Denton 80 Upgrade?

D

Deleted member 927641

Hi. I'm new here and no hifi expert, and have searched the site but cant find an answer to my question regarding a Denton 80 upgrade. If I missed something, apologies.

I have Denton 80s which I love. I just wish it had 'better' high frequency resolution - I really like the sound, just after more HF detail without brightness if possible. Can anyone suggest a significantly better speaker with a similar sound signature, which I would describe as warm, rich, smooth?

I asked the question of local dealer, and while they recommended the Lintons, they also indicated they be too much for my 4.5 x 5.5 x 2m (low ceiling) room that I listen across. There was a quick discussion about plugs, which I know little about effectiveness.

An overseas dealer suggested ATC SCM7. I think these (and 11 or 19's) could (definitely) qualify as significantly better, but from what I've read, not sound similar.

I've even considered finding a speaker expert about whether potentially swapping out the tweeter was a good option, as everything else about the speaker works. From what ive read I understand, changing tweeters is not completely straight forward (impedance, sensitivity, crossover, size etc) , but potentially possible whether a good idea or not.

Speakers I will audition so far are ProAc DB1, and Spendor 3/1. I've been told that D2R bass will be likely too much for my room.

Any thoughts or suggestions most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Helix Hifi

Plugs? Do you mean bass bungs. It’s efficient if you need to place the speakers closer to the walls. Because closer to the walls the bass might be muddy.

I suggest you look at KEF, Monitor Audio,Dali. Most likely this speakers we’ll not sound the same. It’s difficult to tell exactly. Spendor, ACT we’ll probably be better. Not listed to this speakers.

Linton are huge speakers. But 4,5 meters, 5,5 meters room might work. It could be the Linton need around 1 meter, 1,5 meters from the back walls. The woofers move a lot of air, so they need some space from the back walls.

In this room I also suggest the Dali Oberon 5 speakers. In my opinion Dali, Monitor audio, KEF are on the warm side of neutral. The high frequency have more bite to them. But most likely don’t have the romantic midrange of the Wharfdale speakers.

My opinion. If you are pretty happy with the setup you have now, don’t change anything.

You don’t mention anything which amplifier you use. Rotel as an example probably we’ll suit the Wharfdale speakers very good.

Floor standing speakers and so on in a very small room, large room is up to you. With digital room connection it probably don’t matter anyway. So google room correction.

I use floor standing speakers in similar room, works fine. Before I used the Dali Oberon 5, it worked fine too.

3rdignis

I use a lesser version of room correction to great effect.

D

Deleted member 927641

Thanks Helix Hifi for your reply.

Yes I meant bass bungs. Thanks for the correction and for the speaker suggestions. I will definitely look into those. It is very helpful.

It is a good suggestion about being pretty happy with the system to just keep what I have. I have thought about that a lot actually, and that could be a real possibility. Overall, the system works for me, but am researching options.

My amp is an older amp, a Marantz PM7200. After much ongoing researching and one audition, two key upgrade options I am very seriously considering are the PrimaLuna Evo 400i, and Denon PMA SX11. In order of preference, my 'B' list of options include Rotel 1592 mk11 (or 1572), Yamaha SA2200 (or 1200), Musical Fidelity M5si, and Luxman 505uxii. I didn't mention amps as my original (and first) post would have become even larger =)

I thought floor standers would be too much. I had Focal Chorus 726 for years, which given their characteristics were actually OK for the room size. I recently sold those as overall they just were not magical for my ears given my tastes.

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions, and I will google digital room correction.

Helix Hifi

Wow, some serious amplifiers you are looking at. To be honest I believe they are overkill for your speakers.

Rather upgrade the speakers, or keep them.

You could of course try the amplifiers mentioned. The ones which probably well give you warmer sound are Luxman, MF, Primaluna.

Yamaha usually sound quite neutral, epically the high end amplifiers.

If you want more neutral sound then Rotel is better, and for far less money then the ones mentioned above.

Rotel Tribute, Rotel RA14MK2. Just few.

I advice you to listen to the amplifiers first. Home demo, if possible.

I’ve had the Marantz before. It’s very warm sounding amplifier, with rolled of treble.

Then you add the Wharfdale into mix too. So warm sound equals warm sound.

The Focal. Are they floor standing speakers?

D

Deleted member 927641

Wow, some serious amplifiers you are looking at. To be honest I believe they are overkill for your speakers.

Rather upgrade the speakers, or keep them.

You could of course try the amplifiers mentioned. The ones which probably well give you warmer sound are Luxman, MF, Primaluna.

Yamaha usually sound quite neutral, epically the high end amplifiers.

If you want more neutral sound then Rotel is better, and for far less money then the ones mentioned above.

Rotel Tribute, Rotel RA14MK2. Just few.

I advice you to listen to the amplifiers first. Home demo, if possible.

I’ve had the Marantz before. It’s very warm sounding amplifier, with rolled of treble.

Then you add the Wharfdale into mix too. So warm sound equals warm sound.

The Focal. Are they floor standing speakers?
Yes, the Focal Chorus 726 are floor standing. Thanks

Helix Hifi

It’s not large room per say. But not small either. Still you need to try different speakers and see.

I suggest trying the Dali Oberon 5. They are pretty forgiving when it comes to speaker placement.

Other options might be QA 3030i. Or Rega speakers. Rega speakers are supposed to very room friendly.

D

Deleted member 927641

It’s not large room per say. But not small either. Still you need to try different speakers and see.

I suggest trying the Dali Oberon 5. They are pretty forgiving when it comes to speaker placement.

Other options might be QA 3030i. Or Rega speakers. Rega speakers are supposed to very room friendly.
Thanks for the additional speaker suggestions. I will absolutely look into them.

While I consider upgrading my whole system from source to speakers, it is the speakers I'm initially having the most difficulty with. Maybe asking for something that is the same but better is a very difficult question to answer. It was worth asking though to find that out. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom