• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question DENON X3300W + LSIM 703, Do I need Amplifier?

ahtze

Novice Member
Hi, I have LSIM 703 speakers and the 706c. The AV receiver I have is Denon AVR-X3300W. Do I still need an amplifier?

Does it make a huge different?

fxv300

Established Member
I was looking at the spec of the speaker. Strange there is mo mention of the impedance anywhere.
LSiM706c

However the DENON AV with 180W of power per channel should be able to drive most speakers adequately unless the polk speakers have an unusual impedance.

fxv300

Established Member
compatible w/ 8 Ohm outputs according to manual so Denon should drive those speakers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I was looking at the spec of the speaker. Strange there is mo mention of the impedance anywhere.
LSiM706c

However the DENON AV with 180W of power per channel should be able to drive most speakers adequately unless the polk speakers have an unusual impedance.

The DEnon AVRX3300 hasn't 180 watts per channel available to it. You'd typically get between 80 to 110 watts per channel with only 2 channels driven while driving speakers with an impedance of 8ohm.

The speakers in question have a nominal impedance of 8ohm. Their sensitivity is comparable to that of most speakers so I'd not be too concerned about them being driven by the Denon receiver within a smallish room. Issues may arise if the room is larger than average though.

All in all, there's nothing particularly noteworthy about these speakers when it comes to driving them. They'd not need more power than most other speakers.

D

Deleted member 39241

The rated power output at 105 watts is for 2 channels driven, so it will be less than that if all channels are driven. Your LSIM 703 speakers have 88db sensitivity and recommended amp power of 20 to 200 watts.

However, none of those stats really help to answer your question. Whether your set-up will sound better with additional amplification power depends on a lot of things. Such as the size and acoustic properties of your room, the volume that you listen at, whether you listen to music / movies / multi channel / stereo. As well as your expectations and your ears!

There are a few other threads on here where some people, me included, have found that even quite powerful and expensive AVR's can sometimes be out performed for stereo music listening, by power amps, even the very inexpensive pro audio ones.

If you are asking the question, it suggests that you are not completely satisfied with how your set-up sounds. The only way that you will know for sure if it will sound better with more power is to try it. Can you borrow / home demo / or trial a power amp in some way (sale or return?).

fxv300

Established Member

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks Dante. I was quoting info from the specs. Does that mean the 180W quoted is power across all speakers ?

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx3300w
AVR-X3300W

7x 180W Full 4K Ultra HD Network A/V Receiver with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Full Video Processing

The rating is more than likely 2 channels driven @ 4ohm? The 7 channel driven rating will be substantially lower than this.

EDIT the rating is in fact only one channel driven and not even 2:

Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive)180 W

The rating is also not worth anything because it is relative to a frequency of just 1kHz and not over a 20 to 20,000Hz range. They've also increased the THD which is again not comparable to their other ratings. How many people power just one 6ohm speaker and only output a 1kHz signal?

Last edited:

ahtze

Novice Member
Sorry, I am getting confused. Should I even buy an amplifier? The sound came out to be very loud and infact can kill my ear if I go all up. but will the amplifier make the sound better/clearer?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I am getting confused. Should I even buy an amplifier? The sound came out to be very loud and infact can kill my ear if I go all up. but will the amplifier make the sound better/clearer?

If too loud, turn the volume down.

D

Deleted member 39241

Are you happy with how things sound at the moment? If not, can you explain what it is that you are not happy with, and if it is for all listening, or just certain types (eg stereo music)?

gibbsy

Just live with the sound for a few weeks, let your ears get used to it. If you have to turn the sound down in your room then I suggest in power terms the 3300 is powerful enough. Could an amp improve stereo sound, possibly, but the 3300 is certainly good enough for your particular speakers.

ahtze

Novice Member
Are you happy with how things sound at the moment? If not, can you explain what it is that you are not happy with, and if it is for all listening, or just certain types (eg stereo music)?

I am okay with the sound, its just I am not sure if buying the AMP will help tremendously. I do not want to spend 1k+ to find out there is no difference between them...

D

Deleted member 39241

I am okay with the sound, its just I am not sure if buying the AMP will help tremendously. I do not want to spend 1k+ to find out there is no difference between them...
If you are okay with the sound then the easiest thing to do is just enjoy it!

If you are curious to know if your speakers are capable of sounding much better with different or higher amplification you could try a pro audio (musicians / DJ) amp, which are very inexpensive to buy, and can sometimes even be hired. I see you are in the US, a Benhringer A500 for example is just $199 and available online so you may get a sale or return option.

You may not want to live with a pro audio power amp long term (although you could) but it would answer your question as to would additional or different amplification make a lot of difference to how your speakers sound.

D

Deleted member 39241

Can do, Best sound will come from good separate stereo amp connected from Denon pre-out
Interestingly, that has not been my experience. Best sound so far, is with the CD player connected directly to the stereo power amp, that sounds better than going through the AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom