• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Deport Yashika Bageerathi Yes or No?

Should Yashika Bageerathi Be Deported?

• Total voters

robel

Is there a good reason not to?

Phil57

The authorities in her home country should deal with the reason the family is seeking asylum.
The reason the family is seeking asylum is NOT a valid reason in my opinion,
That said it is her parents at fault, not the girl.
Yes I think that she should be permitted to finish her education, so long as there is no cost to the tax payer.
The family as a whole, should then be deported.

RuddyRoad

She's in this country illegally. She's an adult, not a child. Her case has been heard before the court 5 times and her appeal for asylum has been denied. To allow her to stay now would be showing preferential treatment and that's hardly fair on all the others who have been denied asylum and sent home. I'm sure she is a very nice person and it must be upsetting for the people who have made friends with her, but that's not an excuse for mob rule. We have a legal system in this country and a decision has been made. I would deport her.

robel

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
So I presume you're voting "yes"...

Voted no. Of all the despicable cretins we decide to keep in this country, we're sending a star maths student away. I guess "rules are rules" right?

RuddyRoad

So by that logic, people with lower IQs should be deported, but not people who will get good exam results. What a great way to differentiate, should be added to the immigration policy.

RuddyRoad

I'm really not sure how that is relevant. Genuinely. I don't see why the UK could reasonably make a decision on asylum based on possible future exam results. That's unfairly discriminatory. Applicants who want to come to the UK can clearly use qualifications to increase their points, but presumably that's because the qualifications would have a purpose in terms of the applicants utility to the UK. Totally different situations.

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
Yes totally different. One is immigrants coming to the country with qualifications. The other is a 19yr old who is predicted As and A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French, who moved here with her family to escape an abusive relationship, being sent back to Mauritius (after two other airlines refused to fly her) on the same day as the Clegg/Farage debate so that the ConDems can appear to be "tough on immigration and asylum seekers".

Geege

RuddyRoad

So can you help me understand why predicted exam results can be considered a good way to decide on someone's asylum status, and why that's not discriminatory?

robel

Yes totally different. One is immigrants coming to the country with qualifications. The other is a 19yr old who is predicted As and A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French, who moved here with her family to escape an abusive relationship, being sent back to Mauritius (after two other airlines refused to fly her) on the same day as the Clegg/Farage debate so that the ConDems can appear to be "tough on immigration and asylum seekers".

I was under the impression that she flew here separately.....

Sonic67

Banned
How come she came half way round the world to escape domestic abuse?

Student's Family Lose Deportation Battle

Why has this case attracted so much attention? They aren't fleeing a war zone and the asylum claim has only come out now after lying on the visa application. All very sad but so is every case and anyway she is now on the plane.

hopeless

I agree with Phil57. Their asylum claim is weak. Physically abusive relative? That's a matter for the Mauritius police.

This country doesn't owe her asylum or an education.

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
I was under the impression that she flew here separately.....

I don't know all the facts. She may well have done, and followed her mum, sister and brother here, as she was 15/16 at the time.

So can you help me understand why predicted exam results can be considered a good way to decide on someone's asylum status, and why that's not discriminatory?

Because unlike some of the scrotes we let in, it's unlikely an A* student with offers from top universities will end up being a net drain on the system.

How come she came half way round the world to escape domestic abuse?

Perhaps its because they felt Britain was somewhere they would be safe, unlike the multitude of countries in between (Kenya, Somalia, Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Libya...)

I get that but you can just move to a different town.

I'll guess you've never been to Mauritius - its a small place - about an hour to drive, top to bottom.

RuddyRoad

Because unlike some of the scrotes we let in, it's unlikely an A* student with offers from top universities will end up being a net drain on the system.
I'll take that as a no then.

Sonic67

Banned
I don't know all the facts. .
Yet you are going to argue all the same? Well done.
Seems like every year the newspapers are full of people waving their exam results about.
Perhaps its because they felt Britain was somewhere they would be safe, unlike the multitude of countries in between (Kenya, Somalia, Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Libya...)
They aren't the only countries on the planet. Any reason why here and not France at least?
I'll guess you've never been to Mauritius - its a small place - about an hour to drive, top to bottom.
So is Cyprus, and lots of other countries. In a case of domestic abuse you can just call the police. I don't get why that gives you automatic right to asylum here. Also we only have their word there is any abuse at all. Surprisingly this stuff only ever comes out when deportation is suggested. The country itself is regarded as perfectly safe.

D

Deleted member 498601

I voted no. Only in a country as screwed up as the UK do the taxpayers pay for legal aid to keep criminals and terrorists IN the country, yet send someone who could be a of real benefit to our country 'home'.

If our government spent more time and effort getting rid of the scumbags in this country who are out to cause us harm (and do) and invested in the people who want to come here and work hard, then we'd be better off imo.

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
I'll take that as a no then.

Not sure which bit you don't understand? Asylum claims are based on both positives and negatives - on an individual basis - they could have let her stay. They chose not to on the day of the Clegg/Farage debate.

RuddyRoad

I heard you the first time. The other five court hearings had nothing to do with the Clegg/Farage debate. Irrespective of possible exam results, I would have thought being a liar on a visa application would score you negative points :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom