Denon x2300w power issue

MediaMawk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've had this amp for about 8 years and it's been absolutely faultless. I upgraded to a x1700h the other day and sold my old 2300w on eBay. The guy has received it saying it's faulty and was getting a red flashing power light. I've tested it upon return and it seems absolutely fine. So I put it back on eBay and sold it again and lo and behold another buyer gets the same issue flashing red light. Again received it back and again I can't see any issues with it and had a movie playing very loud for the entire duration. They are using the same power cable as me . I'm absolutely stumped and not sure what's going on, I was wondering if anyone on here can you shed any light into what could be causing it and why I'm not seeing the issue.

I asked each buyer to disconnect all cables including speaker cables and test again and they said they still got the flashing red light.

Thanks

Check protection history, see image below

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 13.25.54.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 13.25.54.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 53
Ahh great thanks for that. Ok I had a look and it's reporting PRT:THERMAL B, which apparently is an abnormal heat sink issue. I wonder what could have caused it to do that, like I say I don't seem to be able to replicate the issue.

Most likely it is that the air flow around the unit was not good enough or that fan is fault? Worth checking the fan and the unit is not full of dust

Ok I've taken the cover off and and there is a small amount of dust but I wouldn't say it overly dusty. You mentioned a fan but upon inspection I can't see an obvious fan to check and I don't want to start removing system boards. Do you happen to know where the fan might be?

I've also contacted the buyer and he he said the unit was not put in a closed cabinet it was on top with a lot of room on the top and sides so I'm not sure if it's an overheating thing or not.

It could be damp from the cold travelling. Have they, in any case, tried leaving it somewhere warm and dry for a day or two before testing?

It could be damp from the cold travelling. Have they, in any case, tried leaving it somewhere warm and dry for a day or two before testing?
No I don't believe they would have. In any case I plugged it in when I had it returned and seems fine. They confirmed their setup, output from amp to Samsung TV via arc, and when powered on went into protection mode. He then unplugged everything and just left the power cable and didba full reset, came back an hour later it was still going into protection mode.

It's just so frustrating not being able to replicate the issue, I don't want to sell it again on eBay and get the same problem again.

Ok I've taken the cover off and and there is a small amount of dust but I wouldn't say it overly dusty. You mentioned a fan but upon inspection I can't see an obvious fan to check and I don't want to start removing system boards. Do you happen to know where the fan might be?
Thats a good point maybe the smaller AVRs don't have them, It would be located below the large aluminium heat sinks, mounted on the base plate.

Did the buyers confirm the speakers they are using, just curious if they are pulling alot of power, such as unpowered subwoofer. Total shot in the dark given they had issues even with no speakers plugged in.

You could always try selling on the classified section here, listing the issues which you cannot replicate but at least it's transparent in the sale.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom