Denon X2600 hdmi monitor 1 and 2 outputs, no picture with 18gbs HDMI 2.1 cable

mikame

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have had for years a setup with denon avr X2600H, LG Oled B9 TV and Full HD video projector. TV is connected to denon eARC hdmi output (monitor 1) and projector to AVR output monitor 2. I play movies using nVidia Shield, so I can watch the movie either from TV or from projector, ok.

I replaced the projector to Epson 12000B and replaced the HDMI cable going to projector from "HDMI with high speed" to 18gbps HDMI 2.1 (yes, denon supports only 2.0 but its ok, 4k 60Hz is enough for me). Oddly, there is no picture either on TV or on the projector when opening the nVidia Shield, or from any other source.
What I do now is every time I want to use projector I have to select from Denon menu Video-> Output->Monitor 2 only and I can watch movies.. The same goes for TV, I have to manually select Monitor 1 if wanting to watch using nVidia Shield. So the default DUAL/both HDMI OUTPUT (monitor 1 and 2) do not work for some reason when changing the cable to 18gbps.
I also tried changing the cable from tv to denon to 18gbs and even 40gbs cable, no affect.

BUT when I switching the monitor 1 and monitor 2 devices other way around, like LG TV to Monitor 2 and projector to Monitor 1, I CAN see the picture on both TV and projector. Of course I loose the eARC/CEC so can't control amplifier volume with TV remote.

I can't understand how 1 cable change stops the HDMI output dual mode from working.
OR maybe the LG OLED B9 65inch is messing things up when connected to eARC, and Denon can't figure it out.

Anyone had similar experience?

FYI - HDMI 2.1 is 48GBPS, HDMI 2.0 is 18GBPS.

You say you can't understand how replacing the cable affects the output, however, you started by saying you replaced the projector. I suspect changing the projector is probably causing more of an issue as it will be communicating to the AVR. However given the 12000B is 4k like the TV you usually get less rather than more issues, since they now share the same resolution.
So long as the cable is a good quality, no more than 5m long, you should be ok in terms of cable, however above that, you need active fibre cables, about £30 for a 10m one on amazon to ensure the signal quality remains strong as drop out can causes all sorts of random issues. The x2600 has an inbuilt cable tester if you look online for the instructions or youtube, this can help check the cables work as intended.

Looking in the manual, HDMI output 1 should always have priority.

If the auto switching is causing issues, you could force it to use one device at a time (unless you need both running at once)
One option is to use the quick select options at the bottom of the remote, you could set "Quick select 1" to use "Monitor 1" and "Quick Select 2" to use "Monitor 2", instead of it been set to "Auto"

I forgot to mention that the old projector did not work either when changed only the cable to 18gbps, but both projectors worked fine when connected the hdmi cable straight from nVidia Shield to the projector without avr in between. The hdmi cable should be good guality, it is AudioQuest Pearl 10m.
Thank you for the tips, I will try those next. If nothing else works at least the Quick select will be fast to use.

both projectors worked fine when connected the hdmi cable straight from nVidia Shield to the projector without avr in between.
That will be because you are going from a source to a display.

When you add the AVR, you have 1 source but 2 displays. With 2 displays the edid will be different for each display, so the TV/projector have to find a resolution, chroma subsampling, HDR format, etc which both can display. This is why when plugging in a (1080p) HD projector a 4k TV only gets a HD signal.

Sometimes devices can fight over what to display and cause issues.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom