again I’m aware of and that makes me feel even worse.
I am on day 4 of being off from work. I took about 4 months off a couple of years ago when this happened for the first time, went on sertraline and sought therapy. Things improved but now I realise it was just a band aid. This time I need to try and find some things that are going to work more permanently.

I am going to remain positive. My Wife is amazing and I want to be the best I can be for me and her.
Good luck, and as Paul said go and get that counselling. Understanding and acceptance are a big part of learning how to deal with this.