Denon X4700 set up help

scoobyp1

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I decided to set up my 4700 today in the man cave but I’m having a small issue with the speaker selections - when selecting overheads it only shows 1 pair - is there a way of changing this to show 4 speakers (2 pairs) ??

Also, when running Audyssey set up it seems to pause at subwoofer position 1, waited nearly 10mins after first tone and it just seems to stay there - what am I doing wrong ??

I’m running Kef Q750 fronts, Q250 centre, Kef sub and 4 monitor audio 265IDC ceiling speakers

Any help would be much appreciated

You cannot have a setup inclusive of ceiling or height speakers in your setup is devoid of surround speakers. You'd need at least a 5.1 ear level layout if wanting to add 2 or 4 ceiling speakers.

Note that if intending 2 of the ceiling speakers to be surrounds as opposed to Atmos effects speakers then those 2 speakers shouldn't be classed as height or ceiling speakers. They'd be surround speakers in the configurations.

Last edited:
I take it you are trying to set up a 5.1.2 speaker connection. The two speakers for Atmos should be set as top middle, the rearmost speakers should be connected to and configured as surrounds. It's also worth noting that this is a poor speaker positioning for the surrounds especially in a 5.1.2 as there is no separation between the surrounds and the Atmos layer. They should, as all the base speakers should be, placed at or just above a seated head height.

Running Audyssey you have to manually moved to the next position. It will not automatically move to the next position as you have to reposition the mic to position 2.

I take it you are trying to set up a 5.1.2 speaker connection. The two speakers for Atmos should be set as top middle, the rearmost speakers should be connected to and configured as surrounds. It's also worth noting that this is a poor speaker positioning for the surrounds especially in a 5.1.2 as there is no separation between the surrounds and the Atmos layer. They should, as all the base speakers should be, placed at or just above a seated head height.

Running Audyssey you have to manually moved to the next position. It will not automatically move to the next position as you have to reposition the mic to position 2.
Should it prompt me to move the mic ?

For now I was trying for a 3.1.4 set up, this isn’t a dedicated cinema room so I’m struggling to put rears at ear height hence why I put 4 ceiling speakers in..

Should it prompt me to move the mic ?
Yes you will get an onscreen prompt. Move the mic around 60cm from position one and press calculate. The procedure goes through all the speakers and sub again. Then move to position three and so on until you have covered all eight positions. Then you will be prompted to remove the mic and press calculate. When prompted to press save then do so. Stand well back behind the mic when the speakers are outputting the pink noise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom