Denon X3700H - Tearing my hair out and not much left

Well, this is exactly the issue for me.

Rather naively, I believed Sound United when they said the PS5 isn't affected by the issues surrounding the Panasonic HDMI chipset. It allegedly, only affects the X-Box.

Hence, why I purchased an X3700H in January, even though I was aware of the issues surrounding the problematic chipset.

There's a single 2.1 HDMI on the Denon's, it's identified as 8K on the rear and you have to enable '8K' within the settings in order to benefit from the likes of 120Hz.

Doing so on mine has caused me issues. I shouldn't have bought it. I regret my purchase... mostly because of the bloomin' earache I get from the family when things don't work:rolleyes:.
As I said I'm not a gamer so HDMI 2.1 is not an issue for me and I'll certainly keep the current Denon for at least another four years. Hopefully it's will all be sorted by then, but I feel your pain, it's almost as if the roll out was too rushed just to get into the 2021 models.

My Brother wants me to help put together a 5.1 setup for him. He has a PS5, so have advised him to hold off getting an AVR until/if the issue is resolved. I know he could do the workround Denon suggests, but I'd feel guilty advising him to spend his money on a item that has known bugs.

As I said I'm not a gamer so HDMI 2.1 is not an issue for me and I'll certainly keep the current Denon for at least another four years. Hopefully it's will all be sorted by then, but I feel your pain, it's almost as if the roll out was too rushed just to get into the 2021 models.

Indeed.

In my original post, I was just relating to the OP's frustrations at the hands of the X3700H and questionning some of Sound Untied's decisions, such as the HDMI layouts on the rear etc, etc.

My Brother wants me to help put together a 5.1 setup for him. He has a PS5, so have advised him to hold off getting an AVR until/if the issue is resolved. I know he could do the workround Denon suggests, but I'd feel guilty advising him to spend his money on a item that has known bugs.

Yer, I wouldn't let Sound Untied off the hook, or Yamaha for that matter, give them your brother's hard earned just to employ a workaround.

And in hindsight, there's little available right now game wise that can actaully take advantage of 120Hz... something else I should've really researched rather than rush out to get a new receiver.

Likewise. I have a 4500H - shan't be parting with it while the 2.1 issue remains unresolved.

And in hindsight, there's little available right now game wise that can actaully take advantage of 120Hz... something else I should've really researched rather than rush out to get a new receiver.
Hindsight is a wonderful (and somewhat annoyingly pointless) thing.

I myself purchased a 2020 Samsung QLED - only to find that many of the native apps on the TV (Disney+ for example) don't pass Dolby Atmos Audio data to my AVR. So I've had to get a cheap Roku stick as a workaround. Don't worry Samsung have felt my wrath!

So don't be too hard on yourself buddy!

Hindsight is a wonderful (and somewhat annoyingly pointless) thing.

I myself purchased a 2020 Samsung QLED - only to find that many of the native apps on the TV (Disney+ for example) don't pass Dolby Atmos Audio data to my AVR. So I've had to get a cheap Roku stick as a workaround. Don't worry Samsung have felt my wrath!

So don't be too hard on yourself buddy!
Hmmm that's strange does the Samsung not have a pass through option on the settings via earc to allow the av to decode it ? I have an x4500h and a lg c9 and the TV apps pass through atmos fine.

Hmmm that's strange does the Samsung not have a pass through option on the settings via earc to allow the av to decode it ? I have an x4500h and a lg c9 and the TV apps pass through atmos fine.
It does have a pass through, but appears not to work. There's loads of people on the Samsung forums complaining about it:

It does have a pass through, but appears not to work. There's loads of people on the Samsung forums complaining about it:

Without going to the bottom it mentioned atmos wasn't supported for Samsung tvs in Disney plus yet

DD+ with atmos works okay via standard ARC from my Samsung Q90R.
Didn't on my Q95T When I last tried. Which to be fair was a few weeks ago. I can't actually test if the issues are still present, as I have disconnected my AVR as I'm remodeling atm.

Didn't on my Q95T When I last tried. Which to be fair was a few weeks ago. I can't actually test if the issues are still present, as I have disconnected my AVR as I'm remodeling atm.
Do you get the atmos icon in Disney plus if its not there the app doesn't support it same for netflix as well

Maybe it's just the Disney+ app that isn't working with Atmos, I don't use that one. It definitely works with the Plex app.

Without going to the bottom it mentioned atmos wasn't supported for Samsung tvs in Disney plus yet
Even though it shows on a films information in the app you download to the TV, that it supports and is in Dolby Atmos. Kinda miss-leading.

Maybe it's just the Disney+ app that isn't working with Atmos, I don't use that one. It definitely works with the Plex app.
I think it is just Disney+ App, but a 4k firestick with the Disney+ App works fine. So there must be something specific about the app on Samsung TV...

I've literally just taken this picture. Star Wars Phantom Menance info via Disnry+ App through my Q95T. Clearly says Dolby Atmos in the "available formats"

20210318_200408.jpg

Yet it didn't show Atmos in my AVR,n despite cycling through the sound modes using the 'Movie" button. Atmos was not listed as an option.

Anyway. We've gone way off topic, and I can't retest as my AVR's not hooked up atm. Just using my stereo amp!

Do you get the atmos icon in Disney plus if its not there the app doesn't support it same for netflix as well
See my post above.

Edit: iirc - Netflix App on the Samsung was fine. But it was a few weeks ago!

Last edited:
I think it is just Disney+ App, but a 4k firestick with the Disney+ App works fine. So there must be something specific about the app on Samsung TV...

I've literally just taken this picture. Star Wars Phantom Menance info via Disnry+ App through my Q95T. Clearly says Dolby Atmos in the "available formats"

View attachment 1478488

Yet it didn't show Atmos in my AVR,n despite cycling through the sound modes using the 'Movie" button. Atmos was not listed as an option.

Anyway. We've gone way off topic, and I can't retest as my AVR's not hooked up atm. Just using my stereo amp!
That's all formats on info as it mentions dolby vision and all avaliable formats. On the normal screen where you select the program it will show you the picture and audio avaliable not the info section

That's all formats on info as it mentions dolby vision and all avaliable formats. On the normal screen where you select the program it will show you the picture and audio avaliable not the info section
Ah fair enough. I'll need to check, which I can't do atm, as my OH is now watching something! 😂

Lol best keep in the good books otherwise no upgrades :)
Very true. Last upgrade (2x SVS SB2000 pro's & a custom AV cabinet - which I'm waiting for a chippy to complete), cost me this "little" guy:

20201224_200307.jpg

Edit: He's a tad bigger now. Got him @ Christmas 🙂

Last edited:
@gedclink on the heat issue - where is the AVR placed and how much ventilation is there. Is there anything on top of it?

Aww cute well worth it. I'm sure your love the av cabinet bepoke is always a good choice.
I shall probably do a thread detailing the custom cabinet journey. It's certainly going to be a unique design - possibly not to everyone's taste etc, but I think my design is good. So watch for the thread!

I wish I hadn't just watched Spurs.

Not even in Dolby Vision could've polished that t*rd.

In the immutable words of Morrissey "heaven knows I'm miserable now":suicide:.
Could be worse. Try being a Liverpool supporter like me! Since January, we've been dire. Couldn't even score in a brothel! 😂😂

My apologies to @gedclink for taking your thread off topic somewhat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom