1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon1800 upgrade to3300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jimcarney, Mar 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am thinking of upgrading my 1800 to the 3300 does anybody have or know anything about
    this amp comments would be appreciated .
    Jim

2. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can afford it, I would go the next step up to the 3801 with DD EX and DTS ES on board.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You'll be hard pushed to find a new 3300 now, since it has be replaced by the 3801. So get the 3801 instead.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just seen a reveiw of the 3801 looks impressive ,hope to audition Mon at LYRIC HI FI
    Belfast . Would appreciate ReTrOs comments on the REGA VULCAN !
    Jim

5. Dolbydigital

Dolbydigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

Just as Jim Carney I'm into upgrading my AVR-1800 into 3300/3801. Altough I was very satisfied with the 1800 in DD/DTS mode, it did not have enough power/bass to drive my speakers in stereo mode.

For the moment I'm not into 6.1 and are able to buy a new AVR3300. Is there beside the extra channels more technical difference between those two? Will there be an advantage in stereo mode spending the extra money on the AVR3801??

Thanks for your appreciated opinions.

Patrick

6. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    1. the 3300 and 3801 are almost identical, the main differences being the EX/ES stuff. Therefore the sound quality in stereo of the 3801 will be at least as good, if not better than the 3300.

2. The 3801 came in at the same RRP as the 3300, but amazingly was readily available for less (about 600 pounds) at release. Therefore if the only reason for getting the 3300 is to save money forget it (unless someone out there is clearing old stock at ridiculous prices).

3. Some 3300 s had fan problems and overheating problems. I have yet to hear of someone experiencing these problems with the 3801.

4. Having said all that I am a pleased owner of a 3300.

7. Dolbydigital

Dolbydigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Dood,

Thanks for you info.

1. For this moment I have no comparable (audio) tests between AVR-3300 and AVR-3801.
    Unfortunate only the AVR-3300 was at the testbench, applying the HCC Fidelity Firewall, the measurement of usable real world power without distortion, was rated at a modest 87.98w RMS.
    Anyone for comparable results on the AVR-3801??

2. Actually there is someone in Germany cleaning out his stocks. For GBP416.52 the 3300 can be taken and for GBP540,60 the 3801. Very very good prices but there still is a big difference to pay. Without looking at the ES features I am trying to find a reason to buy the 3801.

4. Did you have any problems with overheating? Perhaps you can tell me the Resistance of your speakers. Mine are 4Ohm and from what I've heard there could be a problem there....

Patrick