Denon x2300w - Atmos on Firestick 4k?

jwlawler

Bitstream is required in some cases (maybe all) as the source device might not understand Atmos. Before getting my new Sony player, I had a 1080p BluRay that was older than Atmos. It could play Atmos discs using bitstream. It did not need to understand the Amos, just send the data to the AVR which did.

dante01

Distinguished Member
My first attempt to attach a picture. Here I am playing a Star Wars film from Disney using a Firestick connected to my X3200W and Samsung TV. If I used the app on the TV, I would not get Atmos.

Then the issue is with the TV. Not every TV can access and or output DD+ inclusive of Atmos metadata if sourced via the TV's own smart apps.

Ensure that the TV's digital audio output is set to BITSTREAM or similar and not set to PCM.

TV's don't need to decode Atmos either, but the way in which ARC and or eARC are implimented can effect whether or not the metadata is conveyed correctly. Note that not allTV s and or their manufacturers actually include the streaming apps that are capable of accessing Atmos. Just because a streaming service provides provision for Atmos isn't to say that the TV manufactuers will do likewise or that their hardware will allow them to.

cybergambit

My first attempt to attach a picture. Here I am playing a Star Wars film from Disney using a Firestick connected to my X3200W and Samsung TV. If I used the app on the TV, I would not get Atmos.
I’m feeling envious... but I will connect up the AVR to my TV to his weekend and see what happens there...

cybergambit

Then the issue is with the TV. Not every TV can access and or output DD+ inclusive of Atmos metadata if sourced via the TV's own smart apps.

Ensure that the TV's digital audio output is set to BITSTREAM or similar and not set to PCM.

TV's don't need to decode Atmos either, but the way in which ARC and or eARC are implimented can effect whether or not the metadata is conveyed correctly. Note that not allTV s and or their manufacturers actually include the streaming apps that are capable of accessing Atmos. Just because a streaming service provides provision for Atmos isn't to say that the TV manufactuers will do likewise or that their hardware will allow them to.
I think it’s actually a Firestick/Disney thing because as has been said they must be sending Atmos within the 4K stream, hence when the display is not 4K ergo the audio is not Atmos.

As mentioned, will test the theory by using my TV instead of projector this weekend - being the only component I change in the set up, it should give the conclusion we all expect.

dante01

Distinguished Member
AS you saif, if outputting to a device that isn't able to portray 4K UHD then apps will not give you the option of selecting content encoded as such. The streaming services only include Atmos with their 4K UHD encoded content. No 4K then no Atmos either. This isn't anything due to the hardware or a restriction imposed by Dolby and is simply a choice made by the streaming services themselves.

HDMI requires that devices share their capabilities with one another. The source therefore has access to your PJ's EDID and knows it isn't 4K UHD compliant. THe apps onboard the source also know this.

One other thing worth noting is that is leaving both the PJ and a 4K compliant TV connected to the AV receiver at the same time then you should either turn off the output connected to the PJ or disconnect the PJ from the mains supply if and when wanting to convey a 4K video source to the TV. THe source willl otherwisestill see the PJs EDID and will only output video compliant with the east capable device it sees in the HDMI chain.

Last edited:

jwlawler

The NetFlix and Prime apps on the TV send Atmos to the AVR. It's odd, for Prime, I get Atmos from the TV or the Firestick. For NetFlix, from the TV but not the Firestick. For Disney, from the Firestick but not the TV.

dante01

Distinguished Member
As suggested, not all streaming srvices develop an app that will provide access to Atmos on all platforms. While some services will then other wont.

The best platform I've encountered as far as Atmos and streaming services go is LG's WebOS platform. You can access Atmos via the Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ and the Disney+ apps if and when Atmos is available.

THe fact one service gives you access to Atmos doesn't gurantee that you'll get it from every service on that platform. Neither does the fact that the devicer can output Atmos gurantee that you'll get Atmos from a particular streaming service.

cybergambit

The NetFlix and Prime apps on the TV send Atmos to the AVR. It's odd, for Prime, I get Atmos from the TV or the Firestick. For NetFlix, from the TV but not the Firestick. For Disney, from the Firestick but not the TV.
As @dante01 has said, this is something I have obsessed about for quite a while - “which device gives the best all round services”. I could only test out what I own, but here is a quick table of the current situation. I’m not aware of LG OS, but I’ve also heard Apple TV is pretty good as a device for Vision/Atmos in most of the services.

E6A2D7B0-66AF-4C01-A8A2-CA4C403D0518.jpeg

dante01

Distinguished Member
Note that Amazon ordinarilly provide support for HDR10+ and Dolby Vision (despite the scarcity of Dolby Vision encoded content). You'd get static HDR10 via devices that don't support Dolby Vision and/or HDR10+.

The BBC use HLG in association with the 4K UHD content they host via the iPlayer. This is also the same form of HDR as you'd get in association with SKY UHD channels. The BBC developed HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)along with the Japanese broadcaster NHK. It was primarilly developed to be used as a broadcast HDR format.

Last edited:

dion 6

As dante01 said not all tv apps support atmos my Panasonic GZ950 netflix app supports atmos but the amazon prime app doesn't so I use a 4k firestick for amazon prime and Disney plus to get atmos
I used to have the firestick connected to my avr but switched it to the tv to get HDR10 + and it also has the advantage of flashing a HDR10+ logo when you start a show

jwlawler

Here I am getting Atmos from the Netflix app on my Samsung TV via my eARC connection to my Denon X3200W. This time, I could not use the Info button on the remote to display the details on the screen as the TV was not showing video from the AVR. Instead, I used the Denon app on my tablet and took a screenshot.

Attachments

• Atmos.png
    Atmos.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You don't need to use the app onboard your tablet. The AV receiver itself will show that you are receiving Atmos on its front panel display if and when you are receiving Atmos and when the AV receiver is processing it.

by default 2021-05-08 at 17.01.01.png

jwlawler

You don't need to use the app onboard your tablet. The AV receiver itself will show that you are receiving Atmos on its front panel display if and when you are receiving Atmos and when the AV receiver is processing it.

View attachment 1508198

Yes but this was a convenient way to post it here. Also, my receiver does not show as much detail as yours.

cybergambit

Just a quick update on this. Seems the latest update by Disney+ has split the video and audio streams because I now get HD video and Atmos audio at the same time. Awesome for HD projector owners!

colonelblighty

Just a quick update on this. Seems the latest update by Disney+ has split the video and audio streams because I now get HD video and Atmos audio at the same time. Awesome for HD projector owners!

That’s good to hear as I’ve been planning to upgrade my Denon AVRX2100 for Atmos since last year but held off due to the hdmi issues for using my Xbox Series X. I’ve also got a 1080p projector and fell down the rabbit hole of what devices would and wouldn’t let me hear Atmos tracks with which services but I never entertained that the audio streams may also be linked to the UHD video streams.

I remember reading last year that the Chromecast with Google TV passed atmos from Amazon Prime to a 1080p projector but It didn’t back then with Disney+ and I’m I can’t remember about Netflix

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom