Deposit of £150 required?

FishDUDE

Prominent Member
http://www.mcvuk.com/

quite an expensive deposit.

looks like its going to be like the ps2 and sony are dealing directrly with the customers via the retailer.

wonder what gamestation are going to do now? i understand they have already taken deposits.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Wow, now that is a big deposit. Mind you, after the whole Xbox360 ebay business, I kind of think it's fair enough in a way I suppose.

Personally I'd have payed for my 360 in full instead of just a deposit if that had been the only option. As it happened though £20 was asked so that was what I put down.

tripodjw

Established Member
Tetlee said:
Wow, now that is a big deposit. Mind you, after the whole Xbox360 ebay business, I kind of think it's fair enough in a way I suppose.

Personally I'd have payed for my 360 in full instead of just a deposit if that had been the only option. As it happened though £20 was asked so that was what I put down.

I agree, if i had been 100% guaranteed a 360, and would be 100% guaranteed a PS3 and Wii at launch i would happily pay the full retail price as my deposit. If it means i'd only klose a few pence in interest in the bank i would much rather guarantee myself a console.

stevos

Distinguished Member
Assuming this is true, what does it mean for people like myself who have already preordered a ps3. Will i be contacted by the retailer looking for a deposit or will my order not be processed. P.s. my preorder is with play.com

muzzi

Established Member
I have one on pre order in Germany. The deposite was only 50 euros (£35), But if it gurentees console on release, then it has to be worth it!

muzzi

Established Member
I don't see how this will stop PS3's from being sold on ebay. It will just mean tha kids who don't have a job, won't be able to pre-order maybe more than 1!

Deleted member 112955

If anyone really wants a machine at launch I wouldn't preorder with any online retailers. A lot of people that did the same with the 360 from places like Amazon and Play ended up disappointed. Best bet is to get down to your local store the day the official preorder scheme starts and get your order in.

On the subject of the deposit, if your buying a £500 console does it really matter how much the deposit is? I think a high deposit will stop a lot of time wasters ordering one who aren't serious about buying.

Don't think it'll stop the ebayers though!

JamesOD

Established Member
As long as your guarenteed a machine on day 1 I cannot see the problem.

It will only be an issue if they over subscribe tbh.

Most customers where I work have started putting money onto gift cards as a way of saving up for the machine (lets face it most of us would feel it if we had to pay full price + buy a few games on the day) atleast this way it will make the blow a bit easier to absorb

stevos

Distinguished Member
Has there been any news on when the official shop pre order schemes are likely to start?

pez

Established Member
Sony are still negotiating with retailers at the moment. The thinking is that it may be 1 per household, with Sony organising everything.

the £150 amount is to stop people going into several shops and pre ordering multiple times (which is easy to do when a pre order costs a fiver).

pez

stevos

Distinguished Member
How much warning is normally given between the decision and the actual preordering day?

JamesOD

Established Member
Stevos it depends, once the store advertises that they are acepting pre-orders it is on a first come first served basis obviously if you have left your name with a company they should call you and ask you to come in asap to place a cash deposit..

If it is the same system as the ps2 (Looks very similar just using a larger deposit) then each store will have a limited number of forms and once they are gone it is gone for day 1 machines tbh.

Could be bad for gamestation as they are going to have to refund all those pre-orders or hold forms for the customers who put deposits down already and hope they will come in and pay another £130 on top thats providing sony give them enough forms to cover the existing orders.

I had a feeling this would happen when no one else was willing to take cash deposits on the machine I just did not think the deposit would be that large.

Kahled

Established Member
Now I wish that was something that all such releases had, if not paying the full 100% on pre-order. The XBox 360 launch was a disaster and helped in no small part by the profiteers who's only purpose in buying one was to sell on e-bay anticipating the demand. I would quite happily have paid full price for a guaranteed pre-order rather than get all the sheer aggro of the Amazon screw ups and missing on the console I wanted (I actually managed to get a Core system from Dixons a few days later otherwise I would have gone out of my mind).

The problem of the e-bay scumbags and ripping off the gamers who just want the new toy is never going to go away but such a deposit should certainly help... bravo! Let's hope it's something done for the Wii launch.

sleepylaser

Prominent Member
I think it's a pretty smart move too. And I hope that whoever oversees the scheme can effectively ensure a proper retail launch- so the fans only have to pay the cover price, and don't get ripped off by ebayers who provide absolutely no value for their added fees.

Seems like a double bind of centralised pre-ordering (to root out any obvious 3-4 console per household chancers), and £150 deposit (to put off those chancers who don't have £450-600 to blow right away) could be effective. However don't overstate the effectiveness of the deposit scheme- the ebayers would still have had to cough up the 3-4 x console price at launch anyway (which they're obviously ok to do). Moving the costs forward only effects the timing of their transactions, and puts a bit of a squeeze on them should they be found out and the deposits not be refundable (which I doubt would be entirely legal).

edit: Not impressed with those retailers who've jumped the gun. 400 long pre-order list at my local gamestation = logistical customer relations nightmare. You have to laugh though at how uncomfortable thy're going to be when they have to go back over their lists and deposit slips for the official scheme.

Twan1

Ex Member
Must admit, i actually prefer the larger deposit as Approx £450 machine then £45 per game was gettin to be quite a lot of money but at least by paying a larger deposit now it wont hurt so much on the day :)

stevos

Distinguished Member
I have to say this is a really bad move, must people like myself are unable to pop down to my local retailer during the week because i am at work, which means i will miss out. Okay the ebay thing was stupid but the lack of consoles sort of help build up the press hype which has helped the console sell well in the long run.

MS could have easierly delayed it for a couple of months to match the interest if they had wanted, so could sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Klipsch The Sevens Powered Speaker Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom