Denon X2000 and Samsung F8000 - quick piece of help needed

Marmite

Novice Member
Wasn't sure where to put this one.

Basically I have the Denon connected to my Samsung F8000 via the HDMI 3 on the TV (the arc slot) and the ARC HDMI on the Denon Amp. The blu ray player and Virgin box then go through the Denon as instructed.

I noticed that the HDMI 3 slot on the TV says that it is outputting in 50p though, which seems to be a downgrade on what I had with the old traditional set up. Is there something I should be doing with the TV or amp to ensure Im getting the best possible Virgin picture?

Any help apppreciated here as Im a bit stumped!

Marmite

Novice Member
Ah some further digging reveals it may be that the Tivo box changed setting automatically when I connected the amp. Have had a play with that and things look better now.

Unsure as to whether I should be activating video conversion and the i/p scaler in the Denon settings or not though?

dante01

Distinguished Member
50Hz is the the UK standard framerate for TV broadcasting, hence the 50Hz signal you get from the cable STB and through the receiver to your TV. A TiVo outputs HD video signals anyway so there's no advantage to be gained by using the scaler or video processing capabilities of the AV receiver. The same goes for your BD player which will have its own onboard video scaler.

Last edited:

Marmite

Novice Member
Thanks.

Having played with the settings on the Denon though it does look like the picture is crisper with the i/p scaling turned on to HDMI and the resolution set to 1080p. The progressive mode is set to auto.

dante01

Distinguished Member
All you are doing is deinterlacing the signal and your TV does this anyway. Deinterlacing will not result is a crisper image. Video processing is more likely to cause issues than improve upon picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom