Denon X3500H or X4500H ?

tim68

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi all

as per my other thread regarding my Marantz SR6010, as of last night I am not getting any sound at all now regardless of removing plug from amp so I am now in the market fro a new amp.

as much as I like the marantz sound I am going to stay clear this time after having problems with a previous model.

I have the above 2 amps in a shortlist, I could buy the X3500H tomorrow but I am not sure if I may regret that in time and save a bit more for the 4500.

are there any big advantages for the 4500 over the 3500 to be aware of ?

My speakers are Kef R500 (older model) mains E301 surrounds/front height and a SVS tower sub in a 5.1.2 setup, does the 3500 offer enough power to drive the Kefs happily ?
thanks for reading

Are you planning to use the system for music, or just for movies / tv?

hi mate,

mostly movies on Apple tv 4K and gaming on Xbox 1 X. I do listen to a little music which is a few albums purchased from Apple so not any serious listening and just background music.

You do know that Denon and Marantz are basically one and the same don't you?

The best option would actually be to split the difference between the AVRX3500 and the X4500 and look at the Maranytz SR6012. This is a model from last year that sells for a discounted price. It offers far better value for your money that either of the 2 Denon models.

Advantages associated with the X4500 over the X3500 would be:
  • 2 additional channels making it a 9 channel receiver
  • the ability to process up to 11 channels and run a 7.1.4 Atmos setup if adding 2 external channels of amplification
  • the inclusion of Auro 3D and IMAX Enhanced
  • More power per channel and a lower THD rating

Last edited:
hi mate,

mostly movies on Apple tv 4K and gaming on Xbox 1 X. I do listen to a little music which is a few albums purchased from Apple so not any serious listening and just background music.
In that case, there is not too much difference between the Denon 3500 or 4500, the main reason for buying the 4500 is for the additional speakers that it can amplify and process, eg if you wanted to expand beyond your 5.1.2 set-up.

The Marantz is better for music, but if that is not your priority then either of the Denon's should be very acceptable for movies and TV.

If you fancy a change from the Denon and Marantz brand, have you considered the Nad T758v3? It comes with Dirac, which is a better room correction system than Audyssey.

NAD T 758 V3 AV Receiver

Peter Tyson has a Marantz SR6012 with a 5 year warranty for £650, is that worth a consideration as well, would prefer to buy now rather than going without an amp for another 4 or 5 months TBH, same price as a X3500H, I know I said I would stay away from Marantz but that 5 year warranty is hard to ignore.

With KEF speakers liking a little bit of grunt the extra headroom that a 4500 would give may be beneficial. I was driving R300s with the X6200.

Peter Tyson has a Marantz SR6012 with a 5 year warranty for £650, is that worth a consideration as well, would prefer to buy now rather than going without an amp for another 4 or 5 months TBH, same price as a X3500H, I know I said I would stay away from Marantz but that 5 year warranty is hard to ignore.
Yes, that is a good price and a good deal. It has pre-outs for adding more amplification power later on if you feel you need to.

thanks very much for all the replies and comments.

In the end I have ordered the Marantz SR7012 from Peter Tyson, it was an extra £190 over the 6012 and thought that was still good value, hopefully will be here tomorrow

will pull out the old amp today and label up all the cables.

Hi Tim
How is your receiver?
I have used 4500 with Kef R300 ,liked the av receiver but lot of issues with sky Q tv etc had to return
Bought for a denon 2500 with no problems with sky Q or sony tv but now quality is compromised
Voice is slightly better but iam missing 4500.

Trying to go back to 4500 with a trade in of 2500

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom