Denon/Yamaha AV receiver particular requirement

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by karimleo, Jan 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. karimleo

karimleo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

I currently own a Denon AVR 1908 AV receiver and use it to run all my Video and Audio devices. (Sonos, SKY HD, Media Streamer, Blu Ray etc). I am selling it and looking to upgrade to a newer, better AV receiver. I am looking to buy either a Denon or Yamaha receiver and need the following:

5x HDMI inputs
    1080 upscaling

Now of course I know that limits my options but one thing I really need that is not in the spec sheet on any website and no seller can seem to answer is the following.

On my existing Denon AV receiver, I can see the onscreen volume display only on analogue inputs and not on HDMI inputs. Does anybody out there have an AV receiver that has the 3 requirements above? That is:

5x HDMI inputs
    1080 upscaling
    Volume onscreen display on HDMI inputs

The reason I need this is that all my AV equipment is behind black out glass and I cannot see the display so I would like to see it on screen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I wish to order my new AV receiver next week.

Kind regards

Karim

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    I think you'll struggle to get this...Why not just use your ears like everyone else? :D

3. karimleo

karimleo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of like things to be the way I want them. :) I doubt this is an impossible feature to ask for. It is such a small detail but would be very useful for me. If anybody out there has an AV receiver with this feature I would appreciate any advice.

4. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    it might not seem so but the OSD volume display can be important.

I have the same issue with my Yamaha RX-V2600 - using video and component connections I can see the volume on screen, but via HDMI lose this because the unit cannot display low resolution over hi resolution (that's what Yamaha told me) - the newer models have no problem with this.

Why is it important? A few times now we thought we may have blown our speakers when switching between different sources - mainly when significantly different volume levels are used.

Until I upgrade I just have to make sure I turn down the volume further than probably necessary when I switch between sources - just to be on the safe side. Especially if the unit is out of your direct line of sight the on screen volume display can be very useful.

karimLeo - being more than satisfied with Yamaha (on my 3rd upgrade :eek:) I'll probably go for something like the RX-V3900 when I do upgrade again - it upscales to 1080p, has the volume OSD on HDMI as well (was already available from the RX-V2700 onwards)- but only has 4 HDMI inputs - no biggie for me, but I guess not sufficient for you.

Simon

5. karimleo

karimleo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for such a prompt reply madhouse. It's nice to know there is somebody out there who has the same problems as I. However whilst the Yamaha RX-V2600 looks like a great AV receiver, it's a little much for me in terms of price and features.

It doesn't really matter how good the receiver looks because it is behind black glass and I never look at it. I also have a Sonos system so features like streaming music from a PC are useless to me.

Does anybody know if one of the slightly lower models have the same features? For example, the Yamaha RX-V1900?

Kind regards

6. lotsatoys

lotsatoys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Don't know how much the Yamaha above costs,but the Denon 3808A,does all your requirements,but with 4 hdmi inputs.:)

7. karimleo

karimleo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I now know that the Denons are capable of this, does anybody know if the 2809A has my requirements? This is more in my price range.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It has been a great help.