Question Denon x6400 V's x4400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wswan85, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wswan85

Wswan85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Morning all,

I currently have a Denon AVR X2300 powering Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 - bookshelf fronts and my sub is a BK Monolith, used for a variety of things; TV, movies, music etc. My lounge is rectangular , circa 3.5m x 6m.

Like the set up but am looking for a bit more punch and want to incorporate a 5.1.4 atmos set up when I redecorate the lounge soon, maybe 5.2.4.

My question is the actual performance difference between the Denon X6400 and X4400 - has anyone heard both or had both? For what I want - a 5.1.4 set up, in my lounge size - I assume the X4400 would be more than adequate, and the X6400 overkill? Given the price difference I'd rather go for the X4400!

Brings me into my next question, I assume there will be a noticeable difference between the X2300 I currently have and the X4400? It looks a decent step up. Again anyone had experience of this upgrade?

Thanks for any help.

Will

2. BlairH

BlairH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The X6400 is made in Japan, so "probably" is a bit better in terms of build-quality and reliability (although how much better is up for debate. I have a 6200W and a 7200WA and they're pretty similar to other receivers from the D&M group).

The amp section on the X6400 is slightly better; although this will likely not result in a real-world difference. If you really need the extra headroom in terms of amplification, you're better-off adding external amplification than going for a step-up receiver; but again, most people don't need the headroom.

If you ever wanted to do 7.1.4; the X6400 does it out of the box whereas the X4400 would need at least an additional 2 channel power amp.

I use Denon & Marantz receivers exclusively. They really are hard to beat. The X4400 is a fine receiver. I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed. Do note that they tend to run a little on the hot side, so ensure adequate room for cooling.

3. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Personally I'd go for the x4400 over the 6400. I had the the same dilemma last year between x4300h and the x6300h and don't regret it

6400 has a higher build quality as it's built in Japan but I'd take that with a pinch of salt when quality is concerned. Remember the 6300 having problems with overheating and speakers buzzing

My x4300 runs hot enough to boil an egg so make sure you have good ventilation

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,318
    I went from a Denon AVR 2310, probably the equivalent of the current X3400, to the X6200 and there was a different in audio quality. I would also think that you will almost certainly hear a different going from the 2200 to a 4400. How much of a difference there would be between the 4400 and 6400 would be harder to say. As far as your current speakers are concerned then the 4400 would be more than adequate.

The 6400 would give you a one box solution for 7.2.4 and as been pointed out an external amp would be required for that arrangement with the 4400. As you have mentioned music then the 4400 with an integrated stereo amp with HT bypass would give a far better stereo music performance than that afforded by either a 4400 or 6400. However taking the cost of one of these amps with a 4400 would push the total outlay pretty well over the cost of a 6400.

To add a stereo amp will depend on how good the source for music is. I would certainly entertain getting one if using a turntable or a quality CD player as these would be feed directly into the stereo amp.

5. series1boy

series1boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Just gone from a 6200 to a 4400 and the the latter seems just as good as the former. Reason for me changing is due to the 6200 failing and the courier lost it when I sent back for repair, and compensation / insurance covererd me just enough to replace it with th 4400 and I have 5.1.4 setup, and not dissapointed in quality at all!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  6. Wswan85

Wswan85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you all very much for the responses, much appreciated and really helped. Made my mind up that the 4400 makes more sense - it will be plenty powerful enough, build quality I'm fine with as always had Denons, due to the layout of my lounge I'll never want 7.1.4 so the 4400 capable of 5.1.4 will be just right, and it's half the price so always a good thing!

Can put that money towards saving up for a 4k projector..... The Benq W1700 price is dropping nicely....

Cheers all.