Denon x1300w 7.1 rear downmixing problem

mustafa sheir

Novice Member
i own a denon x1300w av receiver connected to my windows 10 pc via hdmi , my gpu card is 1080ti and tv is sammy 65ks9500

i have a 5.1.2 speaker configuration where the .2 set to top middle speakers , in denon manual this config is called 7.1 configuration with amp assigned to top middle

i was playing a bit-streamed file from pc "dtsX Channel Check" , when the left rear channel played it played through both side surrounds and same for the right rear, i tried another file "dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless-DWEU.mkv" and still same problems occurs, i tried a dolby file "dolby-truehd-channel-check-lossless-(www.demolandia.net).mkv" and all channels played correctly even the rear ones

i contacted denon and they advised resetting it but this didn't solve the issue, then they just advised me to send them the unit for checking, they didn't even try to reproduce the problem on their own to detect if this is a bug or not

i couldn't send them the unit too because it was shipped internationally and shipping fees will exceed the unit cost 3 or 4 times

so i wanted to discuss this issue , may be someone could shed the light on this , may be it is intentional or a bug then others will have it too , will appreciate the participation very much

if anyone with similar config could test this he will help me tremendously

my personal notes : 1. codec used for bit-streaming "mpc with lav filter", i also used windows media player and vlc but still same problem occurs
2. tested also with direct mode on
3. further investigations revealed this issue happens with rear channels from 7.1 dts signal bit-streamed to av unit 5.1 configuration, it also occurred when i turned off bit-streaming from lav filter and the signal was lpcm
4. when i set pc speaker setup to 7.1 from sound options and i try to test the rear channel it plays correctly on the corresponding side only ?! so i am lost here
5. i drew a simple diagram and attached to post so you can understand what i mean

Attachments

• speaker av.png
    speaker av.png
    434.5 KB · Views: 80

dante01

Distinguished Member
You've not got a 7.1 setup with back speakers so all audio inclusive of back channels will result in the back channels being mixed down into the surround channels and output via the surround speakers. DTS:X would also result in any rear height channels being represented via the surround speakers in the absence of back heightand back surrounds.

mustafa sheir

Novice Member
You've not got a 7.1 setup with back speakers so all audio inclusive of back channels will result in the back channels being mixed down into the surround channels and output via the surround speakers. DTS:X would also result in any rear height channels being represented via the surround speakers in the absence of back heightand back surrounds.

yup i agree with you but the problem here that the left rear signal plays through both left and right surrounds , also same happens with right rear signal

i think the logic thing that left rear signal should be played through left surround only but not both

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom