Denon X2000 & B&W CM7's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RJay, Feb 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi all,
    I have a Denon X2000 and B&W Cm7's fronts, CM center and CM1's as rears.When I listen to music using the fronts at about -6Db after a while the amp turns off.I think its overload protection.
    My question is..Is this amp powerful enough to power my speakers or is there some other setting that is causing this?
    I am a bit of a noob with Av equipment so any advice is appreciated.
    I dont have a sub.
    I have run the audyssey set up and the configuration is as follows.
    Front set to Large
    Centre set to small
    Surround set to small.
    Amp assign is Bi-amp
    Speaker selection crossovers are...
    Front - Full Band
    Centre and surround - 80Hz
    LPF for LFE - 250Hz

Is there anything I need to change?

Edit*
    MultEQ XT set to Graphic EQ
    Dynamic EQ - Off
    Dynamic Volume - Off

Many thanks,
    Ray

2. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Anyone please?

3. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    The x2000 should be able to power your speakers fine check the wiring make sure there are no stray wires causing a short

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    The receiver can power your speakers to reference level if the distance from your listening position to the speakers is within what would be expected of an AV receiver of this level. The further away you are from the speakers then the more power is needed to attain reference levels in relation to your listening position. Any amp can be deemed not powerful enough if the distance from the speakers is too far for the amp to attain the levels required.

The CM speakers are relatively sensitive so are no harder to drive than most. Your receiver and speakers should be able to attain reference levels without issue within a small to moderate sized room. How far away from the speakers is the primary listening position from which you calibrated the current setup?

It may be that you are indeed putting too much strain upon the amp, but also ensure that all the speaker wires are securely attached to both the speakers and the receiver without any stray strands of wire exposed. electricity can arc from stray strands and this can occur more frequenrly as you increase the power to the speakers. This would also happen more frequently in humid rooms where condensation is an issue. The condensation collects on the exposed wiring and can cause shorts to occur.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  5. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks for the reply Dante, the listening position is about 2m away and it is a relatively small room.Interesting about the cables, I will have a check over them but they are all connected via banana plugs.The room itself is not humid so I think I can rule out condensation.
    Regards

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    The amp and speakers should be fine given the distance you are from the speakers. How about the calibration, did you run it prior to using the receiver and what are the levels that resulted from the calibration?

7. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yes, the first thing I done was to run the calibration set up.
    Levels are as follows..
    FL -3.5dB
    FR -2.0dB
    Ctr -0.5dB
    Surr L -0.5dB
    Surr R +0.5dB
    What is the LPF for LFE ? and is it correct at 250 Hz?
    Thanks

*Edit
    The calibration setup thre Centre and the Surrounds to Large but I changed them to small.
    Could this be a problem?

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    I can't see anything wrong with your levels or anything that would explain the receivers powering down.

The LPF of LFE filter should always be set at 120 Hz. This filter determines at what point to cut off the discrete LFE channel that is included with discrete surround audio and that is intended for the subwoofer. The LFE channel if present includes frequencies at and below 120 Hz so there's no reason to set it higher.

Setting the speakers as being SMALL will not cause issues and is what would be suggested you do, although this should ideally be done while also employing a subwoofer. In your case the frequencies at and below crossovers associated with speakers set to SMALL will be redirected along with the LFE channel to the FRONT speakers designated LARGE. This is normal for a setup that lacks a subwoofer.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  9. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks Dante,
    I ran the calibration again today and one thing that I remember originally is that it set the crossovers for the centre and surrounds to 40Hz, which I then changed to 80Hz.They are now back at 40HZ..will this be ok?
    Checked the connections on the speakers and amp and found a couple banana plugs which were loose fitting so hopefully that was the problem.

Regards

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    I'd suggest setting them to 80 Hz or in line with the actual rated handling capabilities of the speakers. Audyssey doesn't technically set the crossovers and the receiver's manufacturer is responsible for determining at which point the crossover is set by the auto calibration. Audyssey generally suggest you ingnore these settings if the results are lower than 80 Hz and suggest manually setting them to 80 Hz.

Anyway, if your receiver is still lapsing into protection mode then I'd suggest you return it under warranty.

11. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Ok thanks for your help Dante .

Edit,
    Thanks for your reply goujam... totally overseen it :facepalm:

12. Fitzroy

Fitzroy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Someone on another forum was having similar issues with cutting out, no info on what speakers though. Denon advised that minimum distances around the unit need be 4inches above and 6 inches either side else the unit could overheat and this would also result in the unit cutting out.

Not sure many of us have that kind of clearance in our racks but could be worth looking at placement of the unit if you still have issues.

13. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I have a fan blowing over my amp to pull the warm air out it never seems to get warm even after a couple of hours use

14. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    i have about 4 inches above and 3 inches either side.If it happens again I will site it in open and see.If same happens I'll contact Denon.

Thanks all.