Dented tweeter dome

A

Alan_eye

Someone (suspect on of my son's friends) got curious about the 'shiny' thing behind the speaker grill on my KEF C9 centre speaker and put two small dents in it. Is it going to affect the speaker? I'm thinking it is going to have somekind of detrimental effect, even if it's only marginal. Anybody know for sure? Is it fixable?
Cheers
Alan

alexs2

Distinguished Member
It may affect the sound quality,as the shape of the radiating surface is distorted,but it may not be noticeable in practice.
As to fixing it....some people have tried applying a vacuum to damaged tweeters(don't ask me how!)to attempt to reform the shape,but I'd personally think the easiest and best way is to have your dealer replace it....the cost should be very reasonable.

A

Alan_eye

I've just rung two local HiFi dealers who were of the opinion that two small dents (one about 3mm on the front the other about 2mm on the side) shouldn't make any difference to the sound.

I'll always be wondering though won't I? :mad:

A

Alan_eye

Another dome? Or another speaker? If they send another dome how is it fitted?

csx1

Originally posted by Alan_eye
Another dome? Or another speaker? If they send another dome how is it fitted?

Dome

It can be done quite easily yourself. I did one on my Kef Q9. I think it was about £15

They also gave me a set of feet for free as mine were damaged.

CSX

A

Alan_eye

Really? How is the dome attached? I had a look, but obviously didn't mess with it much.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom