Denon X2700 showing PCM audio

ammar

Novice Member
I replaced my Yamaha X485 with a Denon X2700 (5.1 speaker system). My Apple TV is connected to it. On my Yamaha receiver, it would correctly display the audio format. For example, DTS HD MA when playing a movie with this audio. However, everything on my Denon is displayed as 'multi in' on the front panel display and PCM in the info menu. I do get surround sound, but why is it not displaying the correct audio format?

dante01

Distinguished Member
It shows PCM because that is what it is receiving and this is what the ATV is outputting. The issue is with your source abnd that device is outputting multichannel PCM. Note that the Apple TV is best left configured to output PCM as opposed to configuring it to bitstream the audio. It uses something called Dolby MAT to enable it to output Atmos and this results in it outputting any Atmos metadata present in conjunction with multichannel PCM. All that is happening is that the ATV is doing the decoding of the channel based element of the audio package rather than the AV receiver.

You are still getting surround sound if receiving multichannel PCM. PCM is simply what results from compressed fprmatted audio being decoded and uncompressed.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom