denon x4100w hdcp question hlp

fender62

Standard Member
i bought off a friend his old denon avr -x4100w real cheap, to replace my denon avr1912, here's my concern, i only use two speakers floor standers, connected to the denon is an nvidia shield tv pro last model they came out with, my tv is a Samsung UE49NU7100 is use an hdmi cable from the denon to tv, obviously the nvidia shield is hdmi to the avr etc, arc out to tv
am i going to have problem with the denon x4100w becasue of the hdcp, i think the x4100w is 2.1 or 2.0? hdcp and my tv is hdcp 2.2 and the shield not sure, im very confused.. i really only the shield for music playback mp3' flac etc off connected hard drive to amp, but the shield has netflix and disney i assume? if i watch something 4k on the shield to denon to tv, im going to have problems no signal errors etc, im confused, whats the lowest rane of denon that has hdcp 2.2 im thinking maybe sell the 4100w and get one with hdcp 2.2.

D

Deleted member 901590

I have an x3100 and a Shield Pro plugged into it too.

Funnily it will work with 4k settings with the menus but, as soon as you try to play something in 4k, it will bring up an HDCP error.

So, I have me Shield output set to 1080p and it works fine.

Of the x2xxx, x3xxx and x4xxx series, you would need the xx200 models onwards.

The ZKelectronics website is a useful tool to check this on.

Note, from my experience, I've had an x2300, an x4400 and an x3600. Whilst on paper all three of them are capable with 4k sources, switching between inputs and using menus when the source was 4k was quickest the more recent the model was. So, you may find using any of the xx200 models a bit "clunky".

gibbsy

It will effect 4K for which you need 2.2. You should be able to pass audio back to the X4100 without problems, certainly if you use digital optical from the TV. There is no need at all to use HDMI ARC with a stereo set up as both HDMI and optical will be limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 in the SD lossy format. You may also find that the optical connection will be far more stable.

D

Deleted member 901590

Agree Gibbsy. Or you can add an optical out from the Shield in one of the USB ports, Nvidia recommend these:

But, following Gibbsy's suggestion means you also get audio from the x4100 from any broadcast TV or apps on the TV. Worth noting that the Shield doesn't support all streaming... e.g. no Britbox, no 4k for BBC iplayer, that you TV may support.

fender62

Standard Member
thanks for all replies, kind of wishing i never bought it now, although i only paid £150.
whats the cheapest denon avr thats hdcp 2.2 or a used one thats hdcp 2.2, i just want hassle free nvidia shield to avr to tv with no 4k errors.

gibbsy

thanks for all replies, kind of wishing i never bought it now, although i only paid £150.
whats the cheapest denon avr thats hdcp 2.2 or a used one thats hdcp 2.2, i just want hassle free nvidia shield to avr to tv with no 4k errors.
All of the current Denon models have 2.2 but going cheaper will mean that you are going to sacrifice both power and audio quality, certainly if you drop to the current X3700. The cheapest is the AVC-660H which has a recommended price tag of £499.

I certainly wouldn't bother as I can see no problems at all with you running the X3100. All you need to do is to connect all your video sources direct to the TV and connect back to the X3100 by digital optical. You'd need that connection anyway to be able to play audio from the TV itself.

fender62

Standard Member

gibbsy, question.. if i ran the optical back to the x4100 from tv, would i still get osd on the avr, little confused, if it goes into optical input on avr, what do i set the avr to..iv never used optical inputs before only old phono etc, what do i set the avr to.​

dante01

Distinguished Member

gibbsy, question.. if i ran the optical back to the x4100 from tv, would i still get osd on the avr, little confused, if it goes into optical input on avr, what do i set the avr to..iv never used optical inputs before only old phono etc, what do i set the avr to.​

You'd be accessing a source via the TV, either an app or an external device connected to that TV is using the TV's optical audio output. As such, you'd not be passing any video through the AV receiver and out to said TV so no, you'd not be able to access the AV receiver's menus and onscreen graphics while selecting the TV as a source. The AV receiver has to be able to mix its onscreen graphics into the video signal and if the video isn't passing rgrough the AV receiver then this isn't possible. The video you see onscreen when utilising the TV's optiocal audio output will have been sourced elsewhere and not via the AV receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom