1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Yamaha Denon Yamaha denon........

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brox, Apr 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's starting to get boring....

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Only when people post the same thing twice within a couple of days.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Denon & Yamaha will appear often on these forums as a large number of members own the equipment.

There are others around, Sony, Harmon Kardon, Marantz etc but not in as great a number.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree. All these people moaning about Yamaha and Denon being all that gets mentioned are beginning to get boring.

Instead of starting a pathetic thread such as this one, you could have started one on any number of different amps, supposing you have experience and interest in another make, but instead you chose to start one about Yamaha and Denon.

Obviously, you must bore yourself.

5. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, you either have a very good memory, or spend a lot of time on this bulletin board, well spotted.

Pointon, my - we did take exception didn't we. Although you are right it was a little pathetic, it is basically true which has led to a less interesting site.

We do not even get members talking about demo's they have had of any other equipment - which is sad.

I make no secret of the fact I am keen on Harman Kardon - how many people have even heard one?

On the last site I posted someone mentioned that HK were very expensive for the features thay had, maybe it was just because they are better!

I would like to get replies good and bad just to get people thinking.

6. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've got a Yamaha AX-1. It sounds awesome, when its working OK!
    Neil

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would like to get replies good and bad just to get people thinking.

Then maybe you should start a thread about this yourself; one more of this off topic subjects and it will be deleted ASAP.

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,063
    Tell you what why dont you rename this thread as H K Trouches all!

People have Yamaha and Denon not because they are sheep, but because the two are long time manufacturers of AV gear ( more than 10years) they also help develop new technology (dts-es in denons case) and bring that cutting edge technology to AV fans.

They know what they are doing, they produce the goods, and people are happy with their products.

When it comes to intergrated Amps Yamaha and Denon make the best, simple, no sheep, no bull, just the best for the money amps.

Sony,HK, etc all have a place in the market place, and produce good products.

But just because people dont post things you want to hear, dont start posting the same things over and over.

Tell you what, why dont you go and demo a Yamaha, Denon and HK amp, side by side, and then give us your indepth review, that would be interesting.:p

9. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Tell you what, why dont you go and demo a Yamaha, Denon and HK amp, side by side, and then give us your indepth review, that would be interesting.

Good idea. And while you are there you could ask the suppliers which are the top selling manufacturers.

10. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil.H

Can I assume that you own a Yamaha or a Denon? and if I am correct can you tell me which other amps you demoed before you bought? or did you ask the opinions of others on this site and be guided by that.

When I bought my HK about 18 months ago, the most popular receivers were the Yamaha 795? and the Sony 930 - both very poor in stereo especially the sony, which is why I got the HK. Denon at this time were not so popular - which is why I didn't demo one.

I'm not saying at all that Denon and Yamaha aren't the "best" but popularity is self fullfilling since people buy them because they are popular and no-one likes to admit they didn't buy the best.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Brox,

Your header says it all, There are items that are less fashionable than others that may be just as good or even better but for some reason they don't catch the public eye.

You are actually wrong to have headed your initial post Yamaha, Denon because the new kid on the block seems to be Marantz and that is the make that is garnering all of the kudos at the moment.

I am in a similiar position to you with my speakers because I have Def Tech Pro Cinema and whilst in my opinion they are better than KEF eggs they have not caught the public's imagination in quite the same way.

In your last post you stated "no-one likes to admit they didn't buy the best."

The same could be said of yourself.

12. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,063

Actually my first AV amp was a Kenwood prologic jobbie back in 1990. I then auditioned many before buying a Yamaha 2070 Prologic amp. I then in 1996 bought a Yamaha 3090 the first amp in the uk to have Dolby Digital, and it still beats many new amps today if you can find one.

I then auditioned a Sony, Yamaha and denon for my next amp before deciding that the Yamaha A2 at £500 was an absolute steal.

I recently swapped this for a Denon 3801 which is a very nice amp with open sound and only misses out on PL2.

I like to think that I can make up my own mind at which was a good buy, and as you can see I have been an AV freak for 12 years. I am also lucky enough to have a few friends in the business and i can demo any product i like, even at home if I want.

To be honest HK are a good machine, but are far to expensive in this country for what you actually get. But then that is my opinion.

13. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian J

Good Point well made - and the first serious one.

I Like to think I bought well, but am willing to admit I didn't buy the best since my 2 criteria were both good AV capability and strereo sound so I probably got a good compromise.

When I bought my HK no one even mentioned it, there was scarcely any info on sites such as this so I demoed for quite a while and read all I could.

One thing that puts me off Yamahas having owned one (592)is The large number of DSP modes that I never listened to. Just seemed gimicky to me and I presume they are not free, that plus the impedance switch (which I read in this magazine quality amps should need)

and before you mention it I never thought the sound quality was
    great either.

But what has happened to makes such as Nakamichee/ Onkyo
    and even Sony is not what it was a year ago.

Before anyone mentions how good Denon is (i'm sure they are) I don't think people are demoing much, at least very few people mention they have despite lots of people saying they should!

I wonder what will be next in fashion!

14. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil H

Cheers for your considered reply!

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Brox,

Onkyo is another good make that has never caught on in this country for no real reason as it is a huge seller in USA.

I thought that Nakamishi went bust but I may be wrong.

In the speaker line there are many many more good speakers that never make it into the AV big time. If you read Hifi World or Hifi News they talk about speakers that are never mentioned on this forum or tested by the AV mags yet they are as good or better than the usual suspects.

At the Bristol Show Leema Acoustics were demonstrating a pair of small monitors which at £950 per pair are admittedly expensive but they were brilliant and for anyone looking for speakers in that price range (say M & K) these should definately be on the audition short list.

What's the betting they are never mentioned again.

16. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im sure most people choose an amp based on, time spent considering everything from a variety of manufacturers within there spending. Reading reviews on different pieces of equipment, then listening to the shortlisted products. I have owned far to many amps/recievers over the years and certainly do not buy based on a fashionable whim, well maybe I did once. I have just bough a Denon 3802 after using an Yamaha A2 for several years. I also use different amps in the studios from a variety of manufacturers, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sherwood, Sony,JVC and H&K. My decision for my own home cinema was based on a number of criteria that the Denon 3802 best fit. A decision to by an amp is a difficult one but price must come near the top of main considerations with most people. Yamaha, Denon and Sony being maufacturers that have a vast range of products, that are staurated on the european market are much easier to discount, hence very competative prices. Many people will be attratced by these discounts. The Denon in question 3802. Listed at about £850 can easily be found for £650.00 new. I find unless I am given permission by my boss to spend thousands of pounds on hi end amps then the differences between more mid priced equipment is very slim. Spec is very close. Sound/aesthietics/badge, all very subjective.
    I wonder what the results would be if a group of five equally specified amps,same colour,identical facia with no badges, but produced by five top manufacturers were played off against each other. Could we really tell them apart.
    Mark