(Denon X1300W) Best sound mode for stereo setup when input signal is 5.1 / 7.1 / Atmos

mhulsie

Standard Member
Hi there,

I have a Denon X1300W with a 2.0 setup. I was wondering what would be the best sound mode to choose when the input signal contains more channels.
For example, if I have a TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 input signal, what do I choose that still has the original quality so to say? I know I am not getting the source as intended because of my stereo setup, but do I still get the original "audio resolution" when choosing "Stereo" sound mode? Or do I have to choose the codec default sound mode, so in this case "TrueHD"?

Same goes for DTS-HD MA, DD, DD+ etc.

Very curious what the differences are between these modes because I can hear a difference between the Stereo sound mode and the codec default sound mode. I could not find a concrete answer online or in the manual so I take a shot here!

Thank you in advance

Dolus

You are only going to get two channels no matter what sound mode you pick. Anything with more than two channels will be down mixed to two, so use the one(s) you like the best. :)
abe lincoln radio GIF

D

Deleted member 901590

It sounds to me like your source material has more than one soundtrack available. So when you switch the mode in the Denon, there may be (for example) a DD2.0 or DD5.1 soundtrack on your source as well as a DTS-HD soundtrack.

And, yes, there is likely to be an audible difference between a compressed source and a lossless, e.g. DTS-HD or TrueHD, source.

Also, there is the DIRECT mode, which will sound different anyway as it is bypassing any processing that you have engaged in STEREO. For example, in STEREO it includes any Audyssey EQ but DIRECT doesn't.

Dolus

It sounds to me like your source material has more than one soundtrack available. So when you switch the mode in the Denon, there may be (for example) a DD2.0 or DD5.1 soundtrack on your source as well as a DTS-HD soundtrack.

And, yes, there is likely to be an audible difference between a compressed source and a lossless, e.g. DTS-HD or TrueHD, source.

Also, there is the DIRECT mode, which will sound different anyway as it is bypassing any processing that you have engaged in STEREO. For example, in STEREO it includes any Audyssey EQ but DIRECT doesn't.

In my experience if the source has multiple soundtracks you can only choose/change which one you want in the player/source. The Sound mode choices on a Denon are only applicable to the current audio track.

I reconfigured my Denon as only having two front speakers and the sound modes I can choose are the various up mixing options, which are now acting as down mixers.

In Direct mode with only two speakers, down mixing is still taking place other wise there would be no dialogue on multi channel material.

D

Deleted member 901590

True @Dolus so the most likely thing the OP is experiencing then is between DIRECT and "x" other mode. Both downmixed, but one with processing (Audyssey etc) on and one without.

D

Deleted member 901590

In my experience if the source has multiple soundtracks you can only choose/change which one you want in the player/source.

I was getting mixed up. Thinking of, for example, in Netflix if the source is Atmos you can switch between Atmos and DD+. But the OP doesn't have height. And, it probably only does that where the Atmos is in the metadata (i.e. the source soundtrack is still DD+).

mhulsie

Standard Member
In my experience if the source has multiple soundtracks you can only choose/change which one you want in the player/source. The Sound mode choices on a Denon are only applicable to the current audio track.

I reconfigured my Denon as only having two front speakers and the sound modes I can choose are the various up mixing options, which are now acting as down mixers.

In Direct mode with only two speakers, down mixing is still taking place other wise there would be no dialogue on multi channel material.
The modes I described were indeed applicable to the track I was playing that moment.
When I play a TrueHD track I can choose (among others) from Stereo and TrueHD sound modes. I was curious wether there was a difference in processing between these two modes.

I find my speakers better sounding without Audyssey, I turned it off in Audio settings. Could be that in one of the sound modes Audyssey was still turned on, hence the difference in sound.

gibbsy

No matter what you choose any 5.1 track will be downmixed to 2.0 by the Denon. If the disc you are playing has an LPCM stereo mode then that track will already be downmixed to suit the film better. That may very well be your best choice as it doesn't need any further processing by the Denon.

If your music is from CD then I suggest using Pure Direct.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom