Denon X2400h Sporadic Protection Mode (Thermal A)

d10brp

Hi all, I bought a second hand X2400h about a month an a half ago. For the first month it worked great. In the past two weeks it has started going into protection mode sporadically.

This normally happens in one of two scenarios:
1) Initial boot up - particularly to an audio source (optical)
2) Input source change

I have checked the protection model status a couple of times and each time it was thermal model A ("prt:thermal A"), which I understand is an overheating issue.

Today was the first time it entered protection mode while I wasn't changing the source, it had been playing audio for about 30 minutes.

I have found I can unplug the receiver and plug it in again and it'll then run fine, often for hours.

I have been keeping it in a closed cabinet. There is plenty of ventilation at the back (the cabinet has no back) but very little at the front and space either side of it is only 2-3cm. That said, it has been entering protection model first thing in the morning when it should be fairly cool. However, I accept that the damage might be caused by prolonged use in a closed cabinet.

For the next few days I am going to keep it out on top of the cabinet to see if that helps.

I am curious if the issue could be caused by the speakers. In the short time I have had the receiver I have upgraded my speakers, all of which are Cambridge Audio:

SpeakerOldNew
CentreAero 5Aero 5
L/RMinx Min 20Minx XL
Rear L/RMinx Min 11Minx Min 20
Subx201x301

If I get any more protection issues with the receiver out of the cabinet I plan to strip down my speakers to the Min 20s and x301 as a 2.1 system and then swap out the Min 20s for the XLs.

I initially ran the system at 8 ohms as all speakers are rated 8 ohms, but I did change the receiver's setting to 6 ohms the other day as a last throw of the dice.

The prior owner didn't mention any prior protection issues but I didn't ask. However, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt given that I ran it for a month with no issues.

Any suggestions? I get the impression it is on its last legs but would love to be wrong.

mushii

Distinguished Member
Denon AVRs need at least 10cm either side and above them for ventilation (the rear is pretty irrelevant) otherwise they overheat and go into protection mode. These amps run hot and cool via convection. It’s a pretty common problem if you don’t give them enough room to breathe.

d10brp

Denon AVRs need at least 10cm either side and above them for ventilation (the rear is pretty irrelevant) otherwise they overheat and go into protection mode. These amps run hot and cool via convection. It’s a pretty common problem if you don’t give them enough room to breathe.
Thanks, that was what I suspected. 2 questions
1) is it normal that protection mainly kicks in after the unit has been off for 8 hours overnight and it should be at its coolest?
2) Do you have any recommendations for a receiver to fit in to a cupboard in a space that is 47cm wide?

gibbsy

They can heat up pretty quickly if ventilation is as poor as it seems to be getting. I would take the unit out of the cabinet and re-connect the speakers and let it run in the open air to see if the fault returns. Therein would lie your answer as to ventilation or a faulty unit.

d10brp

In case anyone comes here looking for answers to a similar problem, I believe the issue was the amp was overheating. About a month and a half ago I moved the amp to the end part of the storage unit, gave it more air space above, pulled the unit forward an inch to allow more airflow and got an AC Infinity Aircom S9 fan unit to sit on top of the amp. It has been solid as a rock since.

In case anyone comes here looking for answers to a similar problem, I believe the issue was the amp was overheating. About a month and a half ago I moved the amp to the end part of the storage unit, gave it more air space above, pulled the unit forward an inch to allow more airflow and got an AC Infinity Aircom S9 fan unit to sit on top of the amp. It has been solid as a rock since.
Thanks for the update, as you say it may well help someone - queries about overheating Denons are not uncommon.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom