Denon X6700H Owners Thread

Well as kind of a work around, I did wire 2 speakers in parallel, then wired that to one output for Zone 2. Then I did that again with another pair, and wired that to Zone 2 as well. It's pretty darn loud, but this is a large rectangular porch area, and I wanted a few speakers on the right side too to simply balance the sound. I guess that's not possible, if I understand what you are saying. Thanks for the info.

I guess the only way would be to wire more speakers to zone 3, but then I would need the same thing playing at the same time on zones 2 and 3.

Careful what you are doing with the speakers if wiring them in series or parallel. You'd be effecting the impedance imposed upon the AV receiver if doing so. The receiver's protection circuitry should prevent any potential damage from occuring, but you may be better off using speaker switches with builyt in impedance matching?

If insistent upon providing discrete power for each speaker then also consider using the AV receiver's zone 2 pre outs to send the audio to an external multichannel power amp rather than using the AV receiver's own integral amplification.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting this AVR, but I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate some help with.

1) I have quite a lot of content in 5.1 aac. I'm planning on playing this through an Nvidia Shield via Plex. Would the AVR be able to play this back as 5.1, if the Shield decodes the aac to 5.1 PCM?

2) If the AVR can play back 5.1 PCM, is it also able to upmix it via DTS:Neural-X, or Dolby Surround?

3) If I wanted upmixing automatically, should I leave the audio setting on "pure-auto"? And if so, will this upmix 2.0 and 1.0 audio or will those stay as mono and stereo audio? I basically want 5.1 and upwards to be upmixed, but stereo to stay as 2.0.

Thank you very much,
Reuben.

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting this AVR, but I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate some help with.

1) I have quite a lot of content in 5.1 aac. I'm planning on playing this through an Nvidia Shield via Plex. Would the AVR be able to play this back as 5.1, if the Shield decodes the aac to 5.1 PCM?

2) If the AVR can play back 5.1 PCM, is it also able to upmix it via DTS:Neural-X, or Dolby Surround?

3) If I wanted upmixing automatically, should I leave the audio setting on "pure-auto"? And if so, will this upmix 2.0 and 1.0 audio or will those stay as mono and stereo audio? I basically want 5.1 and upwards to be upmixed, but stereo to stay as 2.0.

Thank you very much,
Reuben.
It will play MPEG-4 AAC. If the shield converts to PCM via HDMI then that will play as multi channel 5.1.

If you want upmixing then you select the mode by using the movie button on the remote and selecting the soundfield. Pure will just play the audio unaltered so mono will remain as such as will stereo. So if upmixing is required then select the Auto function.

Hello people,
I'll be getting my 6700 next week for anew home cinema set up (7.1.4) I'm working on.
I saw online that there was some issue with faulty Condenser(?) on early models - is this still an issue currently? My serial number has 21 in it so I'm guessing 2021 production date? Tried to call Denon in the UK but there's an automated message about Xmas opening hours... :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello people,
I'll be getting my 6700 next week for anew home cinema set up (7.1.4) I'm working on.
I saw online that there was some issue with faulty Condenser(?) on early models - is this still an issue currently? My serial number has 21 in it so I'm guessing 2021 production date? Tried to call Denon in the UK but there's an automated message about Xmas opening hours... :)

Thanks!
That issue only affected the units built within the first few months after release. It's now about a year after release so the current stock should hopefully no-longer be affected.

The dealer might be able to check with Denon for you though?

Thanks,
Checked with Denon, the answer was that the unit 'is not using a substitute capacitor' - ? is this that Condenser issue?

Did discover I'm eligable for an HDMI plug(?) To solve some 8K issues

Thanks,
Checked with Denon, the answer was that the unit 'is not using a substitute capacitor' - ? is this that Condenser issue?

Did discover I'm eligable for an HDMI plug(?) To solve some 8K issues
Yes that's the same issue, capacitors/condensers are interchangeable terms for the same part.

There is an issue with the current Denon AVR's when handling 4K120Hz from some devices, mainly Xbox Series S/X consoles but also some PC GPU's. The adapter box is Denon's solution to this for affected units (all of them until they release the MK2 models later this year).

If you don't plan to use the AVR for gaming then it's unlikely to be an issue for you. It's worth mentioning that I had other issues with the HDMI on my X6700, as have lots of other users. Mainly handshake and black screen issues when switching resolutions/frame rates.

I contacted my dealer about the issues and said that I was unhappy with the adapter box workaround and they were kind enough to let me return my unit for a full refund. They also gave me the option to swap it for a MK2 model when they are available around September.

If gaming is important to you, it might be worth waiting for the MK2 unit to avoid having to use the additional box.

Yes that's the same issue, capacitors/condensers are interchangeable terms for the same part.

There is an issue with the current Denon AVR's when handling 4K120Hz from some devices, mainly Xbox Series S/X consoles but also some PC GPU's. The adapter box is Denon's solution to this for affected units (all of them until they release the MK2 models later this year).

If you don't plan to use the AVR for gaming then it's unlikely to be an issue for you. It's worth mentioning that I had other issues with the HDMI on my X6700, as have lots of other users. Mainly handshake and black screen issues when switching resolutions/frame rates.

I contacted my dealer about the issues and said that I was unhappy with the adapter box workaround and they were kind enough to let me return my unit for a full refund. They also gave me the option to swap it for a MK2 model when they are available around September.

If gaming is important to you, it might be worth waiting for the MK2 unit to avoid having to use the additional box.
Thanks for the claryfication, gaming is important to me but I can't wait till September, need an AVR... If the HDMI adapter fix works than I don't mind it.

Hi,
I have recently bought the x6700 amp and I am experiencing a odd issue with my Sony Blu Ray X800M2

The problem
The menus on the DVD disc are not highlighted and cannot be clicked - If I press play I get a message saying this action is prohibited on this disc.

It is not the Blu Ray Player
If I connect the Blu Ray directly to the Samsung TV they are fine so it is not the Blu Ray Player.

The Denon is connected to the TV via the HDMI arc / ears output into the arc input on the TV.

I have noticed if I do not use the arc input on the TV the menus appear?

Has anyone else ever had this ?
Should I use a different HDMI output from the amp?

Thank you for you help

Phil

Hi,
I have recently bought the x6700 amp and I am experiencing a odd issue with my Sony Blu Ray X800M2

The problem
The menus on the DVD disc are not highlighted and cannot be clicked - If I press play I get a message saying this action is prohibited on this disc.

It is not the Blu Ray Player
If I connect the Blu Ray directly to the Samsung TV they are fine so it is not the Blu Ray Player.

The Denon is connected to the TV via the HDMI arc / ears output into the arc input on the TV.

I have noticed if I do not use the arc input on the TV the menus appear?

Has anyone else ever had this ?
Should I use a different HDMI output from the amp?

Thank you for you help

Phil
You should have Monitor 1 connected to your TV's ARC/eARC HDMI. Your blu ray player should be HDMI into the 6700. With this connection then the player's menu should appear onscreen and should be functional. Remember to assign that input as being used.

Under the HDMI settings I would turn HDMI control to off and do the same on the TV. Even with eARC it can be a little iffy and cause problems. So initially turn off all CEC capabilities on all connected equipment.

If you have your blu ray player connected directly to the TV then you use the second HDMI output to the Denon for audio. This will not show up onscreen as the menu will be from the video HDMI to the TV. The Sony will also have to be configured to use both HDMI outputs.

If you are using just the one HDMI connection from the player then again make sure that it is configured to output from just the one HDMI port.

I am using the the Blu Ray into the Blu Ray input on the Denon amp
All HDMI Controls are off
HDMI Monitor 1 (arc) from the amp into the arc input on the TV

Unfortunately the menus on the DVD are not highlighted and cannot be accessed. I have tried a couple of other discs and it is the same. If I cannot get it to work I will have to put the video from the blue ray into the TV and the audio into the amp separately. After spending £2.3K on the amp this is very disappointing.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Phil

I am using the the Blu Ray into the Blu Ray input on the Denon amp
All HDMI Controls are off
HDMI Monitor 1 (arc) from the amp into the arc input on the TV

Unfortunately the menus on the DVD are not highlighted and cannot be accessed. I have tried a couple of other discs and it is the same. If I cannot get it to work I will have to put the video from the blue ray into the TV and the audio into the amp separately. After spending £2.3K on the amp this is very disappointing.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Phil
You could try a different input on the Denon, it's marked as blu ray to give users some idea but all HDMI are the same. It could also be the HDMI cable, stranger things have happened with cables. I have my X6500 set up with a direct connection from my 4K player direct to the TV because the X6500 doesn't have HDR10+ abilities in the forlorn hope that Pioneer will release the Spring 2019 firmware update for HDR10+ (it's a little late now and I'm having a mini rant).

There must be something in the set up of the HDMI input that is causing the problem if it is not cable related. If your TV is 4K then double check that 4K/8K signal is set to enhanced, should be by default. You do not want 8K enhanced as this too could cause a problem.

You could try a different input on the Denon, it's marked as blu ray to give users some idea but all HDMI are the same. It could also be the HDMI cable, stranger things have happened with cables. I have my X6500 set up with a direct connection from my 4K player direct to the TV because the X6500 doesn't have HDR10+ abilities in the forlorn hope that Pioneer will release the Spring 2019 firmware update for HDR10+ (it's a little late now and I'm having a mini rant).

There must be something in the set up of the HDMI input that is causing the problem if it is not cable related. If your TV is 4K then double check that 4K/8K signal is set to enhanced, should be by default. You do not want 8K enhanced as this too could cause a problem.
The other oddity with this is that actual Blu Ray discs are fine it is on non blu DVDs where I cannot access some of the menus?

Thanks
Phil

The other oddity with this is that actual Blu Ray discs are fine it is on non blu DVDs where I cannot access some of the menus?

Thanks
Phil
If you have a source direct option on your player then set that as your default setting. I had the same problem with my Pioneer LX500 when trying to play DVDs, but that included direct to my Panasonic TV. Using source direct sorted it. Worth a try if the Sony has that facility.

Hi Gibbsy,
I have found the problem.
The issue was with the screen settings on the Sony X800M2 Blu Ray Player
I had the 4K Upscale Setting on Auto 2.
If I switch this off all the menus return on normal none Blue Ray DVDs. The Auto 1 setting also disables the some of the menus on normal DVD.

Blu Rays are fine using the 4K upscale settings.

Thank you for all your help, I hope I have not wasted your time here, it looks like I altered this when I got the new Denon last week and I was trying to put everything on the best setting (or I thought I was!)

Thank you again

Phil

Hi Gibbsy,
I have found the problem.
The issue was with the screen settings on the Sony X800M2 Blu Ray Player
I had the 4K Upscale Setting on Auto 2.
If I switch this off all the menus return on normal none Blue Ray DVDs. The Auto 1 setting also disables the some of the menus on normal DVD.

Blu Rays are fine using the 4K upscale settings.

Thank you for all your help, I hope I have not wasted your time here, it looks like I altered this when I got the new Denon last week and I was trying to put everything on the best setting (or I thought I was!)

Thank you again

Phil
That, if I remember correctly, was the issue I had on my Pioneer. Glad it's sorted. I leave any upscaling of 1080 to my Panasonic OLED. All video scaling on the Denon is left off.

So I just purchased a denon x6700 11.2 upgrading from a 7.2 pioneer elite. The sound was amazing but I have a slight problem..the problem is the heat…I need some advice. I was thinking of cutting the back wood panel so cool air can flow from the rear and also install some fans on top. And my top is only 2.5inches. My right is of the amp is open slightly. I don’t want to fry the hdmi. When I do put fans on top do I want the air to suck out or blow in? And also I was thinking about these fans that plugs into thermostat. Thanks Any dyi would be appreciated.

Attachments

• B997656B-829A-47AB-A537-507E233883C3.png
    B997656B-829A-47AB-A537-507E233883C3.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 6F26BFBE-3799-4066-978C-AFB43C5BA337.png
    6F26BFBE-3799-4066-978C-AFB43C5BA337.png
    305.5 KB · Views: 63
  • BF76ACA0-27BB-4616-A0CB-FF669E7DD9EB.jpeg
    BF76ACA0-27BB-4616-A0CB-FF669E7DD9EB.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 64
  • E1C54C75-A3E7-4ABA-9C11-266BCC8D3FBF.jpeg
    E1C54C75-A3E7-4ABA-9C11-266BCC8D3FBF.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 63
So I just purchased a denon x6700 11.2 upgrading from a 7.2 pioneer elite. The sound was amazing but I have a slight problem..the problem is the heat…I need some advice. I was thinking of cutting the back wood panel so cool air can flow from the rear and also install some fans on top. And my top is only 2.5inches. My right is of the amp is open slightly. I don’t want to fry the hdmi. When I do put fans on top do I want the air to suck out or blow in? And also I was thinking about these fans that plugs into thermostat. Thanks Any dyi would be appreciated.

You want them to suck the warm air out. You can buy a specific thermostat/sensor kit for those fans (see pic below) as I had those in my system. I'd also get the mains powered versions rather than the USB version. Even on the minimum setting my Marantz barely got warm with them running.
IMG_20201231_134355.jpg

As mentioned below, yours is in a bit of a tight spot so you could try having one fan blowing air and the other sucking it out from another side. I did that with mine so one was also blowing air across my poweramp. Failing that, I'd look at putting the Denon somewhere else if possible.

Last edited:
The location of the AVR is problematic. A mate of mine has a Denon, it runs chuffing hot! Fortunately he's got about 6 inches of clearance above it so it gets plenty of air, but I wouldn't put one into a space like yours.

@Number One Arfan I only have about 4 inches which I don't think is enough either. Don't you have an issue with your LX89, driving those big boys with it must take some power? But I suppose it is class D so should run cooler.

@Jase do you have a link to, e.g. Jeff Bezos market stall, where you can get them with mains supply too? And do you have an picture of them installed? Thanks.

This is really useful stuff, I'm sure plenty of us have issues with that Denon heat.

You can buy a specific thermostat/sensor kit for those fans (see pic below) as I had those in my system. I'd also get the mains powered versions rather than the USB version.
Have you got a link to the sensor kit and mains powered fans?

A cheaper, and possibly suitable alternative, would be to have mains powered fans simply running on a low speed whenever the Amp is on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom