Question Denon X3600H and Yamaha MX-A5200

sicrates

Established Member
Reaction score
Right I have gone and splashed the cash and ordered a Denon X3600H and a Yamaha MX-A5200 amp, with the intention of using the Denon as the processor feeding into the Yamaha. I have only had mid-range AVRs up to this point and I wouldn’t say I was totally happy with all the intricacies of setting them up. So I’m a bit nervous about doing this - has anyone got any tips or links that will help me set them up without blowing up either of them or my speakers?

I will be on a 7.2 setup initially, and early next year I’ll get the ceiling speakers up for 7.2.4.

Thanks in advance for any info

The Denon will drive that Yamaha fine.

However there are better power amplifier our there, the Yamaha really isn't that powerful.

Right I have gone and splashed the cash and ordered a Denon X3600H and a Yamaha MX-A5200 amp, with the intention of using the Denon as the processor feeding into the Yamaha. I have only had mid-range AVRs up to this point and I wouldn’t say I was totally happy with all the intricacies of setting them up. So I’m a bit nervous about doing this - has anyone got any tips or links that will help me set them up without blowing up either of them or my speakers?

I will be on a 7.2 setup initially, and early next year I’ll get the ceiling speakers up for 7.2.4.

Thanks in advance for any info

With the Denon you usually get a handy set of stickers/labels for the various channels so I'd suggest using those on the ends of the RCA cables and speaker cables that go into the Yamaha. It'll make life easier when you're connecting everything together.

The Yamaha has various switches and selectors so you'll need to make sure they're all in the correct positions for the Inputs you'll be using.

Once it's all connected any further set up will be just like setting up a normal AVR. It just initially looks a bit daunting when you take a peek at the back of the Amps and at all the cabling.

And stating the obvious, make sure both are powered off when you plug/unplug anything in or out. I tend to completely switch them off at the power socket to avoid any mishap.

Last edited:
Brill. Unclear how this helps me set up my Yamaha MX-A2500. I realise it is probably rubbish, and not worth spitting on if one were to pass one lying in the gutter, but it would be nice if I could get some sounds out of it without blowing it or my receiver up. Would love to hear any helpful hints on doing that.

I’m not sure what rccarguy is trying to tell you tbh. Better how?

I’ve not heard the Yamaha MC-A5200 but from what I’ve read it’s an extremely clean and transparent power amplifier. Exactly what I would want - not adding any ‘colour’ to the sound and very good output for all 7 channels. And of course Yamaha’s extremely high build quality!

Once you’ve connected the power amp then the set up will effectively be the same as you’ve experienced with your previous AVRs.

The only thing I’d add is to switch off the Denon’s internal amps that aren’t being used if you are able to within the Denon’s settings.

Do let us know your thoughts and impressions when you receive them. 👍

HB

I’m not sure what rccarguy is trying to tell you tbh. Better how?

I’ve not heard the Yamaha MC-A5200 but from what I’ve read it’s an extremely clean and transparent power amplifier. Exactly what I would want - not adding any ‘colour’ to the sound and very good output for all 7 channels. And of course Yamaha’s extremely high build quality!

Once you’ve connected the power amp set up will effectively be the same as you’ve experienced with your previous AVRs.

The only thing I’d add is to switch off the Denon’s internal amps that aren’t being used if you are able to within the Denon’s settings.

Do let us know your thoughts and impressions when you receive them. 👍

HB

The Yamaha isn't that powerful, with small power supply, and low amount of storage capacity.

600w and 20,000uf for a 11 channel Poweramp is pathetic, most two channels will surpass that easily.

The Yamaha isn't that powerful, with small power supply, and low amount of storage capacity.

600w and 20,000uf for a 11 channel Poweramp is pathetic, most two channels will surpass that easily.
Oh, I see. You are just trolling.
Well you have fun and enjoy yourself.

HB

I don’t want advice on what to buy. I am happy with what I have got and how much I paid for it. I want advice on how to set up what I have bought. Please feel free to set up a thread about amps that are better than this amp and argue there. I just need some hints and tips - thanks to the people who have helped so far.

Connect Denon pre outs into Yamaha. Connect speaker cable to Yamaha

Rerun auto setup and room eq

As above. Connect the Denon Pre-Outs to the corresponding Inputs on the Yamaha. Each of Inputs on the Yamaha is labelled for identification and each has a switch designating what connection type you want to use. Make sure they're all set to use the RCA Input and not the XLR Input.

It also has Bridging switches on some of the assignable channels so double-check they aren't engaged. There's also an Impedance switch which I would leave on the 8 Ohm setting.

Then connect your speakers to the relevant speaker terminals on the Yamaha. Check everything is ok then power up the Denon and then the Yamaha (or use a 12v Trigger Cable so the Denon switches the Yamaha on).

Then run the Auto Setup on the Denon.

Last edited:
Will there be a trigger cable included do you think or so I need to get one?

So I will connect them with RCA cables? Presumably they are unlikely to come with the amp. Any recommendations?

The photo makes it look like they're attached to each other but there are seven seperate cables with an RCA plug at each end.
My point is that there are seven cables with one end each rather than seven cables with two ends on each end.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom