1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

densen beat 100 integrated ampmk5 anyone have one of these

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Jul 30, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    went into accoustic arts today a dealer in watford they sell high end sterio gear, asked about my bw cdm1nts (lacking something in sterio with denon 3802) when i said my speakers were wired singerly using qed s/anaversery he suggested bi wiring is a (must) suggested dnm reson cable, as regards an amp i asked what amp gives real sonic benifit with cdm1nts, dealer said they have demoed cdm1nts for customers with eg roksan in/amp arcam a 85, and then the densen beat 100 int/amp , customers demoing the above stated (densen much better amp) densen is dearer than the others (£900) i did not demo any amps at this stage will try the (biwire route to see if this improves anything first ) views on the above please

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A bit late I know, but I have the Mk II.

Absolutely love it.

It's one of those amps where reviews are off the mark. You definatley have to try it with your set up.

I drive Celestion A1's with it. For some reason, it prefers tougher loads. You get so much more out of it.

Quite lively and fun for sure, but I find it pretty good at the female vocal stuff too.

I'd love to turn it right up and pile drive my A1's. Neighbours!

I do know it has current limiting in its power supply, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to its sound quality. It just gives more. Maybe the MK 5 is different.

I wouldn't swap mine for anything else! In fact, I'm always on the look out for a Beat 300 power amp to bi-amp the Celestion with.

3. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    densen beat 100 now that an amp had one driving my CDM7SE once on demo wow lovely sound to it just couldn't pay that much back then 2 years ago + :smashin: try picknig one up 2nd hand worth ago

boogie man:clap:

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for reply,
    in trying to find amp that suited my cdm1nts, i later found there was a fault with cdm1nts, a tweeter driver was faulty,something to do with voice coil,this was replaced by b&W under warrenty.

when i recieved them back there was a great deal of differance in quality of sound than before, even with 3802, it was the differance in cdms at dealers vs my pair,that was giving sonic differances.

i did demo densen beat mk5, roksan caspian, with cdms,but did not compare side by side with 3802, me and mate had quite a long demo with a range of cds, but as i wanted to use in conjuction with 3802 doing av, and densen for sterio duties ,2 volume contols etc,

the densen costs £900, although not trying at home i could not to be honest justify the outlay,for the modest increase in quality i might gain over 3802, i am sure the densen is better than 3802 but thought i would try something cheaper if possible.

i did try cyrus 7 ex dem at home cost £450, with my rather "duff" hearing but could not tell much differance if any between c7 and 3802, my m8 heard both and thought the c7 much better for sterio.

i have seen densen mk2 or later for about £450-£500 but would have to be able to try at home first,not always possible no transport and second hand purchases/ densen dealer few and far between thank you

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I used my Yamaha A2 as a stereo amp for a while whilst my back room was being decorated, normally where the Densen lives.

Going back to the Densen was night and day obviously better, and in every way possible.

With the A2, we'd become 'used' to a weedy, thin sound that just paled in comparison. I'd argue that the Denon 3803 won't be much better at stereo itself.

The Roksan you mention is also supposed to be a stormer too, even though I haven't heard one, their reputation preceeds them.

From my own experiences with stereo vrs av, stereo amps are light years ahead, and the av amp is only bolstered by good marketing and bad reviews claiming that they equal a stereo amp.

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I know what I hear.

If you can't squeeze in two systems, then a good AV amp is a fair compromise, just so long as AV is the priority.

I had once thought of integrating my Densen into the AV rig, but too much messing about, cost and inconvenience.

I use a HK 5500 for AV at the moment. Ok to good in stereo driving KEF Ref 2, but not ideal.

Just looking at the latest HCC has given me food for thought in the Primare direction. They have a new integrated AV amp coming shortly, less than the pre/power as reviewed, but still £2K!!!:eek: That's the sort of level I really believe you start to get best of both worlds. Anything else is a false economy somewhere.

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    gs i quite agree a good av/or sterio amp would be ideal but just have not got the funds to go to anything like the £1500-£2000 needed for such,
    when i first got cdms back after (repair) the denons tuner seemed to give better quality of sound in genaral than nad541cd player, have not tried a better cd player yet, this could be part of the sound quality issue, thank you

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Not easy is it? Like me, always the cashflow that restricts things.

Never mind.

2nd hand is the route I use now to help step up the ladder each time.

8. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know someone is selling a Densen Beat B100 on hififorsale.com for £275:eek:

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    £275????:eek: :eek: :suicide:

Off his trolley.

I'd snap that up if I were you. I'd put them more at £400 - £500 depending on condition.