Denon X3700H Random Black Screen Flicker

watutink

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently setup my home theatre with my Sony X91J TV connected to the Denon x3700h via HDMI eARC slot. Then, I have a Panasonic 820, a Nitendo Switch, and a UBox media player connected to the Denon via HDMI inputs. When watching video (regular blu-ray or 4K discs through the Panasonic player or streaming through the Ubox player), I am randomly getting a black screen flicker for 2-3 seconds each time it happens then things will work normally again.

When this happens, the TV seems to not get any signal from the HDMI input. So far, this is happening only once or twice per movie viewing. There seems to be a few threads talking about similar issue in the past with Denon AVRs but has no definitive solution. It's 2022 now and Denon has supposedly fixed their HDMI 2.1 issue, I thought I would post this as on a new thread since hardwares have changed already.

I have tried turning off HDMI Control, and switching HDMI Output to Bypass (which would turn off video processing from the receiver), 4k/8K set to Standard (or Enhance) but all of these tries did not help.

But when I connect my Panasonic's HDMI Video Out directly to my TV, and have a separate HDMI cable from Panasonic's HDMI Audio Out to Denon for sounds, I am not getting the black screen flickering issue - so HDMI cable is not an issue? since the same cable works when it is connected directly to the Panasonic player.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this before and has successfully found a fix? I feel this is somehow an issue with the Denon AVR since I am not seeing this issue when I plug the players directly to the TV and only use the AVR for sounds.

Also wondering if this is a Denon AVR specific issue (I cannot seem to find people having the same complains with other brands like Marantz, Yamaha, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Last edited:
I'd suggest you start by trying a different HDMI cable from the AV receiver to the display.

Such issues are often caused by the cable. If not needing to convey anything more than a 4K 60Hz signal then I'd maybe suggest the following 18Gbops HIGH SPEED cable:

Amazon product ASIN B014I8SSD0
The Amazon cables are both affordable and dependable.

Amazon also sell their own PREMIUM certified cables. While not essential, the certification may be something you'd like?

Amazon product ASIN B08224HT83

The fact that the same cable doesn't result in the issues you had if used directly between the source and the TV is no indication of whether or not that cable is the cause of the issue. You can only be assured of the cabkles abilities if actually using it with the devices you intend using it with. These devices don't nescessarilly allocate the same amount of powrr to their HDMI outputs.

Basically, try entirely different cables between your TV and the AV receiver. THe tests you've done do not rule out the cable as being at fault.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am currently using Fiber Optic HDMI 2.1 cable to connect my TV to the receiver. I used the same cable when I connect the TV directly to the Panasonic player.

HDMI Fiber Optic Cable

I have used other lesser cables to connect my media player directly to the TV with no issue too.

Other HDMI Cable I used to connect players to Denon Receiver

The issue only happens when the Denon receiver is in the path.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Upvote 0
Definitely sounds like a handshake issue. I had similar with mine and the fix was changing the cable.

Are your power cables near the hdmi?

Upvote 0
The fiber optic HDMI cable is installed in-wall. I made sure it is not within a couple of feet from power wires within the wall. The only places where this cable is in close proximity with power cable or outlet is at the wall plate area on the TV side.

From the receiver side, I have my surge protectors and outlet on the right side wall, and speaker cables and HDMI at the back wall.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am currently using Fiber Optic HDMI 2.1 cable to connect my TV to the receiver. I used the same cable when I connect the TV directly to the Panasonic player.

HDMI Fiber Optic Cable\

and did you see this review of that cable:

I purchased this cable (probably like many of you) because it was represented as Fibre Optic ..but simply it is NOT fibre optic !

There are several tell tale signs (once you know) ..the most obvious being is HDMI Fibre Optic cable transmission is only 'one way' (so if you can use both port ends of the cable as the source or display, then it is a copper cable, NOT fibre optic) ..the port ends should be stamped as Source or Display, and will only work in that connection direction !

I also received a 3' HDMI cable (same brand advertised optic fibre cable) a couple of weeks ago ..this started my doubts & Optic Fibre research, and hence this cable is also NOT fibre optic
..I had discussed this with Amazon, but they are not able to get a response from supplier BIFALE to confirm or otherwise the construction of this cable.

After reading this though, I did notice that the cable is in fact directional and one end is marked as being the SOURCE end in the images of it on Amazon. THe person who posted the review is either mistaken or has received a different cable?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Upvote 0
and did you see this review of that cable:
Thanks for checking. Yes, I have seen it. He probably got a dud. Mine has Source and Display clearly printed on the connectors. 4K with Dolby Vision videos look flawless from the Panasonic player too...so, I guess I can at least guarantee that the cable can transfer 4K video.

Upvote 0
I bought the X4700H last week and had a similar issue. As others have said, changing the cable between the X4700H and the TV solved the issue. If it happens on more than one input, and in my case also on HEOS generated within the receiver, then it points to an issue between the TV and the receiver. I had an Amazon basics HDMI 2.0 cable to hand, and it solved the problem.

Upvote 0
I bought the X4700H last week and had a similar issue. As others have said, changing the cable between the X4700H and the TV solved the issue. If it happens on more than one input, and in my case also on HEOS generated within the receiver, then it points to an issue between the TV and the receiver. I had an Amazon basics HDMI 2.0 cable to hand, and it solved the problem.
Great to know. I will give it a try. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just had Sky TV installed having been with Virgin Media for years. Engineer swapped out Virgin Tivo box for Sky Q box and connected "Sky" cable between AVR and Sky Q box. I then had constant black out screens for 2/3 seconds etc. on TV. Sky Engineer brought an additional "Sky" cable which I connected from AVR to TV (instead of my prefectly good 4k HMDI cable) and it all works fine. Cables seem to choose whatever source/output they want to work with! P.S I'm not using ARC or HDMI Control etc. - they are switched off.
Not sure if this is useful - I have a 4k Projector connected to Monitor 2 Out of my Denon X3700H and a TV from Monitor 1 Out. I was having handshake issues as I turned off TV and used projector (when Video - Output settings - HDMI Video Output Settings was set to Auto (Dual)). I wasn't getting a picture or able to find a source as I went from watching thru TV to projector viewing. What I did was set the AVR HMDI Video Output Settings to Monitor 1 Out, turned on TV and turn on source (Sky Q box). I then used Quick Select 1 on the Remote control to store this (long press of the 1 button). Secondly in the AVR menu, I set the HDMI Video Output setting to Monitor 2 Out, turned on the projector (with TV off) and set the source again to Sky Q box (as I use this the most). I then set Quick Select 2 on the remote control. With these stored settings, what this rightly seems to do is force the HDMI handshake to the set output (projector or TV). If only using a TV, maybe try setting HDMI Video Output to Monitor 1, saving (and utilising) Quick Select 1 - preventing the AVR "searching" for a source/output.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your input.

Just wanted to report back that I ended up replacing my AV-R to a Yamaha Aventage RX-A6A while keeping the rest of the setup the same, and the issue is gone! Been testing this setup for over a month now.

Not sure why Denon/Marantz is more particular with the cable quality. Since my HDMI cable is installed in-wall and more expensive and difficult to replace, I opted to go with another brand of AVR.

Just sharing so people in similar situation could consider this alternative option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I recently setup my home theatre with my Sony X91J TV connected to the Denon x3700h via HDMI eARC slot. Then, I have a Panasonic 820, a Nitendo Switch, and a UBox media player connected to the Denon via HDMI inputs. When watching video (regular blu-ray or 4K discs through the Panasonic player or streaming through the Ubox player), I am randomly getting a black screen flicker for 2-3 seconds each time it happens then things will work normally again.

When this happens, the TV seems to not get any signal from the HDMI input. So far, this is happening only once or twice per movie viewing. There seems to be a few threads talking about similar issue in the past with Denon AVRs but has no definitive solution. It's 2022 now and Denon has supposedly fixed their HDMI 2.1 issue, I thought I would post this as on a new thread since hardwares have changed already.

I have tried turning off HDMI Control, and switching HDMI Output to Bypass (which would turn off video processing from the receiver), 4k/8K set to Standard (or Enhance) but all of these tries did not help.

But when I connect my Panasonic's HDMI Video Out directly to my TV, and have a separate HDMI cable from Panasonic's HDMI Audio Out to Denon for sounds, I am not getting the black screen flickering issue - so HDMI cable is not an issue? since the same cable works when it is connected directly to the Panasonic player.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this before and has successfully found a fix? I feel this is somehow an issue with the Denon AVR since I am not seeing this issue when I plug the players directly to the TV and only use the AVR for sounds.

Also wondering if this is a Denon AVR specific issue (I cannot seem to find people having the same complains with other brands like Marantz, Yamaha, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
I am having somewhat similar issues with the X3700H and ps5. When using VRR the video is flickering white

Upvote 0
i also have the black screen flicker with my denon x2700, i have the denon avs-3 hdmi switch that also causes issues and wont connect to the tv alot of the time when i have my ps5 and series x connected, bought new certified hdmi cables incase mine were the issue but theres no improvement.

always seems to be denon that i see mentioned with these problems. i miss my onkyo, 12 years and it never missed a beat, pity it didnt have arc or 4k or i would never have bought this thing :(

Upvote 0
i also have the black screen flicker with my denon x2700, i have the denon avs-3 hdmi switch that also causes issues and wont connect to the tv alot of the time when i have my ps5 and series x connected, bought new certified hdmi cables incase mine were the issue but theres no improvement.

always seems to be denon that i see mentioned with these problems. i miss my onkyo, 12 years and it never missed a beat, pity it didnt have arc or 4k or i would never have bought this thing :(
I ordered 3 hdmi cables and was waiti g for them to arrive after a week or two. This is bad news for me 💔 Denon support isn't responding and I just lost faith in the brand. This is my last denon purchase

Upvote 0
I ordered 3 hdmi cables and was waiti g for them to arrive after a week or two. This is bad news for me 💔 Denon support isn't responding and I just lost faith in the brand. This is my last denon purchase
I wont buy another denon either, i have seen a couple of people change from denon to yamaha and they say the flicker has gone

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with a Denon AVR-X2700H. The screen did not flicker, it would blank for 10-15 seconds while audio continued from my Epson front projector. Monitor 1 output was connected to a TCL 65R625 65 inch LCD screen, Monitor 2 output was connected to an Epson Home Cinema 4010 front projector.

I replaced the 25 foot passive HDMI cable to the Epson projector with a 30 foot active optical cable. It made no difference. I checked with direct connections from my Sony 4K blu-ray player, it did not exhibit the issue, only when playing back from the Denon AVR.

I finally got hold of someone at Denon tech support who knew the answer. There is an intrinsic problem with the integrated circuits used for that generation and it applies to all models. HDMI signals from one monitor can interfere with another, causing the blanking. The solution was to go the Denon AVR settings and change HDMI output to Monitor 1 or 2, not both. This fixed the blank screen problem. At the time, which was April 2021, Denon said there was no other fix or model that could correct the issue.

I have not had the issue since changing to monitor selection one at a time. Of course if I forget what monitor was set at last use then I have to switch that monitor on or use the AVR on screen LCD display to change the setting.

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with a Denon AVR-X2700H. The screen did not flicker, it would blank for 10-15 seconds while audio continued from my Epson front projector. Monitor 1 output was connected to a TCL 65R625 65 inch LCD screen, Monitor 2 output was connected to an Epson Home Cinema 4010 front projector.

I replaced the 25 foot passive HDMI cable to the Epson projector with a 30 foot active optical cable. It made no difference. I checked with direct connections from my Sony 4K blu-ray player, it did not exhibit the issue, only when playing back from the Denon AVR.

I finally got hold of someone at Denon tech support who knew the answer. There is an intrinsic problem with the integrated circuits used for that generation and it applies to all models. HDMI signals from one monitor can interfere with another, causing the blanking. The solution was to go the Denon AVR settings and change HDMI output to Monitor 1 or 2, not both. This fixed the blank screen problem. At the time, which was April 2021, Denon said there was no other fix or model that could correct the issue.

I have not had the issue since changing to monitor selection one at a time. Of course if I forget what monitor was set at last use then I have to switch that monitor on or use the AVR on screen LCD display to change the setting.
I’m having same issue as you. With epson projector LS11000 And denon avr-x1700h

Intermittent black screen while audio continues. Can you please provide steps where to set the default monitor types for each of my devices connected to avr? I cannot seem to find it under the setup section of the denon avr

Upvote 0
I’m having same issue as you. With epson projector LS11000 And denon avr-x1700h

Intermittent black screen while audio continues. Can you please provide steps where to set the default monitor types for each of my devices connected to avr? I cannot seem to find it under the setup section of the denon avr
SETUP-VIDEO-OUTPUT SETTINGS

Upvote 0

set mine to monitor 1 and so far it seems to have solved the problem. thanks. :)

Upvote 0

Thanks, twin output was the cause for me. Previously, the second output on but not active, caused my firestick only allow 720p. Its not helpful in-game!

Upvote 0

Oh my lord! Thanks for this. Has resolved the issue on my parents x4500h too! I was ripping my hair out.

Upvote 0

1000004492.jpg

Hey, is this where we set the monitor output?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom