Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DENSEN Amps: Here we go again....

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Knightshade, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi All,
    After deciding on the Chords. I've just listened to something that in my opinion is superior. Richer sound, better detail and better imaging. :eek:
    Thing is i've never heard of it before. It looks nice and it sounds great.
    Company is Densen, Danish I believe. I Listened to 2 BEAT B-350 Monoblock power amps. Compared directly to the Chord 1200 Power amp. With the Chord SPM 3200 as pre. Not an unbiased test I know but they outdid the 1200 Power amp with ease. The dealer didn't have the Densen Pre BEAT B-250 (should be in shortly) to really test the system properly but given the cost of these amps compared to the Chords (A lot less) I was wondering if anyone had had experience with them?
    Thanks Guys.

2. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Densen are a very well established and well regarded hi-fi brand. I haven't listened to anything of theirs for about 10 years, but remember the stuff I did hear having a lovely rich warm sound with bags of detail. I would have thought bass tightness would suffer in comparison to the Chords however.
    Likely to be more my kind of amp than the Chord on balance, as I love musical toe-tapping amps

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    We used to have a Densen Beat 100 integrated. Fantastic amp. It sounded great on the end of KEF Ref 2s that needed big power to drive them along.

It was 'only' a 60 watt amp with supposedly limited current delivery, but imho you'd never tell, and throwing all the specs in the world at it would have just appeared to be rubbish.

Very lively and fun.

Their amps are great but their CD players have "allegedly" been a bit hit and miss.

If they made an AV pre amp, I'd certainly be interested.

As it stands, the Naim pre/power amps would be a direct equivalent to Densen kit.

Try their kit with faith, if youl ike it, you'll probably love it.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Really? I have seen nothing but raving about the Beat 400 and decendents (plus & XS IIRC) and how they beat more expensive Naims.

How is your system coming along btw? Got those ATC actives and the Naim front end setup?

Knightshade, how much are those Desen mono-blocks?

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    All I've had is basic quotes (won't pay anything near what they want! :) )
    but £2500 for both.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Holy crap!

I looked at the only review I could find and the price was 6800 Euros. That's some discount Knightshade! The spec is nice too, 750 VA each and power doubles into 4 Ohms a la Krell.

7. RichardG

RichardG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Don't forget the LIFETIME (as in, like, forever....!)guarantee! Have a look at their adverts in most hifi press (well, the better ones - NOT What Hifi)

And you've gotta love their slogan - "Life's too short for boring hifi..."

Wish I could afford it!

Rich

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    myself and a mate had a dem of densen beat mk5, the cd player was either rocksan/or exposure i know it cost £500 , and was used with cdm1nts

i was using older cds dire straights/eagles/simply red found this combo to be a bit bright/harsh in the treble area, but do not know if the densen would sound warmer with a differant brand of speaker.

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think you are describing the nature of 1NTs rather than the amp, a lot of people tend to find them to be in that direction.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Richard,
    Lifetime warranty has got to be a plus, tell there first language isn't English as well, had a right chuckle reading the brochure! :laugh:

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Still don't know if this is the correct price... The dealer assured me this was the price for the pair! Hmmmmm.... We'll see. I'm waiting to hear back from him to arrange to listen to the Beat 250 Reference Pre. Haven't a clue as to the price for this. What I'm hearing from everyone is good so I'll certainly be giving it a good workout.
    Thanks for all the help.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hmmmm.... Turns out the price on the 350's is £2600 EACH! :mad: And the 250 isn't in the country yet! :mad: :mad: When it gets here it will be between £2400 and £2600 making it pretty expensive and not quite the bargain musical gem I thought i'd found :thumbsdow
    Will still have a good listen to it when it arrives. It does look nice (WAF) and the power amps were very impressive.