Denon X3700H - Tearing my hair out and not much left

Jester1066

Jester1066

New telly bought 10 weeks ago - Samsung Q95. New Zealand model - don't hold that against me !

All good. Was running fine with my 7 year old Intel NUC and my 7 year old Denon amp. Decided to treat myself to a new 4k/8k amp in anticipation of upgrading the NUC as well...This is when the problems started...It's currently a 3.1 setup in the living room.

There are a few issues i am noticing. - Will also be buying some HDMI 2.0 cables tomorrow as suspect mine may be 1.4 as they are a good few years old so no idea if that is the holy grail to fix the issues below.

1. Sometimes the sound is missing when i swap between HDMI inputs. I have to select an alternative input, then flick back to the one missing sound. seems to fix it.

2. The HDMI connection between the amp and TV just drops off randomly. First time setup out the box I had a black screen and sound coming through from skyHD input. Lots of plugging in and unplugging cables and it then worked. Thought it was odd but forgot about it. Got the NUC running on another HDMI input and all was well. Has been running okay for about 6 days.

3. I often hear a loud static electricity sounding ' crack ' through the left front speaker when pressing play after using the FF button on skyHD input.

4. In trying to fix the sound issue by checking speaker connections etc I now have caused some ongoing hdmi dropouts. Generally on the Intel NUC HDMI input, screen goes black, dotted circle spins in the middle of TV, screen fixes itself, goes black for several seconds, comes back for 1, goes black...When it does this, the only way to fix it is to select another source or power everything down, then power it all back up 5 minutes later.

5. Tonight I was feeling the unit as it was HOT. It was on the NUC HDMI channel and my hand brushed the HDMI cable and above problem started. Then the " can't find any inputs from the source you selected page". Switching inputs didn't work. Unplugged and replugged cables, and took about 8 attempts at this before a picture re-appeared and all is well again.? !?!??? What I ' think' fixed it was unplugging/ replugging the HDMI-Out cable from the AVR- the one that goes to the samsung TV box.

Does this sound like a faulty AVR, cables ( am swapping out tomorrow) or something else. ARC and CEC are both set to off on the amp and tv. Never had as much trouble from a new setup as this thing is causing.

Thanks for any pointers to try.

Ged
All the points you mention do sound like HDMI cable issues and I wouldn't mind betting that new high speed HDMI 2.0 cables will hopefully resolve them.

Edit: I also don't think the issues you are experiencing are related to or the same as those experienced by PS5 & XBox users. Assuming you don't have either of those consoles of course!

Last edited:

gedclink

Standard Member
Thanks all for the help and opinions :) As an update. Purchased 3 new cables today - 4K 50/60HZ capability. Found out the amp has some diagnostic functions as well so tested the cables. 2 passed on 4k 18GB bandwith, 1 passed on 4k 9GB bandwith and failed the 18GB test. So replaced that cable and they all now appear to be good. Tested my old cables and interestingly enough - the cable from the AVR to the Samsung TV box failed. Tried it about 5 times. I have no idea what ' failed ' means for a cable but I got somewhat excited as at least that might be a cause. Replaced the 3 new cables and turned on. Picture and sound immediately - which was a first. Both inputs - no issues - for now but it's only been 20 mins :) I'll keep updating if i have any other things to report. Thanks again

Barney Gumble

Thanks all for the help and opinions :) As an update. Purchased 3 new cables today - 4K 50/60HZ capability. Found out the amp has some diagnostic functions as well so tested the cables. 2 passed on 4k 18GB bandwith, 1 passed on 4k 9GB bandwith and failed the 18GB test. So replaced that cable and they all now appear to be good. Tested my old cables and interestingly enough - the cable from the AVR to the Samsung TV box failed. Tried it about 5 times. I have no idea what ' failed ' means for a cable but I got somewhat excited as at least that might be a cause. Replaced the 3 new cables and turned on. Picture and sound immediately - which was a first. Both inputs - no issues - for now but it's only been 20 mins :) I'll keep updating if i have any other things to report. Thanks again
Where are the diagnostic functions please?

Edit; very pleased for you you’ve had a result BTW:smashin:. Enjoy;).

Jester1066

Where are the diagnostic functions please?

Edit; very pleased for you you’ve had a result BTW:smashin:. Enjoy;).
Here's a video showing how to use these functions:

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is the same process for any Marantz/Denon receivers. I know both my x4500h & 2500h have this function.

Jester1066

So pleased that a relatively simple & inexpensive cable swap out appears to have resolved your problems 🤞

Well, this is exactly the issue for me.

Rather naively, I believed Sound United when they said the PS5 isn't affected by the issues surrounding the Panasonic HDMI chipset. It allegedly, only affects the X-Box.

Hence, why I purchased an X3700H in January, even though I was aware of the issues surrounding the problematic chipset.

There's a single 2.1 HDMI on the Denon's, it's identified as 8K on the rear and you have to enable '8K' within the settings in order to benefit from the likes of 120Hz.

Doing so on mine has caused me issues. I shouldn't have bought it. I regret my purchase... mostly because of the bloomin' earache I get from the family when things don't work:rolleyes:.
So bearing in mind that 95% of X3700H owners will not have 8K enabled, it's a bit unfair to criticise it for a an issue that will not be experienced by most owners.

I appreciate that it's a bit of a ball ache for yourself, but such is the lot of the early adopter - what other AVR option did you have for 8K?

Good result - a simple cable swap is a cheap fix.

Barney Gumble

So bearing in mind that 95% of X3700H owners will not have 8K enabled, it's a bit unfair to criticise it for a an issue that will not be experienced by most owners.

I appreciate that it's a bit of a ball ache for yourself, but such is the lot of the early adopter - what other AVR option did you have for 8K?

I don't think that's a fair assessment of my comment @CaptainJames .

I bought the unit in good faith, knowing there is issues with the Panasonic HDMI 2.1 chipset but, only after Sound United wheeled out their spokesperson claiming the PS5 isn't affected.

I've not once said the X3700H is no good full stop. I've repeatedly said, my particular unit is not working for me as intended but, crucially, I have stated "more power to those who aren't having issues" because as you quite rightly point out, not everyone is a gamer and not everyone intends to utilise the single HDMI 2.1 port, which is marked '8K'.

However, will this change at the end of the month when some people will undoubtedly purchase the next gen ATV? This is alleged to have HDMI2.1 on-board. What features it will offer via HDMI 2.1 remains to be seen. I hope the advent of a new HDMI 2.1 component doesn't bring with it problems for people that haven't been affected until now.

I commented in this thread due to being able to sympathise with the OP and his frustrations.

I've had the confirmation from RS this morning I'm able to retrun my X3700H and will wait for the new Onkyo range, due in June.

The TX-RZ50 doesn't use the same Panasonic chipset and has three HDM2.1 inputs @40Gps, not one, like Denon and Marantz.

Barney Gumble

Here's a video showing how to use these functions:

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is the same process for any Marantz/Denon receivers. I know both my x4500h & 2500h have this function.

Cheers for this. I will go through the motions, watch the link and try this, before I break my unit down to rule everything out.

I think it may be the only thing I've not tried as I was unaware of this option.

Adziadam

I bought the unit in good faith, knowing there is issues with the Panasonic HDMI 2.1 chipset but, only after Sound United wheeled out their spokesperson claiming the PS5 isn't affected.

I've not once said the X3700H is no good full stop. I've repeatedly said, my particular unit is not working for me as intended but, crucially, I have stated "more power to those who aren't having issues" because as you quite rightly point out, not everyone is a gamer and not everyone intends to utilise the single HDMI 2.1 port, which is marked '8K'.

However, will this change at the end of the month when some people will undoubtedly purchase the next gen ATV? This is alleged to have HDMI2.1 on-board. What features it will offer via HDMI 2.1 remains to be seen. I hope the advent of a new HDMI 2.1 component doesn't bring with it problems for people that haven't been affected until now.

I commented in this thread due to being able to sympathise with the OP and his frustrations.

I've had the confirmation from RS this morning I'm able to retrun my X3700H and will wait for the new Onkyo range, due in June.

The TX-RZ50 doesn't use the same Panasonic chipset and has three HDM2.1 inputs @40Gps, not one, like Denon and Marantz.
I did purchase a X3700h when they were released and i returned it as soon as i heard about the bug and just bought an X4500h i saved around £350 in the cost difference and just run EARC. I get what you mean I have a PS5 and it would be nice not to have to use EARC as I don't get the volume slider in that mode :(. I myself have an eye on onkyo however the new units show 7.2.2 channels of processing and I have 5.1.4 so i don't think it will support rear heights :( unless I'm wrong.

Barney Gumble

I did purchase a X3700h when they were released and i returned it as soon as i heard about the bug and just bought an X4500h i saved around £350 in the cost difference and just run EARC. I get what you mean I have a PS5 and it would be nice not to have to use EARC as I don't get the volume slider in that mode :(. I myself have an eye on onkyo however the new units show 7.2.2 channels of processing and I have 5.1.4 so i don't think it will support rear heights :( unless I'm wrong.

This is the most comprehensive information I've found on the new Onkyos and Pioneers due, if this helps.

And this is confirmation of the details on inputs.

Adziadam

This is the most comprehensive information I've found on the new Onkyos and Pioneers due, if this helps.

Excellent thanks for this. It would seem it can with an additional amplifier on the top-spec models excellent look forward to hear if the Dirac implementation is the full version and the reviews ofc :)

Well I hope the Onkyo solves your issues, but to be fair, it's not just Sound United who claim that the PS5 is unaffected - many PS5 owners seem to have come to the same conclusion. Perhaps you just had a faulty unit (over and above the known chip issue).

Interesting and detailed article. but as a previous big Pioneer fan there is nothing here that would tempt me back - the line up for both brands in fact looks distinctly unambitious, strictly budget to midrange only.

Barney Gumble

Well I hope the Onkyo solves your issues, but to be fair, it's not just Sound United who claim that the PS5 is unaffected - many PS5 owners seem to have come to the same conclusion. Perhaps you just had a faulty unit (over and above the known chip issue).

Less earache, that's what I want ultimately:laugh:.

gibbsy

Less earache, that's what I want ultimately:laugh:.
I like Pioneer products, I have the LX500 4K spinner. Problem is their product support is practically non existent. They have been promising a firmware upgrade to allow HDR10+ since Spring 2019. To call it a little late is an understatement.

I really do hope that the new Onkyo and Pioneer amps do make a good job of delivering reliability and a functioning Dirac experience. If nothing else may push Sound United into looking at Audyssey's performance.

Barney Gumble

Jeez guys...i was looking to upgrade to a denon 3700 avr soon

Think ill wait after reading through this thread lol

I would urge anyone interested in purchasing a new Denon, Marantz or Yamaha with the intention of using with a next gen games console to tread with caution.

Otherwise, don't let my own experience or comments put you off as I don't believe it reflects the majority of users.

And just to ensure you're satisfied, be sure to purchase from either Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson due to their great customer service and six year warranty offered by the former;).

Good luck:thumbsup:.

I would urge anyone interested in purchasing a new Denon, Marantz or Yamaha with the intention of using with a next gen games console to tread with caution.

Otherwise, don't let my own experience or comments put you off as I don't believe it reflects the majority of users.

And just to ensure you're satisfied, be sure to purchase from either Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson due to their great customer service and six year warranty offered by the former;).

Good luck:thumbsup:.
Fair comment. There is no guarantee of course that the current generation of receivers with the 2.1 bug will ever be fixed. One would hope that this year' generation will have fully functioning 2.1 connections, but that isn't a given and we have to wait and see.

But as above, unless a gamer, it's all irrelevant.

Barney Gumble

Fair comment. There is no guarantee of course that the current generation of receivers with the 2.1 bug will ever be fixed. One would hope that this year' generation will have fully functioning 2.1 connections, but that isn't a given and we have to wait and see.

But as above, unless a gamer, it's all irrelevant.

I'm not sure of what other receivers are due this year and which have HDMI 2.1 onboard but, the new Onkyo's and Pioneer's due apparently have chipsets supplied by Nuvoton Technology.

Perhaps somebody better informed than I may be able to share some light on who they are and if their hardware is known to be present in other receivers.

Personally, I'm not pulling the trigger again until confirmation of problem-free receivers is published by way of reviews.

I'm not sure of what other receivers are due this year and which have HDMI 2.1 onboard but, the new Onkyo's and Pioneer's due apparently have chipsets supplied by Nuvoton Technology.

Perhaps somebody better informed than I may be able to share some light on who they are and if their hardware is known to be present in other receivers.

Personally, I'm not pulling the trigger again until confirmation of problem-free receivers is published by way of reviews.
That would be very wise. Never heard of Nuvoton I'm afraid.

Edit

Not exactly reassuring......

Barney Gumble

That would be very wise. Never heard of Nuvoton I'm afraid.

Edit

Not exactly reassuring......

That article merely reaffirms what we already know (it was posted on 28th October 2020), phew!

Nuvotron confirmed only a change of HDMI card would solve the incompatibility issues and that those cards were not expected to be ready until March for the HDMI 2.1 24 Gbps card and at the end of April the HDMI 2.1 40 Gbps.

Hopefully ties in with the release of the new range of receivers, presumably that's why they're scheduled for a June release.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark R1 Mk4 radio gets summer makeover
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd June 2021