Denon x4500h avr running a 2nd external 8 channel amp via pre outs

crosshatch

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I hope I've posted in the right forum 🤞
Anyways, Long time no post 🙂
Looking for advice adding a secondary amplifier to my denon x4500 avr.
Got a 3 channel amp for the lcr rigged up already through the pre outs. With no problem.
Now, fiddling and scratching my head with an 8 channel to run the rest of my speakers - surrounds, back surrounds, front heights and back heights.
Connected all the speakers up physically to the rca pre outs via rca/xlr cables to the nord amplifier and all I have is just have a little ground loop buzz from them.
I have tried a few things to get it set up, as well as trawling through forums - but to no avail.
I am not sure if it's just a physically connection/switch needs pressing or I have to change a setting on the denon avr?
Any help would be much appreciated?
Tia

The Amp Assign Mode should be set to 11.1 which I'm assuming it is already. Then it's just a case of plugging the Nord into the relevant Pre-Outs and away you go. Perhaps there's an issue with the RCA to XLR cables?

As a test. Unplug your 3CH Amp and plug the Nord into the LCR Pre-Outs and see if it works or not.

Also, on the back of the Nord there are usually switches to select between XLR and RCA. Make sure they're set correctly (whilst it's powered down!).

Last edited:
Thanks for your speedy reply, Jase.
It is set to 11.1 and have swapped connections. The new speaker/connection works with the lcr amp. The lcr amp is using the same rca/cables as the 8 channel.

Thanks for your speedy reply, Jase.
It is set to 11.1 and have swapped connections. The new speaker/connection works with the lcr amp. The lcr amp is using the same rca/cables as the 8 channel.

Hang on, lost me a bit there. Have you tried the Nord connected to the LCR Pre-Outs or just swapped the cables to make sure they work?

Better start again from scratch. First thing to check on the rear panel of the Nord is if the switches for XLR/RCA are set to XLR?

But not sure if I've turned the 8 channel on correctly. Back panel switch on l and blue light on front in the pressed position

Ok. Switches on the Nord are correct. What you need to ascertain is if it's working properly. Best way to do that is with something you know that works correctly already. That's the LCR Pre-Outs on the 4500 as your 3CH Amp works.

Power it all down.

For the sake of simplicity and quickness just unplug the 3CH Amp Centre Pre-Out from the Denon.

Disconnect the Centre speaker from the 3CH Amp and connect it to one of the Channels on the Nord.

Connect that Nord Channel XLR to the Centre Pre-Out on the Denon.

Power it all up and see if the Centre works. You can use the speaker channel level test tones for this but make sure to turn the volume up a bit as they start at -40db.

Last edited:
Ok. Switches on the Nord are correct. What you need to ascertain is if it's working properly. Best way to do that is with something you know that works correctly already. That's the LCR Pre-Outs on the 4500 as your 3CH Amp works.

Power it all down.

For the sake of simplicity and quickness just unplug the 3CH Amp Centre Pre-Out from the Denon.

Disconnect the Centre speaker from the 3CH Amp and connect it to one of the Channels on the Nord.

Connect that Nord Channel XLR to the Centre Pre-Out on the Denon.

Power it all up and see if the Centre works. You can use the speaker channel level test tones for this but make sure to turn the volume up a bit as they start at -40db.
I think I've sorted it. But still buzz from speakers. I think this happened when I first set up the 3 channel and then it calmed down. So I will least atm.
Thank you so much for your help, Jase 👍

I think I've sorted it. But still buzz from speakers. I think this happened when I first set up the 3 channel and then it calmed down. So I will least atm.
Thank you so much for your help, Jase 👍

No worries. Buzz could be caused by another source but that's fun and games for another day.... :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom