denon3802 and surround back speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Mar 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have just added a pair of surround back speakers,to denon3802these are mordaunt short cs-1 power handling 10-50w a pair of missions m70 are used as the (a)surround speakers mordaunt short ms540s as main left and right, i have not got subwoofer i am using r2of seven dvd and picked dts-es surround as mode to use, display on denon shows dts and surround back are on display shows esdscrt dvd i have set the volume levels on surround back and surroun (a) to about -14 db as i did not want to damage rear speakers as denon is 105watts when playing the dvd i do not seem to get sound from the back surrounds or rears can someone please advise wether i can safely up the rears output volume or could there be something wrong in setup test tone outputs ok to all speakers thank you

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    The channel levels on Denons are only adjustable down to -12db. So are you talking about the volume level display?

You need a sound meter to balance all the levels properly. If the surround speakers dont seem loud enough just adjust them up 1db at a time until they reach a level you like. You´re not likely to damage the speakers unless you drive them full whack.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    in the channel level settings i was watching the slider bars, have just realised the decibel settings come up in the menu have set all levels to-7db and see if i have any joy thank you

4. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    mick,

Are you sure your CS-1's are 10-50W because I have three CS-1's
    centre and rear and the leaflet that came with them said they were 100w rated (rms).

Cheers

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have lost manual for cs-1 i spoke to a company that used to deal with mordaunt short , they said power rating is as you say 10-100watts but was advised to be on the safe side to treat power handling as 10-50 i was using them as rears with yamaha a5 which was 70watt av amp with no problem thank you

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,314
    Mick,

I use a Denon 3801 which by all accounts is the same amp(minus DP2).

Like it has been said set all channels with an spl. Once that is done make sure the rear back cs-1's are as close together as possible at the rear of the room, and that your surround A are at the sides. This will give you the best use of the surround channels. To see why this is done do a search for the two long posts recently on why the back surrounds should be placed together.

As for wattage of speakers, you are always best using an amp that outputs more than the rated watt on the speakers. The only problem you should ever encounter is clipping if they are over pushed, but this is very rare and i doubt you will use such a high volume to cause damage. Using a power amp with less power actually causes more damage as there is not enough power to move the cone and tweeter causing damage.

So forget the power ratings set up the volume and delay times right, and you are laughing.

Also one last thing, check the ohm rating is right(not essential, but can stop clipping) and reading up on the CS-1 they have a rating of 87db so you will have to turn the power up to get them working at their best.

Hope that helps.

7. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,330
    Mick,

Your CS'1's are rated at 100 watts. I used to have them some years back.

Kev

8. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you set the rear speakers to 'small' in the setup menu this will protect the rears from loud bass sounds. One magazine i read uses low wattage rear speakers with a power amp and didnt do them any harm