Denon x4000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by moscupeter, Aug 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. moscupeter

moscupeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I just sold my Denon 3311CI just because of the "itch", I was happy with the unit, but wanted something different.

Here is the problem:

I picked up a pioneer elite sc 63 from Best Buy as " Open Box" for ~750.
    Long story short, I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me but I feel the denon sounded fuller, better separation, etc.

I am gonna return the pioneer and wanna go back to a Denon unit.

My current setup : All Andrew Jones Pioneer( yes the cheap ones:laugh:, I love them, I have towers for fronts and bookshelf's for rears in a 5.1 setup)

My entertainment room is a perfect square.

Here is the question :

Denon 3313 ~$600
    Denon X4000 ~ $900

Keeping in mind my setup, my room shape, etc do you thing I am gonna benefit from the new audyssey xt 32?
    That is THE ONLY thing that would make me chose the x4000 over the 3313?

I know the internet is overwhelmed by questions like this, but if you listened to both please advise.

Best regards,

Peter

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    The new X models are supposed to sound more clinical in nature than their predecessors so I'd advise you audition the X4000 prior to any decision.

The AVR3313 is good value for money, but was overpriced to begin with. The main advantages the X4000 have over the AVR3313 is its XT32 room correction and its ability to play both digital and analogue audio sources in additional audio zones.

3. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,006
    I was using a 3313 until recently but dropped it in favour of a yamaha since it was too flat and unexciting for movies in my opinion. As Dante says the new x series has a different audio signature than recent denon amps and from the reviews and comments I've read has been warmly received and ive even read them described as a return to form for denon. At only $300 difference the x4000 would be a no brainer to me. Its going to be a few months yet before it reaches anywhere near that price in the UK.

One other important feature, to me anyway, is the video select function whereby you can use a network source such as Internet radio and HDMI source such as cable box simultaneously. That's on my current yamaha and also on the 4000 but not the 3313.

4. moscupeter

moscupeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a onkyo 818 for 650 icluding tax and shipping.
    It has xt32 so looking forward .

Thanks guys

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,902
    The X4000 has dual sub EQ and can allow 3 HDMI outputs, so it may help me once I sort out my two subs and I'd be able to get rid of my separate HDMI splitter. What I'm not keen on is the reports that it has a brighter sound: I still use an old 3805 in my second system and my main system is an Arcam AV9, P25/3 and P1000. Since I don't listen to so much music these days I'm steering more towards a film orientated set up,but I don't want a harsh sound at all.

The biggest issue over here is that there aren't many places with them for sale yet in the UK. Second is that it's hard to find somewhere that I could take one home to demo properly (against a credit card of course) as I have done with much of my other gear. Some have said that it would be a backwards step for me, but I do like the idea of the reduced box count (I'd still keep one power amp for the front three speakers), XT32 and the possibility to try front heights.

However, I have speakers and subs to sort out first. Perhaps the price will fall in the meantime. ;)