Denon X2700h setup with kef eggs (KEF KHT2005 HD1)

ONKYOYoYo

Hi
I really like the Denon X2700h
Very impressed with it but I am having a hard time in setting it up with Kef eggs

I have run Audyssey and it comes back setting all the speakers at 80hz
I am using the provided tripod and keeping the tripod at ear height

I keep the subwoofer volume knob at half and frequency and full, This is for the kef kube

I have a 7.1 setup. The SBL and SBR speakers are TDL RTL2 and the subwoofer is REL Qbass

Where do I put the knobs on the REL before running Audyssey?

Can someone give some tweaks and fine-tune settings, please
Thanks

I need to re-run Audyssey so I prefer to get it right this time, with the help of the amazing people here
Thanks all

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are you using two subwoofers as you are talking about the Kef Kube plus a Rel Q-Bass

If you are using an old Q-Bass, how have you connected it, is it via the line-in or the high-level input?

ONKYOYoYo

Are you using two subwoofers as you are talking about the Kef Kube plus a Rel Q-Bass

If you are using an old Q-Bass, how have you connected it, is it via the line-in or the high-level input?
Hi
Thanks for the reply
I have connected via the RCA plugs (Line in)
It was not convenient to connect via high level as the subwoofer is on the side of the room

As a thought
Can the rel subwoofer be connected to the SBL and SBR speakers
I could extend the wires enough to reach them
which is better
Please let me know
Thanks

gibbsy

You should only connect the sub via a single RCA from the sub-woofer pre-out on the Denon. On the Q-Bass I believe it would be the top RCA input. It's a single connection as bass is a mono signal only. Connecting the sub as you have suggested will not work at all.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As it's a subwoofer, it should be connected to either pre-outs or via the high-level connection although the right input is a mono input which means you should be able to connect second sub out on the Denon and then adjust the crossover and level accordingly. If you are wanting to use it purley for stereo, then connect the high-level cable and follow the instructions on your Rel Manual. This will then use the same signal your speakers receive to better effect than using the line-inputs

As for using the SBL/SBR inputs, you'd only want to use those if you specify the AV Receiver to run as bi-amping mode on the X2700H still using the high-level input

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You should only connect the sub via a single RCA from the sub-woofer pre-out on the Denon. On the Q-Bass I believe it would be the top RCA input. It's a single connection as bass is a mono signal only. Connecting the sub as you have suggested will not work at all.
Yeah, it funny how most including Rel use the left channel input, but it claims the mono input on this Rel is the right hand channel which is different :rolleyes:

gibbsy

Yeah, it funny how most including Rel use the left channel input, but it claims the mono input on this Rel is the right hand channel which is different :rolleyes:
I don't think REL employ RCA anymore, just single LFE and the Neutrik connection. Don't think I'd fancy running a Q-Bass with high level from the bi-amping option, it would be better to save power rather than expend it and let the sub do all the heavy lifting. Those little eggs may suffer as well with a full range signal.

Very surprised at the calibrated 80hz, I'd expect 100hz or higher. I think, if memory serves me well, that my old 3005 eggs crossed at 90hz with the centre running to 80hz from an old Denon 2310 (Audyssey MultiEQ).

ONKYOYoYo

Hi
Thanks for the reply
So it would it be ok to use the rca connection and connect to subwoofer output on the Denon
Also, What would the best crossover settings be for the kef eggs and subwoofer and the rel on the denon Audyssey settings, please
Thanks

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Aye I'm sure you are correct. It's an obvious one really as the woofer is a mono product and I always found it a bit unusual that subwoofers had a left and right hand channel although it made them less confusing as now if you want to use the line-in from your stereo amp, which channel do you use left or right which is also another reason why they prefer you using the high-level input

I don't think I ever saw the KHT2005 show anything other than 80Hz when being calibrated if memory serves me correct, but your right you would have put them around 100Hz as they're tiny speakers. Do remember though, Kef did put a lot into the KHT2005 as the 1005 and 3005se came later and Kef even used the same chassis (all be it a different material) for the e305's, so someone certainly had a soft spot for them within Kef

ONKYOYoYo

That is how i am connecting the qbass
I have the subwoofer cable connected to the top rca inpt (red) and then this goes to the denon subwoofer out

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi
Thanks for the reply
So it would it be ok to use the rca connection and connect to subwoofer output on the Denon
Also, What would the best crossover settings be for the kef eggs and subwoofer and the rel on the denon Audyssey settings, please
Thanks
Yeah, using the sub-out from the Denon to the Rel Right RCA should be fine. As for the levels. I'd place both dials around 50% and if it sound muffled, then turn the crossover down until the muffleness is gone. After that, turn the level (which is basically the volume dail) to the level you like if you are not going to run the room eq on the Denon

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
bottom.jpg
That is how i am connecting the qbass
I have the subwoofer cable connected to the top rca inpt (red) and then this goes to the denon subwoofer out
The red one is the right hand channel on that woofer whereas the top one looking at the images (i can find) is the left input which should be black

P.S. the crossover dial is the frequency one on this product

ONKYOYoYo

Yeah, using the sub-out from the Denon to the Rel Right RCA should be fine. As for the levels. I'd place both dials around 50% and if it sound muffled, then turn the crossover down until the muffleness is gone. After that, turn the level (which is basically the volume dail) to the level you like if you are not going to run the room eq on the Denon
Hi
Thanks for the reply
Really blown away with the talent here

I have read that it is best to use denon with Audyssey settings on, so i will re-run and then tweak
So what would you put in the crossover for subwoofers and for the TDL speakers that are for the SBL and SBR
Also what would you put for the crossover for the kef eggs

Also before re-running Audyssey, to confirm
I will put the frequency on the kef subwoofer at full and on the rel frequency at full and on both volume half
is this ok

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I have read that it is best to use denon with Audyssey settings on, so i will re-run and then tweak
So what would you put in the crossover for subwoofers and for the TDL speakers that are for the SBL and SBR
Also what would you put for the crossover for the kef eggs
If you are not going to use the High-Level input, then ignore the surround rears for inputs as the LFE should be all you need from the Sub-Out

As for the crossover, pay attention to the Audyssey regarding the levels on each woofer to get them as close to zero on the amps level. With the crossover/frequency levels, use your own ears as a judgment as we all enjoy different things when it comes to sound. Remember if the sound gives a muddy sound, the crossover is encroaching into the mid-range and needs rolling off. Ideally for learning purpose, you should increase the frequency/crossover till you hear the effect and then reduce it to your taste

If you wanting to use the Rel for stereo reproductions, then read your Rel manual and understand how to connect the high-level input as this will transform TV and musical reproducts when using 2ch alone

ONKYOYoYo

If you are not going to use the High-Level input, then ignore the surround rears for inputs as the LFE should be all you need from the Sub-Out

As for the crossover, pay attention to the Audyssey regarding the levels on each woofer to get them as close to zero on the amps level. With the crossover/frequency levels, use your own ears as a judgment as we all enjoy different things when it comes to sound. Remember if the sound gives a muddy sound, the crossover is encroaching into the mid-range and needs rolling off. Ideally for learning purpose, you should increase the frequency/crossover till you hear the effect and then reduce it to your taste

If you wanting to use the Rel for stereo reproductions, then read your Rel manual and understand how to connect the high-level input as this will transform TV and musical reproducts when using 2ch alone
Hi
Thanks for the reply
What would you use for the crossover for the subwoofer, Kef and The RTL please
I think Audyssey setting the kef eggs at 80hhz seems low
do i set the crossover for the sub at 120hz on audyysey

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom