Bargain Expired Denon X4500H - 799£ this weekend

Would anybody know if current PT prices for 4500 are bank holiday deals it are they here to stay Monday and coming days?
I would say it will be on and off, but def you will buy the x4500 for £799 sometime after bank holiday. It was exactly the same with x4400 last year, and x4300 a year before.

Would it sound better at lower volumes so you don’t have to crank it as much to get the surround effects hear subtleties also the bass possible being more crisp and balanced throughout the volume range? thanks
That is a more to do with your speakers and quality of subwoofer and the room that they are in. Certainly more power is important providing the speakers can handle that power. Perhaps you would be better off opening a thread on your own and giving a lot more information such as room size, speaker positions etc.

I already have 3600h but I need 2nd AVR for downstairs where gear is dying slow death for past couple of months (some channels would not engage at all times).

Would 4500h be of discernable, SQ wise, upgrade to 3600h to justify swapping upstairs and bringing 3600 downstairs or should I save some money and just go 2600h or Sony 1080 for downstairs?

Upstairs is 5x5m, 5.1.4 system, 8x definitive technology Pro monitors 1000 and 2000 for centre plus 1x Arendal sub 1. All semi optimised with REW and Umik. Mostly sub.

Downstairs is generic 5.1 ATM.

TVs are c6 65 and c9 65. About to pull the trigger but not sure which to choose.

It is 100% HT use in both cases. I have dedicated 2 channel system for music.

The DT speakers have aluminium tweeters and are on lean side. Especially noticeable with centre channel and human speach. Surprisingly they are not bright but just lean but they cause me listening fatigue in longer sessions. Would 4500 by better controlled in HF range and smoother then 3600 to try to combat it a bit or am I hoping for too much?

I am not panicking yet as all gear is brand new and not run in yet but I might be looking at adding different centre if it not improves.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've finally pulled the trigger on on 4500 - Peter Tyson has them on their Ebay store, and there's currently a promo that knocks another £50 off, and so with it went the last of my resolve. Haven't bought a receiver in 10 years, so pretty exciting :)

I've finally pulled the trigger on on 4500 - Peter Tyson has them on their Ebay store, and there's currently a promo that knocks another £50 off, and so with it went the last of my resolve. Haven't bought a receiver in 10 years, so pretty exciting :)
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :smashin:

what is the code if you don’t mind please ?

Me too - got mine at the end of last week to replace my 12yr old AVR. Very pleased so far (although as has been said many times, not for music!)

I already have 3600h but I need 2nd AVR for downstairs where gear is dying slow death for past couple of months (some channels would not engage at all times).

Would 4500h be of discernable, SQ wise, upgrade to 3600h to justify swapping upstairs and bringing 3600 downstairs or should I save some money and just go 2600h or Sony 1080 for downstairs?

Upstairs is 5x5m, 5.1.4 system, 8x definitive technology Pro monitors 1000 and 2000 for centre plus 1x Arendal sub 1. All semi optimised with REW and Umik. Mostly sub.

Downstairs is generic 5.1 ATM.

TVs are c6 65 and c9 65. About to pull the trigger but not sure which to choose.

It is 100% HT use in both cases. I have dedicated 2 channel system for music.

The DT speakers have aluminium tweeters and are on lean side. Especially noticeable with centre channel and human speach. Surprisingly they are not bright but just lean but they cause me listening fatigue in longer sessions. Would 4500 by better controlled in HF range and smoother then 3600 to try to combat it a bit or am I hoping for too much?

I am not panicking yet as all gear is brand new and not run in yet but I might be looking at adding different centre if it not improves.

Cheers

Maybe look at another brand? My Yamaha avr sorted the sibilant ruark and b&w peakers that I had with audiolabs.

Denon have good power, Yamaha don't so have to decide about that. Plus different eq

Shouldn't a bright amp and speakers, be sorted with room eq as that will trail off high end

Many thanks for the info about the code. Ordered one as well :). That is a v. nice deal :)

Maybe look at another brand? My Yamaha avr sorted the sibilant ruark and b&w peakers that I had with audiolabs.

Denon have good power, Yamaha don't so have to decide about that. Plus different eq

Shouldn't a bright amp and speakers, be sorted with room eq as that will trail off high end

Ahh, I have not spotted your message only until now. I have ordered 4500 few hours ago, bah

I was not keen on Yamaha anyway so probably would not decided in its favour. If I will not find my way with the speakers I will just swap them form something else. Both speakers and AMP still need to settle and I need to play with EQ and also with adjusting room acoustics as I have one wall almost completely covered in glass so probable covering it with some retractable thick curtains will make a massive difference :)

I will be able to compare back to back 3600 vs 4500. If there is any meaningful difference SQ wise I will post on the forum to describe.

Last edited:
Me too - got mine at the end of last week to replace my 12yr old AVR. Very pleased so far (although as has been said many times, not for music!)
I’ve had my X4500H for over a year now, and it’s absolutely brilliant at playing 2 channel stereo music, there are many hidden settings within the Denon amp, that only become visible when certain things are on. Get to know your amps functions and you won’t be disappointed. If I recall correctly you will get 145wpc when playing stereo music, plus separate functions that can be saved a side from the Dolby atmos settings. So IMO this amp is Great for music.

If I recall correctly you will get 145wpc when playing stereo music
I'm afraid you recall wrongly, it get's nowhere near that, 125 watts into 8 ohms 2 channels driven, not even my X6500 gets that much poke at 8 ohms (140 watts into 8 ohms). Denon only publish 6 ohm figures at 1kHz 2 channels driven, which is a con. I've yet to listen to a Denon amp, again including my 6500, that is any good at stereo music.

They are brilliant amps for film and TV, even some music from HD audio sources. Stereo music, buy a stereo amp with HT by-pass if you're serious about music.

They are brilliant amps for film and TV, even some music from HD audio sources. Stereo music, buy a stereo amp with HT by-pass if you're serious about music.
I completely agree with gibbsy, I have found the recent mid range Denons to be excellent with TV/Movie/Multichannel sound & when combined with my Lyngdorf 2 channel amp, for me, it is ideal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom