Denon x2600h owners thread

Evening all. Ive now set up the 2600. To watch the tv on freeview etc what sound input do i need and what cables. Running a pioneer plasma With only 2 HDMI‘s both being used one for the amp one for Amazon prime dongle.. thanks.
Sounds like will be via a optical cable from the TV as doubt the TV supports ARC (sound over HDMI) - you can plug the dongle directly into the receiver (usb for power close by the streamer socket on back).
Hope that helps
Alex

Last edited:
Is anyone having trouble with their amp not switching on with sky/tv as mine will switch off with the sky remote but fails to switch on with any other equipment
mine switches on when I turn on the tv using tv remote - also the Xbox one turns it on via Kinnect infra red remote blaster.
Have you checked the CEC settings on HDMI menus on all the equipment?

Alex

Hi guys.

I'm using Q7000i speakers and I'm getting 120Hz crossover for front and centre, 110Hz for surround.
Subwoofer mode is LFE and LPF for LFE is 120Hz.

I'm finding the sound absolutely incredible and detailed ..the bass is lacking a bit of punch in movies etc though.

All speakers are set as 'Small'. When I check the Audessy results the crossovers are a bit different though. Is there a reason is hadn't defaulted to them?

When I go to Audessy menu I am seeing:
MutliEQ XT = L/R Bypass
Dynamic EQ = Off
Dynamic Volume = Off

Have I set this up wrong ?

Also a side note. In the Audyssey Setup...the 'Amp Assign' is set to Zone2 ....wonder if that is wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Try this on Audyssey:

MutliEQ XT = Reference
Dynamic EQ = On
Dynamic Volume = Off

Thanks - will check it out !

I'm finding sound levels a bit low compared to when I set the Dynamic Volume to off....is it worth changing that too ?

Thanks - will check it out !

I'm finding sound levels a bit low compared to when I set the Dynamic Volume to off....is it worth changing that too ?

yeah i do too - its strange when watching liv v eve earlier im on about 10db which is close to max out?!

In an ideal world, you'd be best advised to leave both Dynamic EQ and Volume off, but the ideal would then be to increase the master volume so it is at or closer to reference level. This level is rather loud and not that comfortable for most households to be able to portray.

THe Dynamic options attempt to portray aspects of the soundtrack at lower listening levels that would otherwise only be heard correctly if portraying the same audio at reference. THis is because the intended dynamic range is only in effect if playing the audio at the level it was mixed at.

Dynamic Volume helps quieter aspects of a soundtrack to be still perceived at lower listening levels while Dynamic EQ deals with the louder effects associated with a soundtrack.

In an ideal world, you'd be best advised to leave both Dynamic EQ and Volume off, but the ideal would then be to increase the master volume so it is at or closer to reference level. This level is rather loud and not that comfortable for most households to be able to portray.

THe Dynamic options attempt to portray aspects of the soundtrack at lower listening levels that would otherwise only be heard correctly if portraying the same audio at reference. THis is because the intended dynamic range is only in effect if playing the audio at the level it was mixed at.

Dynamic Volume helps quieter aspects of a soundtrack to be still perceived at lower listening levels while Dynamic EQ deals with the louder effects associated with a soundtrack.

I see what you mean. Do you have any suggestions on the settings that could help me get the most out of it?

Do the crossover levels seem ok and did the Zone2 part make sense?

Thanks for your help!! You're a legend!

I'd maybe suggest leaving the Dynamic EQ off while engaging the Dynamic Volume setting. THe EQ setting tends to make the louder effects sound overblown which in turn makes the quieter aspects of the audio such as dialogue harder to hear. The Dynamic Volume setting on the other hand makes dialogue easier to hear at lower listening levels.

Note that both the EQ and the Volume settings are dynamic and the closer the master volume is set to 0db (reference) then the less these modes and their associated processing will be in effect.

I'd always suggest speakers be set as SMALL and that lower frequencies be directed to the sub to deal with. The crossovers are only in effect for those speakers designated as being SMALL and the crossovers redirect frequencies at and below their settings away from speakers designated SMALL out to the sub. LPF of LFE should always be set to its default 120Hz because this is the ceiling used for the LFE channel associated with Dolby encoded soundtracks.

If assignong the back channels to zone 2 then you'll be limited to 5.1 in the main room. If wanting to exploit Atmos or DTS:X then you'll want a 5.1.2 setup with the associated speakers in the main room. This would not be possible if the Zone 2 assignment is in effect.

Last edited:
I'd maybe suggest leaving the Dynamic EQ off while engaging the Dynamic Volume setting. THe EQ setting tends to make the louder effects sound overblown which in turn makes the quieter aspects of the audio such as dialogue harder to hear. The Dynamic Volume setting on the other hand makes dialogue easier to hear at lower listening levels.

Note that both the EQ and the Volume settings are dynamic and the closer the master volume is set to 0db (reference) then the less these modes and their associated processing will be in effect.

I'd always suggest speakers be set as SMALL and that lower frequencies be directed to the sub to deal with. The crossovers are only in effect for those speakers designated as being SMALL and the crossovers redirect frequencies at and below their settings away from speakers designated SMALL out to the sub. LPF of LFE should always be set to its default 120Hz because this is the ceiling used for the LFE channel associated with Dolby encoded soundtracks.

If assignong the back channels to zone 2 then you'll be limited to 5.1 in the main room. If wanting to exploit Atmos or DTS:X then you'll want a 5.1.2 setup with the associated speakers in the main room. This would not be possible if the Zone 2 assignment is in effect.

Thank you for looking at this!

I don't have atmos etc, so all good on that front to leave it as zone 2? I'm just a little confused as why it came out as zone 2 by default.

Also I have noticed that in the rear speakers I can hear some spoken voice when watching tv....almost as though the rear speakers are a little 'stereo' in mode......with the onkyo, voice very much came out of the centre and the rear was saved for background noise. Is this to be expected?

Also I have noticed that in the rear speakers I can hear some spoken voice when watching tv....almost as though the rear speakers are a little 'stereo' in mode......with the onkyo, voice very much came out of the centre and the rear was saved for background noise. Is this to be expected?

As long as you are not engaging an upmixing mode such as multichannel stereo then whay you perceive via the surrouds will be no different using your current AV receiver or the previous Onkyo model. THe same source will have resilyrf on the exact same output from those speakers. If the audio is multichannel in nature then what is portrayed via the surrounds must be what was inclusive to the surround channels that were part of the encoded audio coming into the receiver.

Is the 'Multi EQ XT' to be set to Reference?

I've put dynamic Volume on 'light'. Sounding much louder. Might keep it on this for a while.

Reference can result in music sources sounding a little bit "unexciting" as well as it altering the perceived stereo imagary associated with stereo content. I'd personally suggest the Flat option as being better. The reference option is Audysseys own interpratation of what should be EQd and they've decides to roll off the upper frequencies at a lower point that the industry recognised FLAT curve. They suggest this is better suited to smaller rooms in which most AV receivers are put to use, but the flat curve will give better audio relative to music sources than the reference curve.

Audyssey Labs:
Contrary to popular belief, a target curve that is flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz is not always the one that will produce the correct sound. There are several reasons for this including the fact that loudspeakers are much more directional at high frequencies than they are at low frequencies. This means that the balance of direct and room sound is very different at the high and low ends of the frequency spectrum.

The Audyssey Reference target curve setting (also called Movie in some products) makes the appropriate correction at high frequencies to alleviate this problem. A slight roll-off is introduced that restores the balance between direct and reflected sound.

The Audyssey Flat setting (also called Music in some products) uses the MultEQ filters in the same way as the Audyssey curve, but it does not apply a high frequency roll-off. This setting is appropriate for very small or highly treated rooms in which the listener is seated quite close to the loudspeakers. It is also recommended for all rooms when the receiver is in THX processing mode. This allows THX re-equalization to operate exactly as it was intended.

Some manufacturers have decided to implement a Bypass L/R (or Front) setting. This uses the MultEQ filters that were calculated for the entire listening area, but it does not apply any filtering to the front left and right loudspeakers. The average measured response from the front left and right loudspeakers is used as the target curve for the remaining loudspeakers in the system. The subwoofer in this case is equalized to flat as is the case for all the settings described above. This is not a setting recommended by Audyssey.

In some products, there is a Manual EQ setting. This is a traditional parametric equalizer that does not use the MultEQ filters or the Audyssey measurement process at all.

Last edited:
How do you retain Audyssey settings when changing between sources?

Last night when watching GOT on my Vero 4K player(I know I’m late to the party lol) I’d selected DD+ in movie options and tweaked Audyssey/other settings. Was really happy with sound.

Then I switched sources to Sky Q to watch Arsenal v Leeds and all of the above settings changed (incl Audyssey)

Why did this happen and how do I retain same values when changing sources?

How do you retain Audyssey settings when changing between sources?

Last night when watching GOT on my Vero 4K player(I know I’m late to the party lol) I’d selected DD+ in movie options and tweaked Audyssey/other settings. Was really happy with sound.

Then I switched sources to Sky Q to watch Arsenal v Leeds and all of the above settings changed (incl Audyssey)

Why did this happen and how do I retain same values when changing sources?

Sorry, but exactly what did you tweak and via which settings?

Sorry, but exactly what did you tweak and via which settings?

Hi Dante - tweaks were things like:
Audyssey on/off
EQ on/off
Dynamic Vol Light/Med/Heavy etc
Also the other settings like True HD and Cinema on/off

When I changed sources from Vero 4K to Sky Q the sound settings on the X2600 all changed (turning Audyssey and EQ off).

Hope you had good Xmas and New Year - still use those ace crossover settings you advised me on👍

MultEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Reference Level Offset and Dynamic Volume settings are stored indepentantly for each individual source. You can effectively have different settings for each and every source. You'd unfortunately have to modify these setting for each of your sources individually, one by one if wanting the same settings to be applied to each and every one of your sources.

The same goes for any of the sound or upmixing modes you apply. Each source retains the last mode you used in conjunction with it and that mode isn't applied to the other sources unless you also set the receiver to use that mode in association with that source.

MultEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Reference Level Offset and Dynamic Volume settings are stored indepentantly for each individual source. You can effectively have different settings for each and every source. You'd unfortunately have to modify these setting for each of your sources individually, one by one if wanting the same settings to be applied to each and every one of your sources.

The same goes for any of the sound or upmixing modes you apply. Each source retains the last mode you used in conjunction with it and that mode isn't applied to the other sources unless you also set the receiver to use that mode in association with that source.
Ah ok - will change each individual source settings to match one another then.
Once I’ve done that, it should recall those settings each time I flick between sources right?

Each source will retain the settings you change until you change them again.

Further to what I wrote before....when watching sky... anything that is coming through as Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround has spoken voice coming through the rear speakers. Quite close to Stereo. The football tonight on Sky Sports is in Dolby Audio DD + Surround and the commentary is only coming through the centre. Much like I would expect with my previous amp. Is this to be expected ? Feels strange.

Hi, Anybody having issues with getting Multi Channel in instead of Dolby Atmos through an Xbox One X? Dolby Atmos works perfectly fine on BluRay disk movies with no problems but trying to run apps or netflix and even the dolby demos that come with the Atmos App in the XBox seems to come out only in Multi Channel in for some reason? thanks.

Further to what I wrote before....when watching sky... anything that is coming through as Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround has spoken voice coming through the rear speakers. Quite close to Stereo. The football tonight on Sky Sports is in Dolby Audio DD + Surround and the commentary is only coming through the centre. Much like I would expect with my previous amp. Is this to be expected ? Feels strange.

Same issue here. If you have the AVR Remote app (on a tablet) you can see the input and output. I've found that some programs on Sky work fine with DD+Sur, others need it set to just DD or you get the speech coming through the rear speakers. Prime and Netflix seem OK with DD+Sur.

Same issue here. If you have the AVR Remote app (on a tablet) you can see the input and output. I've found that some programs on Sky work fine with DD+Sur, others need it set to just DD or you get the speech coming through the rear speakers. Prime and Netflix seem OK with DD+Sur.

Which cntent is effected. Is it the content with 2 channel DD or is it effecting both this and the 5.1 encoded content? Dolby Digital isn't always 5.1 in nature and the TV channels that utilise it use it to convey 2 channel soundtracks as well as 5.1 surrpund soundtracks. The former would be subject to more processing by an upmixing mode such as Dolby Surround Upmixing which may be why such a mode is resulting in audio ordinarilly associated with dialogue being portrayed via the rear speakers. Also note that the centre speaker isn't the only speaker ordinarilly used to portray dialogue. The speakers used ultimately depend upon where the phase shifts locate the dialogue. It is only the fact that most dialogue is portrayed as being central to the screen that results in that audio being portrayed via the centre speaker.

All dialogue isn't confned to the centre speaker.

What about Neural:X upmixing. What effect does this have?

Last edited:
Which cntent is...

I've only had the amp a week, so not entirely sure. I think you're correct in that it's 2ch sources causing the problem as, from memory, things like Sky's UHD football, movies, are all ok.

On another note (and in relation to a post further up the thread), I did find that with Dynamic Volume off, Ray Donovan was next to impossible to hear the dialogue when listening at low volume, set to low and it's ok.

Gemini sub will be here soon, so looking forward to that!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom