1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon vs Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Alpolini, Mar 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a surround receiver/amp and the choice is tough!

Denon AVR2105 vs Yamaha DSPAX750SE

More or less the same price but I am wondering if anybody HEARD the difference?

Yamaha is 10W more powerful but Denon has a Tuner. also Denon seems to be a more award winner.

I will be using it equally for Movies and Music. I listened to both of them last week in Belgium (Yamaha was cheaper there) and unlike what everybody says, Denon sounded better with music!?

Like everyone else I enjoy the deep bass sound and I understand that Denon 2105 has been upgraded in this respect against 1905 but mainly the hi freqs are more important for me.

Could you please share your views if you have experienced both.

Also I have considered paying and extra £200 and getting YAMAHA RXV1500RDS because it is THX certified, is it really worth the money??

Many thanks

Alp

p.s. I have asked similar questions in another thread - a new thread would be better I thought.

2. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be a very difficult choice to make, unless you have a particular favourite. However, there are millions of threads on these 2 models - I would advise you to read them.

Nevertheless, the answer you would get from most people is - that Denon IS more musical - but in the movies department, it would be hard to separate both of them. I had an earlier Yamaha with Dolby ProLogic and was extremely happy with it - especially for the broadcast material.

Before upgrading to the newer DSP-RXV750 (BTW: which has a tuner) - I also heard the Denon 2105/2805. It was a hard decision to make - but, I went for brand loyalty/familiarity and the sheer ease of use . The Yamaha is a very well built machine and has some nifty features to play around with, and integrates easily with existing and new speakers. That is not to say that Denon is any worse...

HTH

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    In my opinion there is very little to choose between these two amps. I would have said that the Denon had the edge in movies and steering, but that the Yamaha was the more musical of the two, you don't say what speakers you listened using though, it may be that this leveled the playing field a little.

As far as the 1500 is concerned, if your budget will stretch to it, then I would say go for it. Not necessarily for the THX certification (as this will not make a huge difference unless the rest of your system is similarly certified) but becuase the quality of the components and the sound is significantly better.

Just my 2c.

4. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i compared the AVR2105 and DSPAX750SE a couple of weeks ago and found the Yamaha to be noticably better for both music and movies (the difference seemed more pronounced for music if anything - made me wonder whether the hi-fi shop had actually set up the Denon properly...). went for the Yamaha and very happy with the upgrade from my Marantz SR5200 :smashin:

5. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +143
    I bought a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE on Wednesday and am very impressed with it. The global delay/lip-sync feature is wonderful. All my lip-sync problems have gone setting it at 60ms! The auto set-up worked a treat and what a sound this amp gives out. I love it! :clap:

6. joe1967

joe1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Yamaha RX-V1500 a few days ago (a bit less than 600 Euro - www.zarsen.de). Its sound is great. My wife - who initially thought this is just another man's toy - was extermly impressed. The stereo sound with pure direct is amazing, the surround is impressive as well.

7. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, I am off to Richer Sounds to demo all......

8. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Make sure you demo with the speakers that you will use at home. Amazing how a demo can sound really good in the store, then you buy & take home, connect to your speakers and setup in your environment AND it sounds like C^&p.

9. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to have the demo today for the denon 2105. It was really good but not jaw dropping (as they said in what hifi mag).

It was not as bright as I expected. 2 mission m30i ans 2 front 700 series was used. There was also a b&w £500 sub used. In summary the high freqs did not impress me. Mid was ok, lowend was ok. I was expectin a system like this to shake the room but it didn't.

The guy at the shop admitted that I should listen to the yamaha750 since it is more brighter sound. But unfortunately there is not shops in birmingham where I can demo for these. I managed to see in dixons a much lover spec yahama, something like 240 and even that sounded much brighter to me.

So yamaha owners out there, would you aggree that yamahas are much brighter (crispier, better in treble etc..) than denon????????

Many thanks

10. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I own the Yammy and when driven with my Mission M34is in pure direct mode, it sounds soooo much better than my mates Denon AVR2105 with Acoustic Energy Evo3s. My setup sounds cleaner throughout the frequency range and is able to go loud with less efort. It'll also play at louder levels. Also, we live in the same street so the layout is exactly the same, meaning the acoustics and nodes must be similar too.
    I haven't listened to his in home cinema mode so I can't really comment on that, but for music the 750 is definately the way to go.
    Happy Shopping!!

11. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have a friend who's workmate owns a Denon 2805. I have not heard it myself but when he listened to my Yamaha 650 a few weeks ago for the first time he said it was a LOT better than the Denon. Much more defined sound...tighter and cleaner.

I am planning to go and have a listen to it myself as I believe the 2805 and 650 are equivalent models so would be interested to see if there is reall that much of a difference...plus I am not sure what speakers he is using other than a Rel Quake sub. I am using Eltax Chroma speakers with a Paradigm sub.

12. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +143
    I find my 750SE to be beautifully balanced with a deep, precise bass and a crisp, clean, sweet top. Every detail can be heard without it having to be driven too hard. It's a very fine amp indeed and getting it with £150 off the retail price (£350 at Richer Sounds), I'm still smiling! :D

13. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    I have done the 2805 v 1500 demo at home (System was Denon 2910 into a Phillips 32pf9986 LCD, Naim N-cent - the front left/rights were pre-outed into a Naim 2808-hicap-250.2 SL2's - with B&W solids as rears)

I found the Denon more refined all round, and also found the set-up/menu's easier to use. I think again that if you can you need to get them home for a demo sat on yer own settee!

andy c!

14. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

If you needed another Yammy users opinion...mine is fantastic with both movies and music, had it since Christmas and still very very impressed :clap: :clap:

Shane

15. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I think my mind is set.

Yamaha will be the one for my type of ears. I did not have a chance to listen to the 750s but I listened to a lower spec one. It was a rxv350 and even that sounded much crispier/brighter than the Denon. Even on the way to the car park with my head down (not being able to listen to the yamaha i want or any of the speakers) I luckly spotted a small hi-fi shop which had all the speakers I was after in a line.

The mission m30i sounded seriously different than it did when connected to the denon. They had a marantz amp and I listened to the same song over and over again between the 4 speakers I was interested. Mission by far beats Acoustic energy Evos both in hi and low ends but the Mordaunt Short 900 series is the one for my ears. It is lacking missions bass capacity but I am hoping to fill that with a Velodyne sub. (with a little help from friends in my other thread)

So I am off to get MY award winner Yamaha sometime this week, and I guess my next questions will be on how to set it up :)

Thanks all.......

Alp

16. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (not the British model but the European-like the german model) and also considered the Marantz 5500 and Onkyo 602. In a head to head comparison I did between the Yamaha and the Onkyo when M&K K5s where connected the Onkyo was a clear winner-the Yamaha started distorting the sound much before the onkyo. The same was true when comparing the Marantz and the Yamaha but I haven't compared the Yamaha and the Denon yet. But, considering the poor results of the Yamaha compared to the Onkyo and the Marantz, I must admit the Yamaha is definitely the worst of all of these three.
    Check the Marantz and Onkyo too guys.

17. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the european version of the 750, it's by far the easiest receiver to use, the programmable remote is the best things ever, i got one remote instead of 4 now...even my girlfriend likes it and thinks it's pretty easy to use. For movies the yamaha is unbeaten, the analytical, crisp sound with the very well defined voices (which are always audible very well) make it a rich and almost intense experience with most movies.

For music, i usually use the surround settings (Prologic II music), it's on the bright side, but then again i don't have a subwoofer, but yamaha makes sure you'll never get tired of the music, it sounds light and precies. I'm really happy, just make sure you got a good musical subwoofer else it might be a bit too bright.

The denon 2105 looks horrible in my opinion by the way, but should be pretty much the same as the yamaha, all tests and reviews show this too, it doesn't have lipsync, video upconversion to component though!

The onkyo looks horrible too, and is a bit more expensive,

18. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    The European version of the Yammy is different from the UK version. Firstly theres an improved power supply for the UK version, therefore making it louder than it's European counterpart. The sound is also tuned specifically for the UK market. Don't even bother comparing the two!!

19. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I am going for Yamaha, I am starting to think about the connections.
    I bought the QED Qunex Component Cable to connect between the Pioneer 575 DVD player and the amp and same but longer cable between the amp and TV. For the freeview tuner, its the sony one, there is only Scart-rgb OUT and optical. I got an optical cable for sound but for the picture I am not sure. The yamaha will only accept, RBG, Composite or SVid. It has component up ability. Shall I buy Scart to Component or the cheaper Scart to Svid and let the amp do the work?? Would that make a difference you think??

thanks

alp

20. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alp,

You will never look back. You can expect big things from the Yamaha. I'm still very pleased with my Yam 640SE and Mordaunt-Short Avant setup. Really well balanced. Great stuff.

21. Kryton3000

Kryton3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 2105 manual says it can record from one source (video out) and playback another source (monitor out) simultaniously.

Yamaha 750 manual does not say this is possible anywhere. Could someone with a Yammy 750 please confirm whether this is possible or not?