Denon X1600H problem with no solution so far

SomeGuitarist

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've had many problems with this receiver and all of them have had solutions, but this one I can't seem to figure out.

Easiest example of the problem:
Whenever I cast music from Spotify or Tidal to my receiver, the receiver changes source to HEOS music for 3-5 seconds, then instantly changes source to HDMI 1 (CBL/SAT). After that I can try to cast again, but the problem happens again.

What makes it more confusing - SOMETIMES out of nowhere it does not do this. What has occasionally been really useful, is that sometimes I could play music from Spotify on HEOS on receiver and at the same time play a game on the TV system (without sound).

When I have CBL/SAT source on receiver and the same on TV, I open SETUP and go to HEOS ACCOUNT, the same problem happens - it tries to switch to it, then goes back to CBL/SAT.

The TV I have is Philips PUS7805. I've enabled full connection between TV and Receiver (when one turns on/off, so does the other. That might affect the situation, although ideally I would prefer to keep this on due to Google Assistant "turn on, play .. on spotify" etc features on TV)

I'll be checking the thread as often as possible and I hope some of you might have a solution for this, as I'm too frustrated by now and completely out of ideas.

The TV I have is Philips PUS7805. I've enabled full connection between TV and Receiver (when one turns on/off, so does the other. That might affect the situation, although ideally I would prefer to keep this on due to Google Assistant "turn on, play .. on spotify" etc features on TV)
Welcome to the Forum.

CEC could very well be your problem. Turn it off on both the TV and the Denon. CEC can be so problematic that using it is simply not worth the effort.

Welcome to the Forum.

CEC could very well be your problem. Turn it off on both the TV and the Denon. CEC can be so problematic that using it is simply not worth using.
Thank you for such a fast answer!

I had both CECs turned on (Philips TV "EasyLink" and Denon AVR "HDMI Control") As I turned off Denon CEC and left TV's on, I had partial control between both, no problems as before, but lost the ease of use and as good of a connection between both as before. When I turned off EasyLink and kept on Denon HDMI control, I lost all connection between both. So no point to try turning off both, as I wanted to find a solution without turning off CECs.

The answer did make me try out new things. I changed Denon HDMI setup "Pass Source" from "Last" to "DVD" which has no HDMI linked. That seems to have eliminated the issue of sudden source change to CBL/SAT.

Now what would be nice is to have a control over the degree to which the CEC works. The only solution for now is that I put on music on Denon HEOS and on TV pick picture-in-picture mode, so the HEOS source is visible in the corner and I can use TV at the same time. This though is not as convenient as having the whole screen free to use. If anyone has an idea for a workaround, that would be awesome!

Hope you do find a good workaround. I've long given up with CEC and surround myself with a plethora of remotes. This photograph was smuggled out of the meeting where CEC was invented.

78f7f1e21889bcc3115c25f617e361c4.jpg

I agree! I have all of it switched off, it is the worst most confusing thing ever.
Also, @SomeGuitarist my TV is really bad, I have to have CEC on to have ARC. So, I have an optical lead instead - I hate the CEC so much!

My tip, sorry if this has already been said, I've just got an X4400. The remote is great at working other equipment. Before I wired up the x4400, I tried the remote with my x2300 and it worked everything.

In other words, you could look up in Denon manuals any of the (my guess) x4300 to x4700 and higher model remote control models and see if you can find one on ebay.

Or even find an amp spares or repair. I know that sounds stupid... but I needed an Audyssey mic an A409 or something, it ended up cheaper to buy a broken Denon AVR2310 that came with one haha!

I had a similar issue. I wanted to listen to Pandora via HEOS, but have my TV stay off. If I turned everything off, and then turned HEOS on via the phone app, the TV would usually turn on via CEC.
The solution that works for me is to open the HEOS app, turn on Zone2 (this turns on the Denon, but leaves TV off), switch back to the Pandora tab in HEOS and start Pandora streaming. Immediately switch back to the Denon tab and turn Main Zone on. Switch back to Pandora to adjust volume. Switch back to Denon, and turn off Zone 2. Sounds complicated, but works every time. (Except the rare occasion when the receiver switches off after a few seconds. Start Pandora streaming, and the receiver switches back on, and TV remains off.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom