Denon X4400H owners thread

Thanks for that, I've had a look and my TV is on the list I have an LG 55C7 2017 model
maybe I have to change some thing in the tv settings there is an option in the tv for dolby digital plus, I had a play last night and I still have an optical cable running from the tv to the receiver which I did disconnect but in the receiver setup settings for the inputs I have assigned
cab/sat as hdmi 1
bluray as hdmi 2
dvd player as hdmi 3
and tv has a cross x on the hdmi side and and opt(optical) in the next column

as tips or advice please?
Richard

Just
Thanks for that, I've had a look and my TV is on the list I have an LG 55C7 2017 model
maybe I have to change some thing in the tv settings there is an option in the tv for dolby digital plus, I had a play last night and I still have an optical cable running from the tv to the receiver which I did disconnect but in the receiver setup settings for the inputs I have assigned
cab/sat as hdmi 1
bluray as hdmi 2
dvd player as hdmi 3

Richard
Just run everything from hdmi 2 on tv and then that to your main zone 1 out. I get atmos from b7 this way.

cab/sat as hdmi 1
bluray as hdmi 2
dvd player as hdmi 3

Richard
Have you enabled SimpleLink on the LG? Also is the toggle switch for Atmos on the LG under Sound greyed out or can you switch on?

Just

Just run everything from hdmi 2 on tv and then that to your main zone 1 out. I get atmos from b7 this way.

are you saying use hdmi2 out of the LG (arc) which it currently is and connect to main zone 1? main zone one hdmi (arc)? that is how it is currently connected unless I've miss understood you

Have you enabled SimpleLink on the LG? Also is the toggle switch for Atmos on the LG under Sound greyed out or can you switch on?
Hi
Yes Simplelink is enabled on the LG and the dolby atmos is set to on in the menu but greyed out it changes colour if you select TV speakers or TV and optical ( I think that is correct form memory) if you select Optical~hdmi (which is the second option under TV speaker I believe it turn grey again

The dolby digital plus with atmos won't travel via optical so it does have to be HDMI ARC. Just a thought, do you have the top subscription package with Netflix, and are you selecting to play a video that definitely has an Atmos soundtrack, eg Okja?

EDIT: Second thought, whilst the video is playing, press the movie button on the Denon remote and see what audio options come up, you may have Atmos set to be mixed to a different audio, so just select Atmos from the list, if it is there.

The dolby digital plus with atmos won't travel via optical so it does have to be HDMI ARC. Just a thought, do you have the top subscription package with Netflix, and are you selecting to play a video that definitely has an Atmos soundtrack, eg Okja?

EDIT: Second thought, whilst the video is playing, press the movie button on the Denon remote and see what audio options come up, you may have Atmos set to be mixed to a different audio, so just select Atmos from the list, if it is there.

Yes we have the top subscription with Netflix, the Punisher is Atmos as is lost in space as is Okja as you suggested, am I right in thinking that when watching Netflix there is no onscreen menu from the denon?

Yes we have the top subscription with Netflix, the Punisher is Atmos as is lost in space as is Okja as you suggested, am I right in thinking that when watching Netflix there is no onscreen menu from the denon?
Oh yes, I forgot that. There will be a display on the little LCD on the Denon, which you will have to use instead. So, press the movie button and then use the arrows up and down to scroll through the different sound options, and see if Atmos is an option.

Oh yes, I forgot that. There will be a display on the little LCD on the Denon, which you will have to use instead. So, press the movie button and then use the arrows up and down to scroll through the different sound options, and see if Atmos is an option.
Rather long winded but probably definitive is to go to Set up>General>Audio whilst the programme is playing. This will show the input signal and active speakers and confirm Atmos.

Rather long winded but probably definitive is to go to Set up>General>Audio whilst the programme is playing. This will show the input signal and active speakers and confirm Atmos.

cheers will have a play this evening

cab/sat as hdmi 1
bluray as hdmi 2
dvd player as hdmi 3

Richard

I have a C7 and a 4400 giving me ATMOS via ARC. From what I remember about getting it going on the inputs setup page I had the X against HDMI as you do but I got rid of the OPT in the next column.

I have a C7 and a 4400 giving me ATMOS via ARC. From what I remember about getting it going on the inputs setup page I had the X against HDMI as you do but I got rid of the OPT in the next column.

Ok thanks will try that this evening, just out of curiosity was the X against the TV input and the Opt in the next column?
Cheers

are you saying use hdmi2 out of the LG (arc) which it currently is and connect to main zone 1? main zone one hdmi (arc)? that is how it is currently connected unless I've miss understood you

Yup that's how mine is setup. The denon identifies it as tv audio and then i get atmos.

I played about for an hour last night and managed to get Netflix using the app in the 4K player and atmos appears on the sound options but not on the LG tv app

Unless ive got the wrong end of the stick can you only view Netflix through the tv by pressing the TV button on the denon remote?
In the Denon setup menu when it comes to the "TV" section the only option is Optical or Coaxial which I originally opted for optical hence I could view Netflix via optical, I removed the optical option in the input menu and now no sound at all

Ive also just bough a couple of premium certified Hmdi cables to see if that changes any thing

Last edited:
Good evening all,
Set up my 4400 over past couple of weeks and I am hugely impressed with the sound. Massive improvement over my previous Onkyo TS875 THX receiver, and I’m looking forward to tinkering with the set up to further improve over the coming weeks.
However, I have a question that I’m certain someone will know the answer to, but I just cannot fathom out the following issue:
The Denon has linked to my Samsung QE65Q8F tv in such a way that the tv and the amp both power up when I press the ‘powera on’ button on either the amp or tv remote. The result of this means that if I try to switch off the TV, for example when simply wanting to play a CD, then the Denon switches off too.
Would anyone know how to fix this please as I don’t want to have to have the tv on at all times!
Many thanks in advance.

I played about for an hour last night and managed to get Netflix using the app in the 4K player and atmos appears on the sound options but not on the LG tv app

Unless ive got the wrong end of the stick can you only view Netflix through the tv by pressing the TV button on the denon remote?
In the Denon setup menu when it comes to the "TV" section the only option is Optical or Coaxial which I originally opted for optical hence I could view Netflix via optical, I removed the optical option in the input menu and now no sound at all

Ive also just bough a couple of premium certified Hmdi cables to see if that changes any thing

AVR connected to HDMI2 on TV. AVR switched to TV Audio.

My settings are:
ON TV
Sound - Dolby ATMOS - on.
- Sound Out - Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)
General - SIMPLINK (HDMI CEC) - on

ON AVR
Inputs - Input Assign - TV Audio X under HDMI, all other columns '-'
Video -HDMI Setup - HDMI Control -off
- ARC -on

When I use the Netflix app on the tv any programmes that include ATMOS have it flagged in the top line description. The AVR displays Dolby Atmos when it works.

I used Altered Carbon to test.

Hello all,
I’ve sat and read through all 10 pages of this chat last nigh and today, as I have, as of about 3 hours ago, ordered the 4400 for £799 from Richer Sounds.
Hopefully arriving in store tomorrow for pick up.
Currently have a 1 year old x2400 whic ill be putting up for sale soon.
I’m currently running a 5.1.2 set up with Elac Atmos speakers, but we are in the middle of a house extension which involves the garage becoming my man cave. So am building a proper home cinema for myself in there.
Am unsure as t9 whether I will run this as a 7.1.4 (with external amp) of just 5.1.4 yet, going to hook it up with speakers when my garage isn’t half done and do some sound testing, to see if the room can handle the full 11 channels. Fun times ahead for me!

Hello all,
I’ve sat and read through all 10 pages of this chat last nigh and today, as I have, as of about 3 hours ago, ordered the 4400 for £799 from Richer Sounds.
Hopefully arriving in store tomorrow for pick up.
Currently have a 1 year old x2400 whic ill be putting up for sale soon.
I’m currently running a 5.1.2 set up with Elac Atmos speakers, but we are in the middle of a house extension which involves the garage becoming my man cave. So am building a proper home cinema for myself in there.
Am unsure as t9 whether I will run this as a 7.1.4 (with external amp) of just 5.1.4 yet, going to hook it up with speakers when my garage isn’t half done and do some sound testing, to see if the room can handle the full 11 channels. Fun times ahead for me!
I would say after lots of experimenting, given the amount of signal that is actually sent to the height channels. I would go with 7.1.2 (Go for proper full range heights to the side 1m forward of the MLP) rather than 5.1.4.
Have fun!!

Last edited:
I would say after lots of experimenting, given the amount of signal that is actually sent to the height channels. I would go with 7.1.2 (Go for proper full range heights to the side 1m forward of the MLP) rather than 5.1.4.
Have fun!!
That's what I'm doing with my 4400 - Top-Middle R/L actually, for the .2 Also have 2 subs for 7.2.2.

I have a question, will I be able to use my B&W M1’s with this amp As surround speakers?

The amp says it delivers 200w per channel and the M1s are 20-100w.

I don’t want to blow my speakers!

I have a question, will I be able to use my B&W M1’s with this amp As surround speakers?

The amp says it delivers 200w per channel and the M1s are 20-100w.

I don’t want to blow my speakers!
You will be fine. Denon are really telling porkies about maximum power anyway, you'll get nowhere near 200w with all channels driven, more likely a maximum of 50-60 watts. The stated 20-100 watts for the speakers is the maximum before damage could be potentially done and in the real world that is very loud, your ears will probably give up before the speakers do.

I'm sure the M1s will do sterling work as surrounds. Sit back and enjoy.

Cool thanks - saving me a fortune in not having to buy new speakers!
Now just waiting on Richer sounds to tell me it’s in the shop for collection...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom