Question Denon X2400 and Netflix

FlyingAnorak

Novice Member
Reaction score
Can I ask for your help again please.

I have a Panasonic TX-50EX750B LED Tv to which I've recently added a Denon X2400H amplifier. All of my devices (Sky box, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Blu Ray DVD etc) are connected to the Denon and the Denon to the TV via HDMI2.

The TV has Netflix built in and before I had the Denon, selecting Netflix on the TV used to play Netflix content with 5.1 sound. Now however, I get no sound on any Netflix content unless I stop the content, go into the programme's Netflix settings, go into Audio, de-select 'English 5.1' and then just select 'English'. I have to do this each and every time to get sound.

Is there a work around this please? The Denon sees the Netflix content as 'TV Audio' but is there a way to make the Denon play Netflix in 5.1 audio?

Thanks

Paul.

The issue is with the TV and not your receiver. THe TV is the device outputting the audio so it is its settings that determine what it outputs.

Your TV will have options relating to the type of audio it outputs while not using its own inbuilt speakers.

You fail to mention whether you are relying upon HDMI ARC or S/PDIF optical for the audio from the TV? If ARC then I fail to see how if using the second HDMI output as opposed to the main HDMI output on the TV? Only the main output is ARC enabled.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I should have said that according to the TV manual, it is HDMI2 that has the ARC channel and thus far the only direct connection between the TV and the Denon is the HDMI cable. I am tempted to add an S/PDIF optical between the TV and the Denon too. Worth a try do you think?

Cheers

Paul.

I have a Denon X4400H connected to a Panasonic TX-65EZ952b and I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out why I can’t get Netflix to work in 5.1, all I get is flickering channel indicators and stuttering playback when SPDIF set to auto, it drives my wife absolutely bonkers when we sit down to watch Netflix and I end up fiddling with the settings to sort the sound out, eventually giving up and selecting PCM.
If your thinking of trying optical, I have disabled ARC and Vierra link and setup AVR to use optical and it still stutters on Netflix.
I have even changed over HDMI cables just in case.
What I find strange is Prime which is also a loaded app on the TV works faultlessly in (Digital+) 5.1 so why can’t Netflix?

I’ve actually considered cancelling Netflix as like I said Prime works faultlessly on the Panasonic so it can work....

How about using something other than the TV as a source for Netflix? A small HDMI device attached directly to the AVR, for example.

How about using something other than the TV as a source for Netflix? A small HDMI device attached directly to the AVR, for example.

Thanks for the tip, I’ve been fixated with trying to get the Panasonic to work I’d completely forgotten to try another device.

Just loaded up my PS4 Pro and have full DTS coming through the X4400H.. thank you

You would expect after paying £3k for the TV and a £10 a month subscription service they would at least get it to work without workarounds.
F6177B37-8054-4A3F-B6A5-D192F51EB8A5.png

Netflix isn't encoded with DTS.

7FED5E97-46F5-4584-A75E-E6C1CAA4DC6F.jpeg
Netflix isn't encoded with DTS.

Hello Dante01 :)
When I did the PS4 Pro settings I just clicked all the boxes and assumed the X4400H would choose the appropriate decoder?
I’ve now deselected DTS and now it shows up as Dolby Digital and currently watching Hans Zimmerman live in Prague in glorious surround.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom