DENON's possible chroma bug fix firmware is here! (DVD-A1, maybe 3800)

M

MRJAZZ

I got it from here.
http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm38.showMessage?topicID=48.topic

According to Van, this firmware fix chroma bug, and ebables multi-region as well as PAL progressive.

I just downloaded the file, and unzipped it. Five files're in it. :

D38hnchp.cfw
D38hnvdn.cfw
D9knwchp.cfw
Dvd9000.rom
readme.txt

I looks like this this firmware contains two versions for both A1, and 3800 ? (I'm no expert. Probably someone can tell us by examining the files.)

It's free to try, but do it at your own risk.

Any opinions ?

I wish this came with better 'provenance'..ie. we knew exactly that this firmware had been used on a 3800 and been succesful. I am so tempted to give this a try, but don't want to screw up my machine.

I'll have a look at the files:(

Regards,
Ian Guinan

I hope this firmware works for 3800 too. And chroma free firmware !!

I'm soooooo tempted to try it on my 3800.

Ian, let us know what you think once you've examined the files.

Thanks!

File unzips as you said. The .cfw files are all the same length. Looking with an ASCII editor they do appear like the existing working upgrade for the A1.

My concern there is only one file (labelled dvd9000.rom that seems to be specific for the 9000).

Just don't know ....anyone? (not sure my domestic insurers would recognise this as 'accidental damage':confused: )

Regards,
Ian Guinan

p.s. I'm prepared to believe the two files are for pre and post new-ESS series 3800s.

p.p.s. Looking amogst the ASCII you can find such delights as 'Factory Mode', 'Set Region' and 'Macrovision Off'..lets hope these are more than just ASCII labels ;)

You're thinking along the same wavelength as me.

It would be very interesting for A1 owners to have found a chroma fix MR firmware too.

Anyone know of a utility to check if two files are identical to each other. I'd like to see if the 2 38xxx files are different from each other and from the 9K one.

I'll email the guy who released these and see if he can ask his dealer if he has 'done' any 3800s. If he has and they were succesful I might even be prepared to brave it.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Ian,

Not a 3800 owner, but willing to help where possible. If you have Windows 2000 (don't know about windows 98/XP, but should be?) there is a DOS command "COMP" that will compare the contents of two files and output the differences to an ascii file.

comp /? for help

IHTH

Gavin

Thanks..thought as much (long time since I've mucked around with DOS..I'm on NT (at work) here but I'll see if there is the equivalent.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Ian, I 've just checked the files on my Windows 2000.

MrMerrick's firmware has only two files, and they are :
D9knwchp.cfw
Dvd9000.rom

And the new firmware from Australia contains :
D38hnchp.cfw
D38hnvdn.cfw
D9knwchp.cfw
Dvd9000.rom
readme.txt

Both of them have two common files which are
D9knwchp.cfw
Dvd9000.rom

These two files seem to be identical between the two different(?) firmwares. (Well.. at least my windows2000 tells me so.)

That said, I'm not still sure if they're indeed the same firmwares.
D38hnchp.cfw
D38hnvdn.cfw
these two files included in the new firmware does look strange, and interesting.

Try the FC command under Windows 2000. It can be used for text or binary files. The options are shown below:

FC [/A] [/C] [/L] [/LBn] [/N] [/T] [/U] [/W] [/nnnn] [drive1:][path1]filename1
[drive2:][path2]filename2
FC /B [drive1:][path1]filename1 [drive2:][path2]filename2

/A Displays only first and last lines for each set of differences.
/B Performs a binary comparison.
/C Disregards the case of letters.
/L Compares files as ASCII text.
/LBn Sets the maximum consecutive mismatches to the specified number of
lines.
/N Displays the line numbers on an ASCII comparison.
/T Does not expand tabs to spaces.
/U Compare files as UNICODE text files.
/W Compresses white space (tabs and spaces) for comparison.

/nnnn Specifies the number of consecutive lines that must match after a
mismatch.

The one you need would be "FC /B file1 file2" for two binary files.

I've just tried the comparisons again using the FC command.
The same result. - told me the files are identical.

Using the COMP utility in DOS (which is comparing ASCII) to compare the files I get the following results;

dvd9000.rom
File is the same as released for the existing Mr.Merrick region free firmware.

D9knwchp.cfw
File is also the same as previously released Mr.Merrick region free firmware (so counts against the possibility this is a newer chroma bug fix firmware)

D38hnchp.cfw
D38hnvdn.cfw
These files are different from each other. Would fit in with the theory that they are for different versions of the ESS chipset.

Any thoughts different just shoot me down, but I'll continue looking into this.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

By the way, I (and sure Ian, and MRJAZZ as well) appreciate Gavin, and Anthony's input on the ASCII comparison!

They're highly appreciated.

Thanks, folks !! :D

I'm downloading right now, and damn it's tempting.
I could possibly get a way with it as our buyers rights in Norway are excellent, but even better i could probably get my dealer to try it for me.
Hope it fixes the freezing i have experienced.
Thanks for the info by the way, i love this forum.

If you have the chance to return your 3800 if it goes wrong then please have a go if you dare.....it'll save us having to try my 'sacrifice' proposal (i.e. basically raising enough money amongst us to buy a new 3800 if the test goes wrong on one of our machines).

Let us know if you or your dealer give it a go....it looks as if it might work.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

I just talked to my dealer on the phone and agreed i'd drop by on monday with the software.
Guess i can talk them in to trying it with all the features being promised, PAL-P, region free and chroma fix.
I hate this waiting part, have alredy been waiting for this software to long. Guess i'll have to watch a couple of movies to get it of my mind.
By the way, i'm currently listening to The Corrs on DVD-Audio and it sounds fantastic, even it is'nt really my kind of music. To bad there is no Trance, Rave or Club on DVD-Audio.

magking,

good news! I, for one, can't wait!

btw, do you get enough bass when you listen to DVD-A ??

I think bass(LFE) is way to weak from my 3800.
Maybe you could share you tweak/setup ? :D

Ok
I have Denon AVC A11 SR amp
B&W 604s2 front, LCR 6 center, 601s3 surround back and Paradigm ADP150 surround sides speakers
REL Q400 sub.
Denon DVD3000 and 3800
Actually i didn't notice the sub was to low at first, but when i read a thread on avsforum i checked my setup.
I used the Ultimate DVD Platinum and a Radioshack SPL meter to adjust the speaker level.
All speakers was to low with my new Denon DVD3800 as they was set up with DVD3000 earlier.
I had to turn up all speakers with about 4db in digital inn and 6db inn ext 7.1 inn.
Even digital inn volume differed from DVD3000 to 3800. Enyone know why?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom