Depeche Mode SACDs versus Depeche Mode DVDs (5.1 DD/ DTS)

windhoek

Has anyone heard any DM albums in both formats in 5.1, or even heard one DM album in one format and another DM album in the other? If yes, how do they compare? I ask because I've ordered some DM SACDs and some albums in a CD/ DVD (5.1 DD/ DTS) digipack. I now wonder though, whether I'd be better of holding out till I get the others in SACD if the DVD surround mixes don't sound good.

Fwiw, I've ordered Ultra, Playing The Angel and A Broken Frame in SACD and Black Celebration, The Great Reward and Sounds of the Universe in CD/ DVD.

Last edited:

windhoek

For instance, Music For The Masses CD/ DVD costs about £9 whereas Music For The Masses SACD costs about £18. Is it worth it to pay double the price for similar content?

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
windhoek said:
For instance, Music For The Masses CD/ DVD costs about £9 whereas Music For The Masses SACD costs about £18. Is it worth it to pay double the price for similar content?
Well, from a technical standpoint , DVD audio and SACD are both lossless, whereas if it's actually Dolby digital and dts we are talking about here, that's lossy encoding.
The bitrate on the lossless discs is much higher and with the right gear there should be a considerable difference. Much the same as there is for example, between the same music titles on DVD and Blu ray.

Last edited:

windhoek

I agree in principle the SACDs should sound better; I just wonder whether they actually do and if so, by how much. Maybe I'll just buy the cheapish SACDs and the albums where the SACDs are OOP out of my budget, go for the DVD versions.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
In My experience they do sound very different. Looking at your gear list , I have no doubt you will notice it too.

windhoek

OK, I've just ordered Music for the Masses and Some Great Reward on SACD. The rest are just a bit out of my budget or way out of my budget. I'll just get the others in CD/ DVD and live with that. that means I've now got on SACD

Music for the Masses
Ultra
Playing the Angel
A Broken Frame
Some Great Reward

and on CD/ DVD

Black Celebration
Sounds of the Universe (not available in SACD anyway)

I'll return the CD/ DVD of Some Great Reward for a refund as it's not been opened yet.

Last edited:

oz72

Please let me know if you compare the DTS and SACD and let me know if there is an improvement.

windhoek

Please let me know if you compare the DTS and SACD and let me know if there is an improvement.
I wasn't able to do a blind test, but after a quick back to back of some songs from Music for the Masses, I'd say the SACD (5.1) beats the DTS (5.1). There seemed to be an extra sharpness about the SACD and the channel separation seemed more defined. If you live in Glasgow you're welcome to come round and try it for yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom