Denon X3500 - Suddenly no Sound

anish1562

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a Denon X3500H that went from working 100% fine to not outputting any sound at all couple days ago. There is no sound from any source, external (HDMI) or internal ( internet radio, spotify).

* I know that all wiring is 100% correct, as this setup was working previously and nothing was changed and i am not muted

* the speakers are fine, I checked with a second amplifier

* When connecting through Spotify, the song keeps "playing" so there is some connection at least, there's just no output. Occasionally, it will show an error message that it cannot play the stream, but not always.

• When I go to the input/output channels preview (looks like this) the input section shows no active channels.
  • I tried factory reset as troubleshooting suggests, did nothing

* when I go to the initial setup wizard, it guides me through the speakers placement, wiring and then gets to testing each channel. I cannot get through this step because the AVR stops responding to the remote. There is a message on screen saying something like "You should hear Front Left channel" and asking to confirm, with options "Yes", "No", "Cancel", the "Yes" is preselected. I can't change to No, or confirm Yes, or switch to "Cancel" even. The remote just does nothing. The only buttons that work are power and Back, which exits the setup menu. This almost seems like a software issue to me, like it's waiting for the speakers to do their thing before continuing the setup, and they never do

* same thing happens with the room correction setup with the microphone, it gets to first speaker and it's waiting forever for it to play the sound

* I can hear the relays switching inside, so it's at least trying to do something

Has anyone had anything similar and managed to fix this issue? Thanks

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same problem right now and I dont know if my receiver is broken. Please respond.

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same problem right now and I dont know if my receiver is broken. Please respond.
Yes the display board or something has gone. I ended buying a new one as it would have costed £400 to fix. Try the factory reset if that doesn’t work it’s not looking good. How long did you have your receiver for?

I’ve had it for two days. Bought it for $200 off Craigslist. Can I ask you a few questions about yours? I’m trying to convince myself that it’s not broken and that the fact that I’m in stereo (2 r-625fa speakers) is the reason the ports aren’t working for audio. If I use the “surround-back” left and right port on the amp assignment “5.1 MAIN + Zone 2 (no preamp for the stereo config)” I can get audio out of both of my speakers only through Bluetooth. Try that for yours.

Otherwise, audio in any capacity doesn’t work. From any zone, or source with different ports attempted. (video passes through it just fine though).

I’ve had it for two days. Bought it for $200 off Craigslist. Can I ask you a few questions about yours? I’m trying to convince myself that it’s not broken and that the fact that I’m in stereo (2 r-625fa speakers) is the reason the ports aren’t working for audio. If I use the “surround-back” left and right port on the amp assignment “5.1 MAIN + Zone 2 (no preamp for the stereo config)” I can get audio out of both of my speakers only through Bluetooth. Try that for yours.

Otherwise, audio in any capacity doesn’t work. From any zone, or source with different ports attempted. (video passes through it just fine though).
Okay so if you’re getting audio from Bluetooth your issue is different to mine as I wasn’t getting audio from any source.

For example, how to use 2ch stereo on main zone.
Pressing either the "Movie" or "Music" buttons (on remote) will allow you to select the various sound modes. One of which will be "Stereo" (aka 2 channel)

Alright. And does the receiver require the same number of speaker outputs to be in use, as the amp assignment specifies, before the outputs are enabled? For example, if I have to choose 5.1 in amp assignment because it’s the lowest setup option, can I just use these two speakers in 2.0?

Or, because I’m missing the speakers needed to make a 5.1 setup, will the receiver disable outputting audio here until the system detects a 5.1 setup since the amp assignment is set to 5.1.

I’m trying to figure out why I can’t get audio on these with my klipchs r-625fa’s

Alright. And does the receiver require the same number of speaker outputs to be in use, as the amp assignment specifies, before the outputs are enabled? For example, if I have to choose 5.1 in amp assignment because it’s the lowest setup option, can I just use these two speakers in 2.0?

Or, because I’m missing the speakers needed to make a 5.1 setup, will the receiver disable outputting audio here until the system detects a 5.1 setup since the amp assignment is set to 5.1.

I’m trying to figure out why I can’t get audio on these with my klipchs r-625fa’s
You will be able to select the stereo sound mode using the method in my last post, with the amp assign set 5.1.

Yes to bit in bold

Last edited:
Are these the floorstanders with the built Dolby Atmos Modules, like this:

If so, make sure you connect the speakers as follows:

Bottom set of terminals (on speaker) ➡️ Front L&R speaker terminals on 3500

To use the Dolby Atmos module:
Top set of terminals (on speaker) ➡️ Surround Back L&R (Denon 3500).

Then set amp assign to 7.1 Front Dolby:

Screenshot_20221130_121829_Chrome.jpg

Once you've done that rerun Audesey.

Last edited:
Yes that’s them. I cant seem to get audio on any sources except for the built in Bluetooth or pandora (haven’t tested Spotify yet), specifically on the back surround speaker L+R outputs while only on zone two AND SPECIFICALLY on the 5.1 + zone 2 (2ch support enabled) amp assignment. Tomorrow I’m going to test some component cables and etc to see if my HDMI is broke or perhaps the thing that controls the zones.

I think my main zone is dead or something isn’t working correctly because settings freezes at testing sound on left speaker front but idk what that is indicative of. Its weird because certain things work fine like video input and output, im just not getting audio.

I’m trying to run these speakers on 2.0 for the front left and right outputs while the amp assignment is on ANY of the preset amp assignments

For clarity, after hours of switching inputs and sources and testing zones with different amp assignment configs, I realized that finding the back surround working on the 5.1 + zone 2 stereo preset was an opportunity to test the main front firing speaker portion of the r-625fa as I only tested the Atmos speakers on top before. I got both main speakers on this way. What else should I try? I’m trying to determine if I’m missing something. I have an Xbox one going to game on receiver, and monitor 1 ARC going to tv (arc input). All new cables, Speaker wire, speakers, hdmi cables, and I get the tv to acknowledge the receiver everytime I plug it in but no audio. Using an optical cable doesn’t seem to change anything.

Yes that’s them. I cant seem to get audio on any sources except for the built in Bluetooth or pandora (haven’t tested Spotify yet), specifically on the back surround speaker L+R outputs while only on zone two AND SPECIFICALLY on the 5.1 + zone 2 (2ch support enabled) amp assignment. Tomorrow I’m going to test some component cables and etc to see if my HDMI is broke or perhaps the thing that controls the zones.

I think my main zone is dead or something isn’t working correctly because settings freezes at testing sound on left speaker front but idk what that is indicative of. Its weird because certain things work fine like video input and output, im just not getting audio.

I’m trying to run these speakers on 2.0 for the front left and right outputs while the amp assignment is on ANY of the preset amp assignments

For clarity, after hours of switching inputs and sources and testing zones with different amp assignment configs, I realized that finding the back surround working on the 5.1 + zone 2 stereo preset was an opportunity to test the main front firing speaker portion of the r-625fa as I only tested the Atmos speakers on top before. I got both main speakers on this way. What else should I try? I’m trying to determine if I’m missing something. I have an Xbox one going to game on receiver, and monitor 1 ARC going to tv (arc input). All new cables, Speaker wire, speakers, hdmi cables, and I get the tv to acknowledge the receiver everytime I plug it in but no audio. Using an optical cable doesn’t seem to change anything.
See my previous reply post#12. But before doing any of that do a full factory reset of the AVR again.

Will do first thing in the morning. Heading to bed after a late night working on this. Thanks for your help by the way!

Will do first thing in the morning. Heading to bed after a late night working on this. Thanks for your help by the way!
You're welcome 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom