Denon X4000 - Zone 2 video output too small?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by daveb975, Apr 13, 2016.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I have a Denon X4000 AVR and an Marantz SR7007 driving two systems in adjacent rooms.

There are several sources that I'd like to share from the Denon to the Marantz. After trying a few of the cheaper HDMI matrices with little success, I was advised on here either to get an expensive matrix, or just use the zone 2 HDMI output of the Denon into the Marantz.

I chose the latter, and it works reasonably well, but I have two issues:

1. My Apple TV is connected to the Denon and gives a full size picture on that system. On the Marantz, the picture and sound come through fine, but the picture will not fill the whole screen.

2. After a short time, I seem to get HDMI handshake issues on the Marantz system, resulting in the picture and sound turning off altogether.

Are there any suggestions to remedy these problems?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    How long is the HDMI cable connecting the 2 AVRs?

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,136
    I've a similar setup using the second HDMI zone output of a DEnon AVRX3313 to a Yamaha RXV2065 is another room. I convey the HDMI signal via cat6 using a HDBaseT extender. I don't have any handshake issues.

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    About 2 metres. I was going to try another one, but it is going through the wall! I might dig out a 10m one that I have and go around just to test.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Perhaps it is the cable in that case. Do you get a full size picture on your second set up?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,136
    A 2M cable shouldn't cause an issue, but you may want to replace it with one that is specifically catagorised as being High Speed. I'd suggest one of Amazon's own Basics cables as being a very reliable and affordable replacement option:

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2 m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If not the cable and if the issue is being caused by poor handshaking between the devices then I'm afraid that there's not really much you can do about it.

I'm at a loss as to why the image would be smaller on the second TV unless the TV in that room is a higher resolution model than that being used in the main room? Even so, the TV itself should scale the image up to make it fit the TV's panel. I can only therefore conclude that the image being smaller has something to do with the TV's settings as opposed to issues with the 2 AV receiver?

7. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Thanks. I will swap the cables out just in case.

The smaller image has me at a complete loss. I know it is not a TV issue because the Marantz AVR has both a 1080p TV AND a 1080p projector connected to it, and both display the smaller image on sources that come via the Denon's zone 2 output, but full size on sources connected directly to the Marantz!

I have tried displaying all of the items connected to the Denon on the TV/PJ (Apple TV, Amazon Prime box, Denon BD player) and all of them display full size on the Denon and smaller on the Marantz.

There must be something I am missing, but I am not quite sure what it is!

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I have swapped cables and no difference. It looks like I have got the 'classic' Denon faulty HDMI board. I have had several over the years! Not sure if I'll bother sending it back in this case, probably less hassle just buying new sources for the other zone.