Question Denon X2700 vs X3600??

Unclefishboy73

Really quick one if poss - I was going for A Denon X2700 but have been offered the X3600 for just £100 more - very tempted as it seems future proofed if I wanted to add more speakers later on (currently aiming for 5.1.2).

I'm a big movie lover and gamer (have the new xbox series X on the way etc) - I have an LG 65 OLED also.

Will I lose out on anything by going for the 3600? It doesn't mention 8k or VRR but I'm not even sure that matters much?

Any advice appreciated!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The AVRX3600 would still be the superior model. The only thing adventageous about the X2700 is its inclusion of HDMI version 2.1.

If you want a comparable replacement for the X3600 inclusive of HDMI version 2.1 then you'd need at least an X3700.

You'd lose the better XT32 Audyssey room EQ cotrection, the pre outs and you'd not get IMAX Enhanced support. The X3600 is also a 9 channel model with 13 channel processing. THe X2700 is a 7 channel model with just 7 channel processing.

Stick with your X3600, connect the next gen XBox directly to your TV and then use eARC to passthrough the audio.

Last edited:

Unclefishboy73

Thanks for the reply, so my worry about the Xbox would be a non issue because I'd run it straight to the TV via 2.1 with the TV connected to the Denon via EARC for the sound?

In essence, the touted gaming features of the 2700 as mentioned in the marketing blurb (VRR, ALLM etc) shouldn't be an issue as I'm effectively not going to use that anyway - and the advantages of the 3600 you mention above mean it makes sense to get the 3600?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The additional bonus is that you'll only need one 48Gbps compliant HDMI cable if connecting the console directly to the TV. You'd need 2 such cables if passing the consoles video output through an HDMI 2.1 equipped AV receiver.

The AV receiver doesn't fascilitate the new gaming features and it merely passes the su=ignal through. THe features will all be there if connecting the new console directly to a compliant display. Your TV and the X3600 also include eARC so you can readilly passthrough any audio format commonly accessible via HDMI using eARC.

Unclefishboy73

Ok thanks that settles it I think. I run my xbox one x (and next month the new xbox series x) straight into the C9 (as I do now anyway) and the fact that the 3600 doesn't pass through VRR etc matters not a jot because I'm going straight to my TV anyway with only the sound out through the TV to the 3600 via eARC.

And the 3600 sounds like it's the superior model in virtually every other way - so to pay 100 quid more for the 3600 over the 2700 is basically a good thing. Yep? Please just say yep so I can buy it and stop thinking about stuff :)

dante01

Distinguished Member
And the 3600 sounds like it's the superior model in virtually every other way - so to pay 100 quid more for the 3600 over the 2700 is basically a good thing. Yep? Please just say yep so I can buy it and stop thinking about stuff :)
Yep, you are getting the X3600 at a discounted price because it is an older model while you'd be paying a premium for the new models just because they are new.

Unclefishboy73

Awesome, thanks for that. An hour or so ago I thought I was being stiffed by PT into buying an old model they were trying to shift out of the warehouse which would leave me with a less functionality and capability - to now thinking that getting the 3600 over the 2700 is a no brainer. I shall go forth and purchase it tomorrow - thanks so much!

Can you recommend a good 48gps HDMI to go from the TV to the 3600?

dante01

Distinguished Member
They are trying to shift them in order to make shelf space for the new models, but this isn't to say that the older models are in some way no longer a legitimate option. You are still getting ahigher tier product.

You'd not need a 48Gbps cable between the TV and the AV receiver. You only need this bettween an HDMI version 2.1 source and an HDMI version 2.1 equipped destination device if and when wanting to convey 8K ot 4K/120 video. You'd use such a cable between one of the new gen consoles and a display that is able to benefit from the higher bandwidth video signal.

I can't help with the cable, I've no experience with 48Gbps cables and it is too soon to be able to pick out one that would be more reliable or better made than another. You could try asking in this forum:

Last edited:

Grahame1080p

Standard Member
Awesome, thanks for that. An hour or so ago I thought I was being stiffed by PT into buying an old model they were trying to shift out of the warehouse which would leave me with a less functionality and capability - to now thinking that getting the 3600 over the 2700 is a no brainer. I shall go forth and purchase it tomorrow - thanks so much!

Can you recommend a good 48gps HDMI to go from the TV to the 3600?
Hi unclefishboy73 did you purchase the denon avr x3600

Unclefishboy73

Hey

Nope, when I tried to go ahead with the deal the next day at PT it was out of stock again. I toyed with going up to the 3700 but that was nearly £400 more. Then Richer Sounds had the 2700 and all the speakers I wanted in stock at a really good price so I went for it. Shame as I would have gone for the 3600 but realistically I wouldn't have used any extra speakers until I moved house, will miss out on the IMAX and whatnot but I'm guessing the 2700 will make me a happy bunny regardless!

I'll post a pic of my new setup when it's done, most coming today with sub coming tommorow

Grahame1080p

Standard Member
Hey

Nope, when I tried to go ahead with the deal the next day at PT it was out of stock again. I toyed with going up to the 3700 but that was nearly £400 more. Then Richer Sounds had the 2700 and all the speakers I wanted in stock at a really good price so I went for it. Shame as I would have gone for the 3600 but realistically I wouldn't have used any extra speakers until I moved house, will miss out on the IMAX and whatnot but I'm guessing the 2700 will make me a happy bunny regardless!

I'll post a pic of my new setup when it's done, most coming today with sub coming tommorow
Yeah you will be happy with it.
Look forward to seeing a pic of your setup, my x3600 should be with me by end of the week or beginning of next week 👍

Darbo

Hey

I'd be interested to know your experience with the 2700 too, I'm picking one up next week after much (much much) deliberation, sad to see my Sony go but the new consoles don't have optical out and the trusty Sony doesn't do hdr.

Darbo

Got mine today, very happy with it, menus are less clear than the Sony it's replacing and it's turned up to 58 just to get decent volume but it does sound flipping lovely (and also cured a sound sync issue I had with a 4k firestick).

Unclefishboy73

What are the speakers you got, they look good 👍
Thanks, they're Monitor Audio Silver 50s fronts and C150 centre, all in gloss black. They echo the mirror glaze of my LG C9 so it all works together. The rears are MA Radius 90s which are quite glossy too. Just keep the kids mucky fingers off them :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett