Dented NW-HD5 - how do I remove the case?!

A

adamsharif

Hi,

I've accidentally dented the back of my HD5 player, and want to remove the case and attempt to get rid of the dent... how can I remove the player, the fit seems very tight and it doesn't want to budge after removing the 3 screws...

Think you'll find it's laquered shut. You'll probably do more damage to it by opening it.

shadowritten said:
Only, vikingboy (the poster) hasn't been on for ages ... try PM'ing him.

If only he reported how the disk swapping went so we could know if a 80gb hd5 is still just a dream... :D

joora said:
If only he reported how the disk swapping went so we could know if a 80gb hd5 is still just a dream... :D

Perhaps it all went horribly wrong? :eek:

You can download the service manual at www.atraclife.com. There you will find how to remove the back cover. Anyway,are you absolutely sure you want to do that???. Don't forget your warranty will fly away....

Regards

joora said:
ONLY IF....
I PMed him but no response.......
I almost filled out my 20GB and I still didnt touch my collection of 80GB back home...

hb1966 said:
Top sticky on the HDD page of the forum points to the manuals.

Or you could just click on HD5 Service Manual you'll need to register though.

Many thanks ... yeah, had to register.

So, I've learned that the HD5 ISN'T sealed in two halves around its narrowest edge (as I'd previously assumed), and that the service menu you access to uncap volume isn't all that exciting at all!

What impressed me, though, was looking at the circuit diagrams. What an ingenius piece of electronic engineering! No idea how it all works, but staggering to marvel at, nonetheless.

adamsharif said:
Hi,

I've accidentally dented the back of my HD5 player, and want to remove the case and attempt to get rid of the dent... how can I remove the player, the fit seems very tight and it doesn't want to budge after removing the 3 screws...

I took mine apart, and you probably could undent the case.
Just be very careful when taking it off, remember to take the little wrist strap off before you pull hard on the top, I didn't and snapped a bit of the plastic cover off, DOH, but glued it back on, all good. I was able to remove most of the dust under the screen, but like 1 spec is still there, even after i wiped it so i dunno. its alot better now, and it still works!, so to a degree mission successful.

Although if you have the time, I would send it in to Sony to get the dent removed or dust cleared.

Also, the buttons are attached to the outside case, so I didn't attempt to remove them.

hb1966 said:
Top sticky on the HDD page of the forum points to the manuals.

Or you could just click on HD5 Service Manual you'll need to register though.

Many thanks for the link, always like to have full service manuals for my toys :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom