Denon X2200w / Tannoy HTS 101 XP Audyssey Crossovers & Bass Management

gibbsy

Those fronts are far too high. The idea position is to have all your front speakers aligned on the horizontal plain. You have plenty of room to achieve that and it will improve the audio. I also suspect that the odd readings for your centre is because of reflections from the glass shelf underneath it.

dante01

Distinguished Member
@dante01

Did one last re run of Audyssey and these are the results. Someone managed to sort the crossover out for the centre speaker, don’t know how.

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

Are you sure that the person who dealt with the issue didn't simply manually alter the 200Hz setting Audyssey had arrived at by manually changing the setting to 150Hz. If this is what they did then they shouldn't have because the crossover would now be below where the AV receiver measured the roll off of that speaker to be.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I’m not too sure tbh. What do you suggest? Changing the positions of the speakers?

The front speakers and indeed the surrounds all need to be at your seated head height. You can get away with having the surrounds slighly higher than this, but the front left and right speakers should be at the same height as your ears.

Umar1st

Sorry I didn’t mean to say someone. I meant somehow.

well tbh, I was lying down in bed with the mic on a tripod

I got up and out of bed and re ran the test. I also moved the placement of the sub so it wasn’t as close to the wall than it originally was and turned the dial to around 9.30am

Apart from that I did nothing different.

right okay, I’ve gotta bring the fronts down..

Are those crossovers bad then? If I decide I don’t fancy moving the speakers...

dante01

Distinguished Member
The crossovers are fine as long as you aren't able to locate the sub by being able to locate its output? Not that man people would be able to localise frequencies below 200Hz, but some people are more susceptible to detecting the location where lower end frequeicies are eminating from. No onr can detdetect the location of frequencies at or below 80Hz and this is regarded as being the limit of the human auditory system. You should be fine at or around 150Hz though.

The height and location of the speakers isn't anything to do with their crossovers and is simply a matter of making them more directional. You'd not be getting the intended front stereo imagery if they aren't at your seated head height.

Umar1st

Okay I gotcha. Cool. I’ll try increasing the centre to 160hz when I get home and play a few things to see how they sound

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think your centre soeaker crossover issue may simply have been one associated with how you'd mounted the mic? You often get less than accurate results if not securely mounting the mic during a calibration. It is why you'll often see it being recommended that you use a mic stand.

gibbsy

Yeah, haha. Duly noted
Placing the mic in the correct position and firmly placed makes a big difference in getting the right results, well worth the investment. This is the mic stand I use.
Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom