• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon X2000 v Yamaha 675 amp

kata_tutu

Standard Member
Have recently bought a Pan ZT 60inch plasma and have just bought Tannoy 201 surround speakers. Now looking for an amp. Would also like the amp to power my kitchen ceiling speakers (zone 2 functionality).

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on which amp of these two to go for. The Denon comes in slightly cheaper. Was wondering if anyone had experience with either one or both? Also does the picture out quality vary between the two?

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Picture and video quality shouldn't be an issue because most video is sourced via HDMI these days and this signal is digital and passed through the receiver without any processing being applied to it. When dealing with digital HDMI signals then the video is as good as it was when output via the source even if passing through other devices with built in HDMI repeaters.

The Yamaha would be my choice in terms of audio performance, but the Denon is probably the best receiver currently available for the money. There's not that much difference between the two in terms of features, but the Denon does include Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction which many regard as being better than Yamaha's proprietary YPAO system. I own both a Denon and a Yamaha receiver and still prefer the sound of the Yamaha receiver despite the inclusion of Audyssey room correction onboard the Denon. The Denon also includes PLIIz and Audyssey DSX processing while Yamaha don't include any provision for height speakers, but do include the ability to add additional presence speakers instead. If utilising any of the aforementioned processing then it would be used to add 2 additional channels to 5.1 audio, either height, width or presence. The Yamaha also includes the ability to create virtual presence speakers that doesn't need actual speakers.

kata_tutu

Standard Member
Picture and video quality shouldn't be an issue because most video is sourced via HDMI these days and this signal is digital and passed through the receiver without any processing being applied to it. When dealing with digital HDMI signals then the video is as good as it was when output via the source even if passing through other devices with built in HDMI repeaters.

The Yamaha would be my choice in terms of audio performance, but the Denon is probably the best receiver currently available for the money. There's not that much difference between the two in terms of features, but the Denon does include Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction which many regard as being better than Yamaha's proprietary YPAO system. I own both a Denon and a Yamaha receiver and still prefer the sound of the Yamaha receiver despite the inclusion of Audyssey room correction onboard the Denon. The Denon also includes PLIIz and Audyssey DSX processing while Yamaha don't include any provision for height speakers, do include the ability to add additional presence speakers instead. If utilising any of the aforementioned processing then it would be used to add 2 additional channels to 5.1 audio, either height, width or presence. The Yamaha also includes the ability to create virtual presence speakers that doesn't need actual speakers.

Many thanks for your very comprehensive opinion. Would you mind clarifying what you meant by the Yamaha not including provision for height speakers. I would use the 5.1 only for TV and not music. The 'zone 2' would be for music only. Would you still suggest the Yamaha over Denon - at present they are very similarly priced.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Some 7.1 AV receiver have the ability to use 2 of their amplified channels to power two height speakers. Height speakers can be used with a 7.1 setup instead of the back surrounds or an additional stereo zone. Pro Logic IIz would be one of the processes used to create this:

Dolby Pro Logic IIz

Another option on a 7.1 or more channel amplifier would be additional width effects. Such processing is commonly associated with Audyssey DSX:

A Practical Guide to Audyssey DSX | Audyssey

Both of the two above options are available in conjunction with the Denon, but not with the Yamaha. Yamaha have a similar feature to the width speakers and they call their additional effects speakers presence speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom