1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon2900sdi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PAUL RODGERS, Oct 7, 2003.

1. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just seen a Denon2900 dvd for sale for £1200, mine only cost £660 but this stated it had SDI ( serial digital input) does anybody know what this is and can the old one be upgraded if worthwhile.

thanks Paul

2. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry SDI stands for Serial Digital Interface output which maybe they all have and this website was very expensive

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Paul,

SDI will carry a digital interlaced picture from the MPEG decoder before the video DAC stage. These non-copy protected signals will be 480i or 576i depending on NTSC or PAL discs - DVI isn't able to carry these signals. The interlaced signal would be passed to a deinterlacer/scaler for display to a plasma or projector. Have a word with the guys at www.jvb.nl who may be able to mod your 2900. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve,

could not get my head around what it actually means even when looking on the internet, lots of referencing but no hardcore explanations( or am i stupid).

If you have a SDI output what kind of input does your plasma need. I would be grateful if anybody has this equipment to post there views.

All i want is a better picture without buying a new plasma

thanks Paul

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Paul,

There is only one plasma manufacturer that has put SDI on them - Electrograph Delphi - but this model is a couple of years old now. As I said before, you would need a deinterlacer/scaler with an SDI input, and preferably a DVI output. This would give a pure digital signal from DVD to screen. A scaler that can do this is the Focus Enhancements CS-2 with optional SDI input board - I'm considering one myself. See here for more info:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/focus-enhancements-centerstage-cs-2.htm

Hope this helps.

Steve

6. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dutch,

I'd also like to know a little more about SDI.

Whats the advantage in sending an interlaced signal via SDI to a de-interlacer/scaler as opposed to a DVI connection where the signal has been de-interlaced/scaled at source?

Is it that the processing can be done outboard by that expensive box you included a link to ?

If you've (or anyone) have compared a SDI and DVI connected system, can you highlight the resulting picture differences between the two ?

Thanks

n.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi,

Yes, the advantage is that the deinterlacing and scaling can be done by a device of your choice, such as the CS-2. I'm afraid I've not seen the SDI output from my 757Ai, so I can't really compare it to the scaled 768p DVI from my Momitsu.

Steve