Denon X3700H vs Marantz 6015 vs Arcam AVR390

jonleech

Novice Member
Hello.

I'm looking for a new recieved to go with my 7.1 setup (KEF iQ5 Front, iQ60c Centre and T101 surround and back, sub TBD).

I have a Samsung Q7F which supports the basic ARC, so will be plugging my FireTV 4k stick into the receiver and will "put up" with DD5.1 from my Virgin Media box plugged directly into the TV (suppose I can always get a HDMI splitter).
I also have a Panasonic 4k Bluray player to plug in.

Not interested in 8k, ever.
Atmos maybe, but not in the short term.
I'll get a PS5 once they are available.

Room is 6m wide and 3.4m deep.

My last amp was a Denon AVC-A11XVA, but no way to use it with 4k so it's on eBay!

The Arcam AVR390 looks like the best bet, I don't need the 8k that the others support, and if I want Atmos, I can add another amp.

My only concern is future proofing... If I'm not bothered about more speakers and resolutions (4k and Uncompressed 7.1 is fine for my ears and eyes), will it be good for the next 10 years like my old Denon was?

Main use will be movies, but also used for music.

Any views on which would be best?

Zarf2007

It has the main HDR formats (HDR, HLG and Dolby Vision) as well as supporting atmos and dts x along with 4K @ 60hz so you are pretty well covered for all features except 4K/120hz gaming (only works for PS5 and PC at the moment anyway) and 8k (who cares).

Whilst the onboard amps are good enough (and Arcam are more honest about their power ratings than D/M AVRs), if you can stretch to it I would pair with a power amp like this and you would have an awesome system for music and movies:

peter Tyson also have an open box avr390 with 5 years warranty here:

I‘ve previously owned Denon 3500/4500 and 4700 and Arcam sound beats them all!

you don’t get wifi or airplay etc but easy to add a 3rd party streamer if you need these.

Last edited:

jonleech

Novice Member
Thanks!

I'd spotted the open box unit at Peter Tyson and had spoken to them about it earlier today (it was a display unit, never used). I was going to buy it next week, but now you've given others a heads up on the deal, I've just bought it :)

It was inevitable.. :)

Plenty of scope for power amp upgrades later, the iQ5's aren't that big, so it is probably overkill for now.

Next "essential" purchase is a sub :)

Zarf2007

Thanks!

I'd spotted the open box unit at Peter Tyson and had spoken to them about it earlier today (it was a display unit, never used). I was going to buy it next week, but now you've given others a heads up on the deal, I've just bought it :)

It was inevitable.. :)

Plenty of scope for power amp upgrades later, the iQ5's aren't that big, so it is probably overkill for now.

Next "essential" purchase is a sub :)

nicely done, can highly recommend BK subs as they punch well above their weight....they have an eBay shop and can recommend this:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom