Denon x3700h phono as preamp?

OldSkoO1

I just purchased the x3700 and some speakers to upgrade my home cinema.

I also have a Puresound a30 valve amp that has been unused for years now.

It does not have a phono stage, but this Denon does.

Keep in mind the Denon will be always connected to the speakers for home cinema which have 4 bind terminals with bridges.

a) is there anyway to configure the Denon to have the phono input to not output to the speakers but the AV out to my valve amp

b) is it safe to have the valve amp connected to the speakers second set of bind terminals with the bridge in place if a) is indeed possible. The valve amp will obviously be switched off when using it for tv.

What I’m trying to achieve here is being able to make use of my valve amp again, using the phono input on the Denon with a record player and send this audio to the valve amp to do the amplification with the same set of speakers with having to faff around swapping out cables on the back of the speakers.

thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
You could use the zone 2 pre outs and select the phono source as a second zone source. This will convey that source via the zone 2 pre outs while the AV receiver is set to and portraying another source in the main room.

This will not fascilitate you sharing the same speakers for both the main room and the second zone though.

If wanting to share the speakers then you'd need to include the external amp into the main room setup and use the fropnt left and right channel pre outs. This means you'd not then be able to utilise the external amo independantly of the main room setup.

You'd probably get overall better results via a dedicated standalone phono stage as opposed to passing the signal through the AV receiver.

OldSkoO1

Very nice, thank you!

I agree I would like to get a dedicated phono stage. I think they were quite pricey so may try this first.

Is it ok to have both amps connected to the same speakers with the bridge in place.

The valve amp will of course be off unless I’m playing music and it sounds like I can use zones to prevent any signal being sent to the speakers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
No, you should avoid connrcting more than one amplifier directly to the speakers or you'll cause serious damage to your amplifier, the AV receiver and probably the speakers too!

You'd need an amp switch if wanting to share the same speakers between 2 seperate amps. Here's such a switch:

Last edited:
Very nice, thank you!

I agree I would like to get a dedicated phono stage. I think they were quite pricey so may try this first.

Is it ok to have both amps connected to the same speakers with the bridge in place.

The valve amp will of course be off unless I’m playing music and it sounds like I can use zones to prevent any signal being sent to the speakers.
The phono stage on the Denon is probably a bit pants to be honest anyway. Something like a Rega Fono Mini will not break the bank.

OldSkoO1

Thanks guys really appreciate the knowledge and advice

I’ll skip this idea for now. Laziness will not prevail this time.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom